Visiting St Petersburg

haymat

Hi everyone, we are travelling to St P's on the Celebrity Eclipse in June. Someone has told me that euros are accepted in the shops etc. Find this hard to believe but can anyone confirm this as I would like to buy a few souvenirs from here for my Grandchildren. I have no idea how much I might need.

Thanks.

I don't know whether much has changed but we did this cruise five years ago. There were some small souvenir shops at the terminal. We bought some matryoshka dolls there and used our credit card. We did a couple of ships tours and there was very little in the way of shopping. It is a wonderful trip with some great stops. You will really enjoy it .

I don't know whether much has changed but we did this cruise five years ago. There were some small souvenir shops at the terminal. We bought some matryoshka dolls there and used our credit card. We did a couple of ships tours and there was very little in the way of shopping. It is a wonderful trip with some great stops. You will really enjoy it .

We found the same thing....I used credit card for everything...many places will not take Amex or Discover so keep that in mind....I would be careful trying to use Euro in Russia, especially now, in some places it could be against the law.

We had an amazing English teacher/guide w/a Russian driver, (sweet heart). Our guide secured our visa, all entrances, and tickets for shows. I'm relatively sure that we didn't use a credit card. Guide counseled on purchases, but relatively certain we used Euros. We wanted to bring some rubles home to grands.

We were there for White Nights. Truly was partial light all night, more so than Alaska.

Anecdote: Stopped for a quick bite for lunch. Menu was in English. I ordered an omelet, DH and other couple ordered cheeseburger. My omelet was great. Their cheeseburgers were literally cheese on a bun w/ lettuce. Sometimes its the little things that are remembered.

My experience was that the Russians were more than happy to accept your hard currency. We were advised by our private guide to obtain a small amount of rubles for public restrooms or souvenirs from small stands. I never did use mine and they became part of the tip to the guide. Our tour operator charged for her tour in US dollars. Paid with a credit card. If you paid in cash, the only requirement was that the bills be in good condition.

My experience was that the Russians were more than happy to accept your hard currency. We were advised by our private guide to obtain a small amount of rubles for public restrooms or souvenirs from small stands. I never did use mine and they became part of the tip to the guide. Our tour operator charged for her tour in US dollars. Paid with a credit card. If you paid in cash, the only requirement was that the bills be in good condition.

We had about $20 in rubles and bought a doll at the last souvenir shop. There were signs in the shop for the price in euros, dollars and rubles.

We did this trip on Eclipse back in 2014, most of the tourist shops were happy to take Euros and US Dollars however smaller traders offering ice creams, drinks etc were only accepting Rubles. So I would advise taking a small quantity of Rubles for small purchases like that.