Engine trouble on Grandeur

I think that is very very fair compensation and far better than a future credit.

Sent from my B1-730HD using Tapatalk

I made no 'judgement' as to fairness. My comment was that it was different from what I had previous ever heard and that some people might not like how any remainder was returned to them.

I made no 'judgement' as to fairness. My comment was that it was different from what I had previous ever heard and that some people might not like how any remainder was returned to them.

I posted my opinion not as any response to yours, but as my own standalone thought. I still think an actual refund onboard is better than a future cruise credit; as one represents money back in your pocket immediately, the other is a discount in the future if you choose to spend more money. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy that any overage be refunded to their credit card...

My wife became ill on our cruise a couple years ago and they quarantined her to our cabin for 24 hours. They gave us a future cruise credit equivalent to a prorated amount of her cruise fare. You may also receive something similar if your husband was quarantined. Also, it was only good for one year and unfortunately we were unable to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I just got off GotS and didn't notice any widespread noro. The 20% fare refund in OBC was nice. First cruise ever where I came off the ship with a negative OBC balance, and that was with the premium drink package and $100 in take-home liquor.

Overall it was a positive experience.

Hello!

We just got off the Grandeur too:

1) I'm sorry you got sick! It seems like not so many people were, except some seasickness as it was rocky - not unusually rocky but more prolonged than I've experienced in the past (3 days straight of even moderate rocking can cause one to get a bit green!).

2) 20%?!! We got about 14% back!! And its not like everyone got the same amount but our cruise cost more - unless you only had 2 in your room? We had an interior stateroom, paid around $2700 for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Overall it was a great cruise. So many people bitching and complaining about missing Labadee, but honestly, we had a beautiful day on the ship, they added fun stuff for kids especially (the movie at the pool was great!), discounts on drinks and spa services all day, and everyone seemed to have had a wonderful time.

See you in January, Grandeur!!

And before anyone accuses me of being Typhoid Mary, we were at sea FOUR DAYS :eek: before I fell ill. Pretty sure I got it on the ship!

Not necesarily. I just passed my ServSafe certification and the National Restaurant Association states in the study book that it can take up to 2 weeks for your Noro symptoms to appear AND you're infectious up to 2 weeks AFTER your symptoms are gone. So you could have been exposed to the virus 2 weeks prior to you boarding.

I attended the Captains Corner talk this morning. Captain elaborated that the engine issue was due to a leak in the engine oil heat exchanger. The problem would be repaired en route during return to Baltimore and would not impact the 3/30 sailing.

For my trouble and the rest of my fellow passengers, we were all given a 20% cruise fare refund applied to our on board account. Any remaining credit at the end of the sailing would be refunded to our credit card on file.

We are on the April 9 sailing and hope that everything is ok for that sailing!

I looked at the AIS tracking data this morning and at at least one point Grandeur was doing 18+ knots. I think that should indicates pretty close to normal performance.

Roy

This is kind of the problem with ships with only 4 diesels. If one is down for scheduled maintenance (and a scheduled overhaul can take 2-3 weeks), and another engine goes south, you're down to reduced speeds. From a previous poster, it sounds like one of the engines developed water in its lube oil, which shut the engine down automatically, and the engineers were then dismantling the oil cooler to find and repair the leak. A minor problem, that gets magnified if the "spare" engine isn't available (I can't confirm that another engine was down for maintenance, but it sure sounds that way).

Sinusoid...sorry for the medical issues you and your DH are having.:( Hope you are both feeling much better soon and that the bug is contained ASAP!

Also sorry to hear about the engine problems.:eek: Hope they can get that issue handled efficiently and quickly too. I am looking forward to boarding one month from today!:D Please keep us posted on any further info you hear about the situation.;) Thanx.

Will be sailing the grand old Grandeur in August and can't wait.....K.O.:)

I posted my opinion not as any response to yours, but as my own standalone thought. I still think an actual refund onboard is better than a future cruise credit; as one represents money back in your pocket immediately, the other is a discount in the future if you choose to spend more money. I can't imagine anyone being unhappy that any overage be refunded to their credit card...
I have to agree with you on this one. Would much rather be compensated this way, very nice indeed!....:)...K.O.

This is kind of the problem with ships with only 4 diesels. If one is down for scheduled maintenance (and a scheduled overhaul can take 2-3 weeks), and another engine goes south, you're down to reduced speeds. From a previous poster, it sounds like one of the engines developed water in its lube oil, which shut the engine down automatically, and the engineers were then dismantling the oil cooler to find and repair the leak. A minor problem, that gets magnified if the "spare" engine isn't available (I can't confirm that another engine was down for maintenance, but it sure sounds that way).

At the Captain's Corner, the engineer said the three engines were on line and fine. The fourth engine was still not fixed as of Tuesday around noon and when asked, the Captain said they would sail that way without issue. The Captain mentioned being able to do 16-17 knots on two engines and 20 with three. It's the last 2-3 knots when they need the fourth engine. The Captain didn't want to take a chance that one of the remaining engines of the three would develop an issue and us not being bale to make it back to Baltimore in time. The crew worked on the issue since late Saturday night.

The 20% refund was very generous and more than made up for the missed port.

BTW, for those that mentioned that RCI gives Haiti $12pp for the stop in Labadee, the refund was $6.55

Edited by Biker19

The ship is traveling at 18.5 knots right now we are still in the bay no schedule changes have been announced the captain said we would have to average 20 knots to get to Labadee on time I guess we will have to wait until we get into the ocean to see if we can get to full speed.

Not necesarily. I just passed my ServSafe certification and the National Restaurant Association states in the study book that it can take up to 2 weeks for your Noro symptoms to appear AND you're infectious up to 2 weeks AFTER your symptoms are gone. So you could have been exposed to the virus 2 weeks prior to you boarding.

I don't know if they meant generalized food poisoning (which is often bacterial), but Noro doesn't take anywhere near that long.

http://www.cdc.gov/hai/pdfs/norovirus/229110-ANoroCaseFactSheet508.pdf