Can you use OBC to tip Haven butler, concierge, etc?

jmae2002

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if we can use our OBC (refundable) to tip our Haven butler, concierge, etc. at the end of the cruise or do we have to bring cash with us to do so?

Is we can - what is the process to do it?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if we can use our OBC (refundable) to tip our Haven butler, concierge, etc. at the end of the cruise or do we have to bring cash with us to do so?

Is we can - what is the process to do it?

Thanks!

We have. Go to Guest Services, give them the name of the butler and concierge and the amount you want to give as a tip. They fill out a form to deposit the amount in the crew members account and give you a copy to give to the person. We usually write a short thank you note and enclose the voucher copy.

We have. Go to Guest Services, give them the name of the butler and concierge and the amount you want to give as a tip. They fill out a form to deposit the amount in the crew members account and give you a copy to give to the person. We usually write a short thank you note and enclose the voucher copy.

Perfect - thank-you!

Just out of curiousity - do you know if you can use non-refundable OBC to do this as well (we may have some non-refundable as well)?

Just out of curiousity - do you know if you can use non-refundable OBC to do this as well (we may have some non-refundable as well)?

Yes, you can use non-refundable for that.

The answer to the original question is that you can use refundable to absolutely everything charged to your onboard account.

• 2 months later...
Perfect - thank-you!

I have $300. OBC from NCL's World Points program and they told me no YOU CAN'T USE THIS NON-REFUNDABLE OBC for any tip's!:(

Only refundable.

Now I'm totally confused!:confused:

Anyone?

No need to shout, please.

As already said earlier in the thread, only thing non-refundable OBC can't be used to is the daily service charge. Everything else is fair game - including tips/auto-gratuities in bars/restaurants and extra tips directly to named employees.

Just my experience on our May Gem cruise.....I had a combination of OBCs (refundable and non refundable --though by next to last day..I am sure all that was left was nonrefundable)..We did tip butler and concierge using my onboard account..absolutely no problem. I did also ask a few days ahead of time re: whether I was restricted on kind to use...told...no...

As usual....NCL does give conflicting info on website, and each ship but it all worked well for me..

I have $300. OBC from NCL's World Points program and they told me no YOU CAN'T USE THIS NON-REFUNDABLE OBC for any tip's!:(

Only refundable.

Now I'm totally confused!:confused:

Anyone?

I used OBC from the same source to tip the concierge on the Breakaway in May using the method described in this thread.

As others have noted above, you CAN use non-refundable OBC to give tips to any of the staff or crew (just not to pay the Daily Service Charge). You need to go to Guest Services to do this; it's possible the agent at the desk may not be familiar with this; if that's the case, ask for a supervisor.

To do it: have the name and title of the person to whom you want to give the tip, and the amount you want to tip. Guest services will add that amount to the person's on-board account (where it can be used for any purpose, including a cash withdrawal). They will give you a receipt with the person's name and the amount, which you can give to that person so they'll know about the tip. (We travel with Thank You cards, very handy for things like this, or of course just for giving cash.)

I hope that's helpful.

Thank you for all your reply's.

I should have been more clear.

I did prepay all my daily service charges, but I just wanted to know if I could pay my Butler and concierge with that non-refundable OBC for their tips.