Ladies: Do you wear the same outfit twice?

trubey

Ladies: Do you wear the same outfit twice? Do you notice if someone else does? Do you care? Does it matter?

Today was my day for pulling out all my clothes for the trip. I started with what I knew I wanted and then kept adding outfits until I ran out of ideas. At this point, there is a stack of about 11 things. On a 15 day cruise, this will mean I'll be in the same daytime things two or three times and the same with my dinner wardrobe.

I'd love to open this up for discussion. susana.

On back-to-back cruises I wear the same outfits the second segment as I did the first - just the change the oder around. Afterall - 98% of the passengers are new. And the crew really don't care (I hope).

But on long cruises - 21 days - never do I repeat anything.

I have lists for short cruises and long cruises.

Do I watch to see if anyone repeats anything - no. Do I care if they - no.

In preparing for our upcoming 15 day Hawaii R/T, I will be repeating some outfits, and I will also be doing the Mix 'n Match thing. I somehow can't see being overburdened with luggage, especially when we are flying to the port. When we lived in Florida and drove to FLL, I never repeated an outfit. Do I care if people repeat--No!

I don't just because i always pack too much and i get the stink eye if my hubby doesnt see new outfits each day/evening!

I do not mind/care when people rewear their outfits! I don't see why anyone would care or even notice!

I have a closet full of clothes in every category possible, but when I pack for a cruise, I only take what is necessary. That means repeating outfits, sometimes more than once. I always make sure they are clean either by self-laundry or sending them to the ship's service before wearing again. I don't care what people wear as long as they meet the dress code and treat us with respect. The clothing does not make the person IMHO. I once cruised with a gal that changed outfits at least 3x a day. I thought she was silly. Go ahead and repeat if you feel inclined. Happy Sailing!

I'll repeat daytime outfits (shorts, t-shirts ect), but I won't wear the exact same evening outfit twice. I may wear the same pants with a different shirt or visa-versa. I don't notice if other people repeat outfits. Don't really care either. :)

I am a repeater - that is why I pretty much stick to dark slacks - can wear them again with different tops. Also same with shorts - they get worn again unless I spill something on them. We are also leaving on 16 day cruise next week on Westerdam and there is no self laundry on board - so HAL will be doing some washing for us in the next few weeks. With being limited on suitcase, we can't possible bring 32 outfits with us (minimum 2 changes a day X 16 days + extras) - so off to the laundry they will go! But even at home, I wear jeans more than one time unless something is spilled - we never wear stained, stinky clothes though (although DH probably would if he thought I would let him.......that is such a man thing!) - I don't pay attention if people wear something twice - just dress for the occasion and I am happy......;) We were on HAL cruise to Alaska a few years ago and one gentleman wore the same pair of pants for the entire cruise - we know they were the same, not just same color, because they had a very noticeable stain on them and it was there every single day - I dare say, I don't USUALLY notice if people are repeating their clothes - but this was one time you couldn't NOT notice!!! :eek:

On our cruise (1 week from Sunday...yay!!!) I'll definitely be wearing daytime clothes more than once. I'll also mix and match because that's almost my middle name:) .

But somehow I overpurchased my evening wear (formal and informal) so I'll have something different for those nights). With 7 casual nights, there will be mixing and matching going on again.

And I can say for almost positive that not one person is going to notice and they're certainly not going to care:D .

I repeat my daytime wear (thanks to self serve laundry) but other than maybe wearing the same pair of dress slacks more than once with different blouses, my evening wear is usually different each night. On long cruises, 35 days, I repeat pretty much every other week. Overall, I don't think anyone notices what I wear nor do they care as long as it's up to code for that day. I don't think I've ever really noticed if someone else wore the same thing twice except at our own table and it never mattered a hoot. Enjoy your travels. ;)

I'll repeat daytime outfits (shorts, t-shirts ect), but I won't wear the exact same evening outfit twice. I may wear the same pants with a different shirt or visa-versa. I don't notice if other people repeat outfits. Don't really care either. :)

My thoughts exactly!!!! Great minds think alike!!!!

I always wear a different outfit each evening. As far as day time, I do wear the same pair of shorts or the same skirt with different tops several times. I use the ship's laundry and dry cleaning services.

As far as noticing what other people are wearing, I can't say that I really do. If I do it would be the extremes. I would notice if someone was dressed outlandishly over the top, extremely off code, or especially if they were dressed extremely well. Do I really care enough that it would negatively effect my enjoyment of my cruise? Not really. Depending on their presentation, it may even enhance my experience.

Do I actually remember what other people are wearing from one day to the next? No. I see my need to dress differently as my mishagos. It just makes me feel better. I expect others to do the same. I don't expect that others will remember what I wear. It always surprises me when they do.

Linda:)

So, it pretty much seems that we all think about the same thing—wear your outfits or your mix-and-match combinations—once, twice, or how ever much you are comfortable with. Conforming to the dress code, and staying neat and tidy, seems to be more important than the actual attire.

And nobody, even those who wear a different outfit each day, says that it would bother them, if they did notice it on others.

There just does seem to be a limit of how much you can pack and carry. We have two weeks on the cruise where the weather will be in the 60s, two weeks in Key West where it will be much warmer, and then a week in Detroit where it could snow. So many decisions.

Thanks to all.

I just thought of another question: do you always change for dinner?

In the past I have had two separate outfits for two formal nights. For our upcoming cruise, I think i will bring black pants and a jacket and a couple of different tops which will make the outfits look different. We used to pack with one carry-on suitcase each and a shlep bag. When we went on our South America cruise, we bought huge suitcases to accommodate the summer to winter attire and have used huge ones ever since. They can be a big drag if you run into problems.

No one seems to notice and what you wear doesn't seem to affect your good time or anyone else's for that matter.

One year we had a major snowstorm coming up, so we packed in a hurry and went to the airport the night before so we wouldn't miss our flight (we stayed in a hotel at the airport). When we got on the ship, I realized that I had forgotten to pack my pantsuits. I looked a bit drab, but we had a fantastic time. If our tablemates felt sorry for me they never said anything. They were all beautifully dressed and I was wearing daytime attire at night.

I am getting tired of bringing clothing that I don't wear. I am going to pack very carefully for our next trip. It is only 7 days. I will manage with the help of the laundry and dry cleaning.

Roberta

Thirty-five days: eight formal, seven informal, twenty casual. Of course I repeat outfits!

I have a black skirt and four beaded tops of different colors; they get repeated once. Informal is easy since I have more than enough informal clothes to have a different outfit every night. Casual is difficult; I don't have that many in my closet, so I bring about 6-7 of those and wear each one three times.

Daytime clothes get repeated much more than that. Two sweatshirts, two t-shirts, two white slacks, and about 7 muu muu-type dresses rotate.

Of course I notice what others wear; I'm a woman. We do that. Do I care? Not if it's appropriate and clean. I even like to see some outfits again if they're especially attractive. And I especially notice the jewelry.

Does it matter? Well, since I do it I sure hope not!

As far as the follow-up question goes, yes, I always change for dinner. I even have two identical dreses---one is ten years old and faded, the replacement is fine. The older one is daytime; the replacement is evening.

But I have seen some people on cruises who consistently did not change. (Like I said: I notice.) Yuck.

Ruth, I'm appalled!!! You repeat outfits???:eek:

Yes, I always change for dinner. That's not to say that I never wear something for casual night that I would wear during the day, but it's never the same. The only exception is the first night when I generally wear to dinner whatever I wore that day, but that depends on whether I'm feeling "grundgy":) .

Iggi! Very funny:D ... good to see you're paying attention;) .

I notice what others wear but only to the point of whether they look nice or not. If someone wore something to formal night at the beginning of the cruise and wore it again toward the end of the cruise, I have to admit I probably wouldn't notice ... unless, of course, it was particularly obvious like a very glittery top or something.

Well, dang there, Iggi, I was formulating my reply and read yours and thought WHAT? That's what I just said - almost word for word. And then along came Kalena with "my thoughts exactly".... do GMTA or are we just unoriginal??

What Iggi said.

:rolleyes: Took so many clothes (7 suitcases) on our 11-day Holiday cruise last year that by night #5 I didn't have a clue what I had already worn to dinner! Yes, I always change from daytime into evening outfits ... but those "informal" nights had me so confused I couldn't remember what I had already coordinated with what! Have vowed to travel with 1/2 the amount of clothing this Thanksgiving! :p Would still prefer only two dinner attire codes: formal nights and "elegant" casual nights!

If someone wore something to formal night at the beginning of the cruise and wore it again toward the end of the cruise, I have to admit I probably wouldn't notice ... unless, of course, it was particularly obvious like a very glittery top or something.

I do several formal events a year on land and for the longest swore I would never wear basic black since 90% of the women seemed to. However, a couple of years ago I finally gave in and bought several basic black formal outfits for this very reason. These formal events all involve at least some crossover of the same people and I had a closet full of flashy, colorful formal wear I had no opportunity to ever wear again because it might be remembered. NO ONE except the most persnickety clothes police are going to notice whether the basic black you have on this dinner is the same one you wore 6 months ago! Basic black is essentially basic black.

That said, I'm bringing my color on the cruise - FINALLY a chance to wear some of this stuff again. Now if I can lose the 10 lbs it will take to get into my favorite one from 1999.....

Ruth, I'm appalled!!! You repeat outfits???:eek:

Yes, Heather. Be appalled if you must, but please remember I'm neither a clothes horse nor a pack horse!

I took the "lug" out of "luggage" years ago. :D I can do a 35-day cruise---to the ice areas of the world!---on two suitcases.

I repeated a dinner outfit for the first time on our last cruise. Injuries and advanced years have taken their toll so I cannot yank heavy bags off the airport luggage carousels any more. The repeat was for formal night but it turned out not to be traumatic as we had dinner at the Captain's table one night and our regular table the second one. I think that I will be able to repeat comfortably on the next cruise even without the help of the Captain. My biggest problem, and one that will probably never be solved, is always wearing something different for the boarding photo. I have every one of them going back to 1979. After a few cruises I noticed that I had on a different outfit each time so it became a tradition that I have something new for each cruise. I also noticed that my husband had on the same shirt in several of the pictures. That has not become a traditional.

Well, dang there, Iggi, I was formulating my reply and read yours and thought WHAT? That's what I just said - almost word for word. And then along came Kalena with "my thoughts exactly".... do GMTA or are we just unoriginal??

heh..we just all very smart and sophisticated. :)

Oh...and to answer Turbey's 2nd question..I change for dinner every day except for the 1st day. I most likely wear different jewlery or nicer shoes to dinner, but that's about it.

Archived