On ANTHEM 3/27, lazy notes and quickies

"Lazy notes and quickies" means that I simply can't do (match) what the 'great live posters do. I'm going to jump on once a while with some quick notes.

Flew into Newark on Friday AM, bumped up to a stretch LIMO to Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson; Room 502 overlooking Manhattan. Great, clean, friendly place; very scenic. Spent a day in lower Manhattan; especially the 911 memorial and surrounding area. Spend each evening hours looking at the skyline as the sun set and illuminated it; being overtaken by darkness then the lights of the skyscrapers. Very nice. Breakfast really great, not big eaters, look for something new and/or healthy. Met other cruisers. Had light sushi/noodle dinners at Honshu a block and a half away; really great. Had planned a 10am taxi via valet/desk; got there and were told it would be an hour. We had noticed taxis around entrance to PATH sub to Manhattan during am walk; I went and got one on our own. don't know if true; driver alleged the operators at the hotel had deal with cabbies for 20% and kept others out. Again, don't know if true, just what it is.

Boarding the ship took 15 minutes, same as Quantum last year. Headed to 270 for a mid 2-seat with table and settled in. Drink package worked by paper Set Sail Pass for about an hour; then we were in the system. I had the obligatory 'roast beef (good, but Oasis and Allure have got this nailed). The place filled rather quickly and we were OK to go to the rooms around 1pm.

Our stateroom is deck 13 port forward under solarium. Nice, clean, huge storage; but it is just us two. Have nice families with multiple rooms on each side and parents abut us. :)

Muster was hilarious; technical difficulties with the video in the main theatre and audio as well. Got the good old 'down and dirty live as crew scrambled to get life jackets on. We laughed and applauded. I thought 100 pax were gonna die on the stairs after muster; yikes, take a break on a couple of floors.

Nothing was to deter the Captain, he said we are heading out. Under the bridge and off we went. The demographics are well balanced and the ship is evenly utilized. Already did bumper cars (never got on on Quantum); got to go early and each line section represents 10 minutes and a test run on florider (need major practice).

Had dinner at Grande on first night as Quantum last year. The restaurant, elegant. The service, a 5 out of 5. The food, oh well, can't have it all. Apps included lobster bisque (tastes great, cold plate, warm bisque), escargot (pretty tasty and hot) and duck terraine (new for us, was pretty good). Glass of Kim Crawford Sav Blanc, ice cold and great. Entree's, of well. My wifes' filet was about 3/4 of an inch thick, unimpressive, and tasted accordingly (she also ask for aus jous on the side, it came in a pool of it). My lobster tail was a 1 out of 10, sorry. Unlike last year, and at Coastal Kitchen, someone decided to change from splitting the lobster tail, shell down and retaining the lobster, broth and butter in the shell; now opting to rip the tail out of the shell, flip it outside and serve (everything left mine, natural juice and butter, and dry as heck).

Day 1 at sea saw a busy day everywhere, and even 70+ in the afternoon brought out upper sundeckers. Walking workout nice track 'before sunbathers get settled in. Nice group of passengers; really not any issues noticed anywhere, very courteous and friendly. Caught some rays inside Solarium, resting most of Day 1.

Wonderland was on for the night and it was 'better than before (because we learned to try everything). Unusual, unique, tasty takes on what we get in the real world menus. We tried everything 'fish side and 'meat side and asked for more of whatever was really good (liquid lobster, had 2 each). Great ending with 'shortrib slow cooked all day and a fish (name escapes me) perfectly presented and prepared; tasted great. Wife finished with 'candy bar that she said was good. It was really a good time.

Day 2 at sea the 'daily said LABADEE. Don't think so, many took a double look. Watched sun rise from Solarium hot tub, did our exercises, had a healthy smooth special, bloody mary and breakfast at Solarium (2nd day in row). Very nice cold fish; first salmon, today smoked something; wife does oatmeal, crunchy stuff, fruits, etc. Nice alternative to WJ, and a couple of steps from our stateroom.

Well, that my lazy notes and quickies so far. The ship is awesome. Got Jamies tonight and show in theatre. Got to get a long walk in on track before though.

Take care.

Yes, Patti reported that major changes are coming:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49549933#post49549933

Thanks. I did see that.

I am one of those people though, that until its announced, I will have to hear it from multiple sources before I believe it. Always looking for additional credible sources.

mark

Thanks. I did see that.

I am one of those people though, that until its announced, I will have to hear it from multiple sources before I believe it. Always looking for additional credible sources.

mark

Mark, We are on the June 30 sailing as well... I will be disappointed if they do away with the rotational dining as that was one of the big things I liked about this cruise... Will be interesting to hear what they do with the dining. Right now we are set for late classic seating.

Mark, We are on the June 30 sailing as well... I will be disappointed if they do away with the rotational dining as that was one of the big things I liked about this cruise... Will be interesting to hear what they do with the dining. Right now we are set for late classic seating.

We have half of our party of 11 (6) on classic early and the other 5 on DD with reservations all over the map.

I don't mind the change, but I want to know what it will look like, and when it will be happening.

I'm a planner, and until this is resolved, I am a little anxious...

Edited by nycglitter

We have half of our party of 11 (6) on classic early and the other 5 on DD with reservations all over the map.

I don't mind the change, but I want to know what it will look like, and when it will be happening.

I'm a planner, and until this is resolved, I am a little anxious...

I feel you on that! I am also a planner but I love to try different things. I really can't stand this up in the air business. I would prefer if they went all DD so I could actually see all 4 restaurants rather than keep the classic and split them up and then you can only see 1 of the 4 which seems pointless to even have 4 different ones.

OK. More quickies, then take a look at any Q&A's later. Wife showering.

Left off at heading for Jamie's. Well, it did not disappoint at all. The restaurant was nice and clean and we chose to sit as two near the hand rail to the center corridor of the ship. We been to Jamies on other ships and we basically make sure it is still the same 'try what you want. We started with the "crispy squid (calamari) and the arancini marherita rice balls (first time, tomato, mozzarella risotto). The calamari and squid was a really well presented, small portion; it was the best, sweetest, lightest batter I've had, the calamari was sweet and melted and the squid legs easy and a nice fit for the sauce. It was GREAT. The arancini marherita rice balls with the tomato and arrabiatta sauce was an awesome surprise. It was a great start. We talked with both other twosomes near us, the waiter was really good and let us mingle and mix our conversation. I followed that with scottadita lamb chops and my wife had thebolognese ragu; for tasting, we added ½ size portions of whatever else we wanted. I added a spaghetti with tomatoes with sauce with some heat (not on menu); wife was content. She is a dessert person and selected a couple of rich chocolate items she said was really good; I had a tawny port wine (several actually). GREAT EXPERIENCE.

It was time to head to main theatre for THE GIFT. We were just in time getting in and still walked right down to 10 rows offstage on the right side. I thought the show was OK, didn’t really ‘get me into it. My wife like it. The AUDIENCE LOVED IT; standing ovation. We were told that the performers, who also are the “WE WILL ROCK YOU” performers, would be performing this show as their last show as their contract was up; the new performers would be taking the shows for the rest of the cruise. Maybe that is why the audience gave a really special standing ovation.

We then crashed and ended a great Day 3.

Day 4 we arrived in Labadee. A bit overcast, but warm and when the sun broke through, downright hot and humid. Yeah. I was scheduled for the Dragons Breath zip line; I hate heights and the tower on the top of the cliff, but I’ve got BUCKET LISTS and this continues to be one. I don’t even have coffee or breakfast before this; a touch of anxiety. As I approached sign in I realized I left my ticket (in stateroom when we arrived) back on ship. Oh well, wife took a seat in the covered picnic tables where they were ‘smoking the grills, and I headed back to the ship. Returned just in time for my group. It is a slow process, but OK with me; had to sign more waivers, get ‘slinged up, and headed to the practice zip line. The walkway of stone would meet code in North America, but got the blood moving. We had a female ‘guide, a tiny little one but ‘firm and in control. As a single rider she grouped me with a 7 group that broke 4 and 3 (I completed the 4 as the 5th person). AGAIN, NICE CRUISERS on this cruise; everyone was talking to each other like we’ve known each other for years. Everyone did well on the trial run and he got seated in the apparent old army truck for the ‘ride of the island (makes Disney’s Animal Kingdom Kilimanjaro Safari ride look like for toddlers!) up the small mountain. It was a ride in itself on what they call THE BEST HIGHWAY IN HAITI. Yikes. When you get to the top and see the tower, cliff, beach and Anthem in the distance you realize the “safest way back down is the zipline; not the truck.” Our group was first, and let me be honest, after getting the first safety clip on and being told to walk out on the metal platform, my anxiety peeks. After she got the two carabiner’s and had me get in the torpedo position it was a little better but I was sweating big time. In minutes everyone was all set and off we went, GREAT RUSH down the cliff to the beach, then slowing at ball market 3-4 into a ‘chicken position to help slow you down so you don’t get abrasions on the breaking coils. GREAT RUSH for 45-50 seconds. Walked off to the side where I saw my wife in the observation with the iPhone in video mode. I said ‘that was great; she was taken aback and said “when did you come down?” SHE MISSED ME. So she took a video of me taking the sling off. Oh well. I usually do a couple of Coors Light right after the zipline and did again; takes me quite a while for the ‘juices to settle down.

We had others take photos of us with the Anthem in the background and headed back to the ship to ‘chill.

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT in the Solarium was not expected, and the adrenaline would need to be kicked in once again.

That post will follow later tonight. Scheduled for North Star that afternoon and Chops in the evening; had to make a few adjustments.

Following. If you have time later, can you look at the post I just started regarding the weather on the Anthem? Just posted this question and then saw your post. Many thanks

Curious to hear about your solarium experience

Curious if they are still confirming change to classic on the ship.

I don't know. We are dynamic dining, however there is quite a bit of talk among passengers re: both. We've heard everything from 'back to classic only, 'classic only a 1-2 restaurants, 'dynamic only at one; all over the place. We are uniquely early, early diners; so we don't have any issues with the 5:30-6:00 starts anywhere.

We have been surveyed (paper) at each evening restaurant so far; it has our table, time and date and you rate service and food and can comment (optional to add stateroom).

There is a thread on CC that is quite active stating that the Maitre D told a Pinnacle Member that after April 30, the dining rooms on deck 3 will be for traditional dining with 2 seatings, the dining rooms on deck 4 will be for MTD. Out will be the 4 different styles of restaurants, and in will be the normal Royal Caribbean menus. Also the Solarium Bistro will be for Suite guests only.

Edited by dedosr

Great cliffhanger!

We really do 'just the zipline (me). We used to do the mountain coaster and walk the beaches but we've been here before, live on a fresh water lake have boat and sea doo's; so we head back to the 'billion dollar Anthem. I really do get overly 'rushed on the zip line. Pre-zip anxiety, the rush, post zip adrenaline rush (used to run for 20 years, reminds me of endorphin kinda) and back to the ship for 'a couple of something.

We got our gear set up in the Solarium near one of the 6 open windows* (more on those later). It was hot, but overcast quite a bit. We haven't had one of those pure sun days yet and I haven't even used any lotion (but aware). Wife and I talked to bartenders about the zip line and that I need a 'really good Vodka martini. We talked about the experience and tried to coax on of the bartenders to try it one day with her onboard working husband. NO WAY she says.

So, chilling out in the loungers, about half hour passes, I thought I'd get another drink and try to take a nap as my wife does with ease (I'm used to coffee at work after lunch). That's an 'excuse not a 'reason.:cool:

I started to walk the 50' to the Solarium bar and saw out of the corner of my eye this elderly woman 'go down hard. She was walking toward the bar and caught the rounded corner of the last lounge chair and she went down; sort of stuck on the lounger and face into the deck. She immediately had a pool of blood the size of a small dinner plate below her knee and calf area of one leg.

(Now, I was a ski patrol for 8-10 years and a youth, teen league multi-sport coach for three sons; so first aid "intro" is about the most I've done. T-bar ski injuries to the face, baseball bats to the head near the on deck cage, etc. All I remember was ICE - Ice, compression and elevation.)

So, I go in a position to secure her leg and requested clean towels from nearby pax (all great). She had really, soft, aged skin and it was torn open; varicose veins, and I just compressed everything gently into the first towel. We got ice and I wrapped another layer and kept compressed. Then a lady assisted me in putting folded towels under her leg to elevate while I held compression.

A firefighter vacationing had taken up at her head, secured her head and spoke to her. At first she appear 'out but she was responding. We asked about meds and if on blood thinners. She sort of popped up once and he helped her relax. I told him when she did that I felt blood flow (squirt); he then kept her still.

This seemed like an hour. It was mere minutes before the 911 alpha crew of 10+ arrived. They were awesome, a lady knelt next to me, I told her the above, she took over. They had me go soap and water the blood off and that was that. They had her on her way in minutes. Pretty impressive.

Had a drink with the firefighter shortly thereafter.

In the meantime my wife is 'wondering where the heck I am. She see's the commotion, worries it is me, then see's my head. Many pax came to say nice job. I had another drink and laid down on the lounger. Between the zipline and this, SLEPT almost 3-hours RIGHT THROUGH North Star reservation.

Showered up, and off to Chops Grille.

The above is unique and leave this post at that. Will get to Chops, then on to San Juan on DAY 4, a post dedicated to 'onboard thoughts on some things (* Solarium windows and use of Solarium at night or Adult late night DJ parties) and 270 during non-show times).

- - - We tried to follow-up at medical center that evening but we were not family members so (appropriately) couldn't tell us much other than she was OK and that she had family members with her. An officer informally told me that she may need medical attention in San Juan, an again said she had family with her. - - -

Whoa!!! Poor lady. My son fell face first when he tripped around the corner of one of those sun chairs too. You have to be careful walking up on those decks with all of the sun chairs. It happened in the solarium on the oasis. Thankfully, he was able to get up and keep on moving.

I hope the woman is OK and I'm sure she was thankful that you're there for her. So sad about you missing your reservation though. What a bummer.