Hurricane Wilma

TVMet

BULLETIN

HURRICANE WILMA ADVISORY NUMBER 26

NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

4 PM CDT FRI OCT 21 2005

...EYE OF WILMA CROSSING OVER COZUMEL...

...NORTHWESTERN EYEWALL ON THE COAST OF THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SAN FELIPE TO CHETUMAL ON

THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...INCLUDING COZUMEL AND THE NEARBY ISLANDS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH REMAIN IN EFFECT FROM

WEST OF SAN FELIPE TO CELESTUN.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE PROVINCES OF LA

HABANA...CIUDAD DE LA HABANA...PINAR DEL RIO...AND THE ISLE OF

YOUTH. A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT IN CUBA FOR THE

PROVINCES OF MATANZAS WESTWARD THROUGH PINAR DEL RIO...AND FOR THE

ISLE OF YOUTH.

ALL INTERESTS IN THE FLORIDA KEYS AND THE FLORIDA PENINSULA SHOULD

CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE WILMA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...INCLUDING POSSIBLE

INLAND WATCHES AND WARNINGS...PLEASE MONITOR PRODUCTS ISSUED

BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

AT 4 PM CDT...2100Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED NEAR

LATITUDE 20.6 NORTH... LONGITUDE 86.9 WEST OR OVER THE NORTHEASTERN

END OF THE ISLAND OF COZUMEL.

WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 5 MPH... 7 KM/HR... AND

THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT 24

HOURS. ON THIS TRACK... THE CENTER OF WILMA IS EXPECTED TO MOVE

INLAND OVER THE EXTREME NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA TONIGHT AND

REMAIN INLAND ON SATURDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 140 MPH...220 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER

GUSTS. WILMA IS A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON

SCALE. SLIGHT FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE

CENTER OF WILMA MAKES LANDFALL OVER THE NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN

PENINSULA. SOME WEAKENING IS EXPECTED TONIGHT AND SATURDAY AFTER

THE CENTER MOVES INLAND.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...

FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP

TO 200 MILES...325 KM.

THE LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPORTED BY AN AIR FORCE

HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT WAS 926 MB...27.34 INCHES.

COASTAL STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 7 TO 11 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE

LEVELS... ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES... CAN BE

EXPECTED NEAR AND TO THE NORTH OF THE CENTER ALONG ON THE

NORTHEASTERN YUCATAN PENINSULA.

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH

SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...

WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE. OUTER RAINBANDS WILL

CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA... ESPECIALLY THE

KEYS... WITH SOME 2 TO 4 INCH RAINS POSSIBLE THROUGH SUNDAY.

NOAA BUOY 42003 IN THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO INDICATES THAT LARGE

SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE EASTERN

GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE

NORTHERN GULF COAST TONIGHT.

Forecast Track...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT24/refresh/AL2405W5+gif/204548W_sm.gif

That is on the Miami local 10 news web page.

But I just called the Port of Miami and they say as far as they know the coast guard is not going to close it til Sunday now.

He said because the storm has slowed they changed it. According to him it can change again as well.

At this point I dont know who to believe !! :confused:

"Port Will Close To Inbound Traffic, Including Cruise Ships

POSTED: 3:08 pm EDT October 21, 2005

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard says the Port of Miami will closed to inbound traffic as of 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Officials said the closure is based on current forecasts and is subject to change if the forecast is altered.

Based on the current forecast, Saturday cruise ship arrivals will be permitted provided that they have arrived prior to 11:00 a.m.

Ships will be allowed to depart until a time that officials believe it is no longer safe.

Here is info relating to Port Everglades from the Broward County web site:

PORT EVERGLADES EXPECTED TO REMAIN OPEN SATURDAY AND MUCH OF SUNDAY

October 21, 2005

Port Everglades is open and operating normally.

Based on the current forecast and anticipated time for changing port conditions, Sunday cruise ship arrivals and departures will be permitted. As weather conditions may change at any time, however, cruise passengers should check with their cruise lines for any changes to their itineraries.

Based on current predictions, the U.S. Coast Guard is anticipated to issue a 48-hour alert at 11 a.m. Saturday, October 22. Arrival of tropical storm force winds is predicted to be about 11 a.m. Monday, with the departure of sustained tropical storm force winds at about 1 a.m. Tuesday.

Port facilities should be secured by 11 a.m. on Sunday. At that time, it is anticipated that all cargo operations will cease with the exception of petroleum truck transport.

U.S. Coast Guard guidelines for hurricane preparedness can be found on the next page of this Breaking News section.

Oh and it IS now Sunday at 11 for the Port closure. But that doesn't help me and poor Kahhli one bit now, does it?

leslie

Darn Blue no it does not !

I switched my flight today to an earlier one on Sunday but according to these reports it may have been a useless last ditch effort to make sure I got into Miami before the storm.

GRRRRRR , Lets hope the people on my ship now enjoy the extra day !!

I was suppose to leave Portland Or. at 12:15a this Sat. mourning but I called and canceled the hotel and car and was hoping for a delay in the cruise so I could get a refund but now I changed my flight to leave Monday mourning at 12:15a and arrive in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:00a and go straight to the Imagination. I thought why not keep the option open and hope for the best. Then I also can get a refund if there is a delay.

I just found this updated post on the Port of Miami site.

I read this as affecting sundays cruises as well ... but Carnival has not yet updated their site.

NameStatus

Port of Miami

Based on the 0800 update, the storm track has indicated an earlier arrival time of tropical storm force winds, which means the subsequent port conditions will also be set earlier than previously indicated. USCG anticipate setting YANKEE at 2:00 a.m., Sunday (port closed to inbound vessels, cargo operations cease), and ZULU at 2:00 p.m., Sunday. Please refer to the MSIB for specifics.

What this means: Today will be the last opportunity to get vessels in and conduct cargo operations. Between midnight tonight and noon tomorrow all ships must be departing the port. Tomorrow should be final storm preparations within the port only. Sunday cruise ship arrivals will not be permitted.

Again, these times are always subject to change in either direction based on updated forecasts.

See the complete list of port hurricane condititions.

Open

• Passenger cruise lines will operate until 2:00 p.m. Sunday morning.
  • Cruise passengers should contact their cruise line for more information.

http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency/seaport.asp

Me too! I haven't noticed any "live from" reports on the RC board either. Do you suppose their internet is not working? Do most ships use satellite for their internet?

I'm still surprised we have not had any 'live' reports from CCer's onboard any of the ships !

Doesn't anyone else find that odd ?

Or have I just missed them ??

thought this was interesting .... its from RCI, but it may show things to come from Carnival

---------------------

UPDATED - Majesty of the Seas - Based on the best weather forecasts currently available, Majesty of the Seas is currently expected to arrive in and depart from the Port of Miami Tuesday, October 25, one day later than scheduled. The ship will sail a modified three-night itinerary, with port calls in Coco Cay, Bahamas, Wednesday; Key West, Florida, Thursday; and return to the Port of Miami Friday. The ship's itinerary is subject to change due to weather conditions. As weather conditions involving the storm are constantly changing guests booked on this sailing should continue monitoring these updates for the latest information. Guests also may contact Royal Caribbean at 1-800-327-6700 to receive these updates. Guests who sail on this shortened cruise will receive a $125 onboard credit. Guests booked on this sailing may cancel their cruise and receive a letter of credit for the amount paid to Royal Caribbean.-----------------------

http://www.local10.com/hurricanes/5145598/detail.html

Port Will Close To Inbound Traffic, Including Cruise Ships

POSTED: 3:08 pm EDT October 21, 2005

MIAMI -- The Coast Guard says the Port of Miami will closed to inbound traffic as of 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Officials said the closure is based on current forecasts and is subject to change if the forecast is altered.

Based on the current forecast, Saturday cruise ship arrivals will be permitted provided that they have arrived prior to 11:00 a.m.

Ships will be allowed to depart until a time that officials believe it is no longer safe.

Copyright 2005 by Local10.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Tropical Weather Update – October 23, 2005 10:00 AM

We are closely monitoring the progress of Hurricane Wilma. At Carnival, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is our number one priority. We will navigate our ships at a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Based on the current forecasted track of the storm, we are expecting all of our Florida departures on Sunday to depart as scheduled.

Due to the approach of the storm, the Ports of Miami, Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) and Tampa will be closed on Monday. We will now make the following changes to our Monday departures:

Fascination from Miami - The 4 day cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, October 24 will be changed to a 3 day cruise to Nassau and Freeport departing on Tuesday, October 25. Guests that were booked on the 4 day cruise and sail on the new 3 day cruise will receive a 25% refund of cruise fare and a $50 per person onboard credit. Boarding is expected to begin at 3:00 PM and departure will be at 7:00 PM. Guests that elect to cancel will receive a full cruise fare refund. If guests elect to cancel, we request that you call Carnival (1-800-327-9501) and cancel your booking.

Imagination from Miami - The 5 day cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, October 24 will be changed to a 4 day cruise to Ocho Rios departing on Tuesday, October 25. Guests that were booked on the 5 day cruise and sail on the new 4 day cruise will receive a 20% refund of cruise fare and a $50 per person onboard credit. Boarding is expected to begin at 3:00 PM and departure will be at 7:00 PM. Guests that elect to cancel will receive a full cruise fare refund. If guests elect to cancel, we request that you call Carnival (1-800-327-9501) and cancel your booking.

Inspiration from Tampa - The 5 day cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, October 24 will be changed to a 4 day cruise to Grand Cayman departing on Tuesday, October 25. Guests that were booked on the 5 day cruise and sail on the new 4 day cruise will receive a 20% refund of cruise fare and a $50 per person onboard credit. Guests that elect to cancel will receive a full cruise fare refund. If guests elect to cancel, we request that you call Carnival (1-800-327-9501) and cancel your booking.

Carnival Legend from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) - The 8 day cruise scheduled to depart on Monday, October 24 will be changed to a 7 day cruise to San Juan, St. Maarten, Tortola and Nassau departing on Tuesday, October 25. Guests that were booked on the 8 day cruise and sail on the new 7 day cruise will receive a 15% refund of cruise fare and a $50 per person onboard credit. Guests that elect to cancel will receive a full cruise fare refund. If guests elect to cancel, we request that you call Carnival (1-800-327-9501) and cancel your booking.

In addition, we have made the following storm-related itinerary changes:

Celebration October 22 from Jacksonville - This cruise will visit Freeport (Sun.) and Nassau (Tue.)

Carnival Glory October 22 from Port Canaveral - This cruise will visit Nassau (Sun.), St. Thomas (Tue.) and San Juan (Wed.)

Elation October 22 from Galveston - This cruise will visit Veracruz (Mon.) and Progreso (Tue.)

Carnival Victory October 23 from Miami - This cruise will visit San Juan (Tue.), St. Maarten (Wed.) and St. Thomas (Thur.)

Carnival Miracle October 23 from Tampa – This cruise will visit Belize (Tue.), Ocho Rios (Thur.) and Grand Cayman (Fri.).

All other departures are expected to operate the scheduled itineraries.

Archived