Dawn Plug in Internet

Bubski

We are leaving on the dawn April 10th no matter how I search I cannot seem to find out if I can use an internet cable to plug into the internet in our room. Hoping to have a bit better speed than wifi. Any of you regular NCL cruisers out there able to answer this one for me?

Sorry - I don't have an answer to your specific question. I suspect, however, that your limited bandwidth will more likely be a consequence of the ship-to-satellite connection rather than your onboard wifi strength. I'd be surprised if you'd see much of a difference between wifi or wired, as I believe the real bottleneck is upstream.

Edited by TheDougOut

I was just on the Dawn in December in an aft penthouse and I don't recall seeing anyplace where you could plug in your computer nor did my Butler mention it. You can use wifi in your cabin, as well as you can use the computers in the Internet Cafe. The speed was really, really slow.

Unless they have actually removed the Ethernet ports recently, all Dawn and Jewel class ships have those available in cabins by electrical outlets.

But as said, the bottleneck is not the connection within the ship, it's the satellite. I sometimes still use cable to be able to share the connection to another laptop through WiFi, but that's the only benefit for me.

The GEM, like the Dawn, has (had ??) a working ethernet port when we sailed - and it was labeled with the IP tag/address then. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Gem%202012%20Photos/SDC10355.JPG

I travel with & use Edimax BR-6258n, nano-sized USB-powered travel router with extra hotspot functionality and plug that whenever possible, getting extra firewall protection @ hotels, etc.

On ships with iConcierge functionality enabled, including the BA, the inTRAnet "n" speed is fast enough but seldom really take advantage of old "g" speed due to the inherent bottleneck upstream.

Download & switch to offline gaming mode unless you are prepared to deal with lots of timing out, buffering & dropped connections - even if you have an "unlimited" package bundle ... to play Apps on a cruise (Angry Birds ??)

App for sure Solitaire Blast! and a gaming website called pogo (if and big if I take the laptop as well as the Ipad!) thank you for comments and help

Thank you both wondering whether to buy a longer internet cord was totally hoping to play games on the deck coffee or beverage in hand.

There is nowhere to plug in and, as has been mentioned, the speed issues are not because of the wifi, it's because of the limited bandwidth/speed of satellite internet, which you'd get regardless. If you use the computers in the Internet cafe (which are plugged in) it is just as slow.

We are leaving on the dawn April 10th no matter how I search I cannot seem to find out if I can use an internet cable to plug into the internet in our room. Hoping to have a bit better speed than wifi. Any of you regular NCL cruisers out there able to answer this one for me?

I've never seen one on my three trips on the Dawn. Doesn't really matter anyway, the lag is from the ship to the satellite.

<edit> already well answered.

Edited by VideoTech