Looking for blue water!!

The water in Progreso and all the north facing Yucatan coast is not blue, blue or blue. The coastal shelf is very shallow and the Gulf of Mexico water gets silty very easily. The water is clean, just not crystal clear. The blue water is found on the eastern side of the Yucatan peninsula in areas such as Cancun or Tulum. The shallow coastal shelf is the reason why they had to build a 7 km long pier to get into deep enough water for the big ships.

The water in Progreso and all the north facing Yucatan coast is not blue, blue or blue. The coastal shelf is very shallow and the Gulf of Mexico water gets silty very easily. The water is clean, just not crystal clear. The blue water is found on the eastern side of the Yucatan peninsula in areas such as Cancun or Tulum. The shallow coastal shelf is the reason why they had to build a 7 km long pier to get into deep enough water for the big ships.

Well this is quite disappointing. :( I was hoping to be able to show my boys some beautiful clear waters. My older son is quite excited to be going to where the crater is (even though you can't tell it's a crater without looking at elevation maps and things like that) but I was looking forward to the water being lovely and blue. *sigh* I'll make due!

I neglected to say that the cenotes, underground caves that have crystal clear fresh water, are a result of the meteor impact. There are several excursions from Progreso which involve cenotes. Having done none of the excursions, but having visited several cenotes, I cannot recommend which one to use.

Cenotes are sinkholes and not a result of a meteor impact. The water is Meteoric water (rain water.)

Rain water?

The cenotes are all linked, thousands of them and are access points to the Yucatan peninsula's water table, where the ground has given way and collapsed, exposing the eroded caverns now filled with ground water. These are connected and the water is flowing under the peninsula.

If it was rain water these would be slimy green pools full of frogs.

http://www.divecenotesmexico.com/cenotes