Voyager Annual Travel Ins (aka Assist Card/Starr)

SakeDad

We moved to Puerto Vallarta in Oct part time and live in Nevada the rest of the time. We needed a travel insurance that would cover us in Mexico for emergencies. A friend who travels extensively for work and vacation recommended Voyager Annual Insurance. I was a cruise travel agent in another life and had never heard of them. But after checking online rates we decided to purchase the Platinum package.

So far we have not needed it in Mexico....HOWEVER....We took a Princess cruise and I fell and broke my wrist on the ship. They had great medical care onboard but we were billed $4000 for it at the end of the cruise. We submitted all the bills and info and in 2 weeks had a check covering 100% of the medical costs, with no deductible! We are very happy with them.

Unfortunately, it has the same eligibility requirements as GeoBlue.

The Atlas Series is not available to individuals who are physically located in the states of New York, Maryland, or Washington or in the country of Canada or Australia at time of purchase.

For some reason, our State Insurance Commissioner won't approve of these types of policies.

Maybe I'll write an email asking why.

Follow - Up

I did hear back from my States Insurance Commissioner

Thank you for contacting our office. I am responding on behalf of Commissioner Kreidler.

I apologize for the delay in my response. It took me some time to determine the actual insurance companies involved in your question.

GeoBlue is a plan (or product trade name) underwritten by 4 Ever Life Insurance Company. 4 Ever Life Insurance Company is licensed and admitted to do business in Washington and they are over seen by BCS, who is a travel policy vendor. BCS does do business in Washington and they do offer travel insurance in Washington, but they chose as a company not to sell annual policies.

Voyager is a plan (or product trade name) underwritten by American Modern Home Insurance Company. American Modern Home is licensed and admitted to do business in Washington. The insurer offers travel insurance in Washington, but also chose as a company not to sell annual policies.

I won’t be able to provide the reason the companies chose or chose not to offer specific lines of coverage as this risk decision is entirely up to the insurance company.

• 1 month later...

klfrodo -

I was just on a website (just doing a search for Annual Travel Insurance so not an endorsement of the site): "Travel Insurance Services" / travelinsuredotcom & under "How to Get Voyager Annual Travel Insurance" if you enter Washington, it shows a plan. May not be the specific plan you refer to & I didn't go further & see if I could actually sign-up.

Edited by ljones