Pre-cruise: Best Hotel, things to do, etc?

ckdixon

Hi! Cruising in October and our first time in Ft. Lauderdale. We arrive around 3pm the afternoon prior to cruising. I have researched the hotel situation to death and still do not have a solution. I would love to stay in the Embassy Suites but the date we need is blocked...so...we are looking for a reasonably priced hotel close to dining, nightlife, beach and activities. Is the water taxi worth the price? Does that need to be on my list of must do's and accessible from the hotel? Also, any assistance on airport to hotel and hotel to port transportation would be helpful. We fly home at 6pm the day we return. That's a long day at the airport...suggestions on that as well? Thanks so much!!!

If you look around on the board, you will find dozens of threads on hotels. As the Embassy Suites is on 17th, other hotels in that area, which is very popular, include Hyatt Pier 66, and Hilton Marina.

As commonly recommended on this board, taxi is the most convenient transport in the 17th St area, both from the airport to hotel, and hotel to port.

Those two hotels are also directly on the Water Taxi, (have Water Taxi stops) which if you want beach, night life, etc, becomes perhaps an important issue for you.

Many people enjoy the Water Taxi, including us. But only you can decide if it is worth it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Research on hotels, transportation, attractions and restaurants should include http://www.sunny.org. For hotel recommendations it is best to provide your date and budget in addition to any required amenities.

The water taxi is the most highly rated attraction in Fort Lauderdale and, in my opinion, deservedly so since it serves as both a tour (narrated by the captain) and transportation. Since October is still low season you may be able to find discount tickets on line before your trip.

Do not spend your disembarkation day at the airport! For one thing, you won't be able to check your luggage in until mid afternoon for a 6 pm flight. More importantly, it is not conducive to 'hanging around.'

Here are some suggestions for your disembarkation day:

• Day Rooms: check out the Renaissance on 17th Street and the Rodeway Inn. You can do a search on the this board especially for the Rodeway (the Renaissance doesn't offer it every day so their aren't as many reviews).

• Rent a car to store your luggage and visit some of the local Fort Lauderdale attractions. See www.sunny.org for suggestions.

• Send your luggage early to the airport via your cruise line's luggage direct service. Take a cab to the Hilton Marina and spend the day hopping on and off the water taxi (www.watertaxi.com).

• If you can't/won't use luggage direct or rent a car and you are disembarking on the weekend you can store your luggage at the airport (www.bagstogo.net) and take the free sun trolley airport link (www.suntrolley.com) to downtown Fort Lauderdale (www.lasolasboulevard.com). There are museums, restaurants, galleries, and shops plus a water taxi stop. You can also take the beach link sun trolley route for $1/ride or $3/day pass to the beach.

Edited by capriccio

The Doubletree Gallery One is my favorite hotel that is near shopping, dining, beach AND is a water taxi stop.

Highly recommend the water taxi and make sure you stay on it after the sun sets. The homes are magnificent lit up at night.

The Doubletree Gallery One is one of the hotels I was really looking at. Thank you all so much!! Lots of very helpful info I wouldn't have known otherwise!

Edited by ckdixon

The Doubletree Gallery One is my favorite hotel that is near shopping, dining, beach AND is a water taxi stop.

Highly recommend the water taxi and make sure you stay on it after the sun sets. The homes are magnificent lit up at night.

I second the gallery one, close to shopping and excellent for the water taxi if you choose to use it, wich I recommend you do.

I am looking at Gallery One for one night pre-cruise with travel to the port on the day of the air show (May 7). Can anyone tell me whether the location of the hotel will allow for easy taxi transportation to the port taking into consideration road closures and crowds on air show day? I'm currently booked at Embassy Suites on 17th but was hoping to change reservation to a points stay and Embassy Suites is sold out while Gallery One is still available. Thanks in advance for advice.

I am looking at Gallery One for one night pre-cruise with travel to the port on the day of the air show (May 7). Can anyone tell me whether the location of the hotel will allow for easy taxi transportation to the port taking into consideration road closures and crowds on air show day? I'm currently booked at Embassy Suites on 17th but was hoping to change reservation to a points stay and Embassy Suites is sold out while Gallery One is still available. Thanks in advance for advice.

The show starts at 12Noon and you should have have an incredible view of the show from the hotel and possibly your room depending on which way you face.

If the view is good, I'd hang out and not leave until 1PM (assuming your ship leaves at 4PM.

You should not have any problems getting up Sunrise to Federal to get to the port and the traffic should all be heading towards the beach.

If the view is crap and you don't want to hang around, I'd leave your hotel around 10:30 and head over.

If you are horribly stuck in traffic on Sunrise, have your driver take NE 20th Street over to Broward to Federal to the port. It will bypass all the traffic on Sunrise and a lot of Federal.