Society Islands & Tuamotus vs. Society & Cook Islands

BPCruiser

Back to the Tuamotus vs. Cook's discussion. I'm going to be moving our current booking (a special one, but it's not to be), and I'm thinking about the Cook's, since we haven't done this.

Any comments on October versus January? In terms of heat, storms, etc.?

• 1 month later...

Just returned from 7 night Society Island cruise, and I was in cabin 309, and I would highly recommend the third deck - we had a great cabin, did not miss a balcony, it was quiet by the infirmary with no traffic at all. We were close to the tender entrances but did not hear any noise at all.

Thanks for the recommendation by the previous posters .

I am now highly interested in going back for a longer cruise and getting a scuba certificate in the interim, and planning for a time during whale season, (August- October?) and the Cook Island 12 night.

BTW We flew the 4:40 pm flight on ATN from LAX and spent a night at the IC Tahiti which I thought was a great way to start the trip with minimal jet lag, though if I could get 16 days off work would spend 3 nights pre-cruise either in Moorea or Bora Bora.

October is a beautiful month to go

We did choose October, and I'm hoping that it is in fact still whale season. We saw a humpback breach off Moorea on our last visit, which was in September. Memorable--we had seen the northern humpbacks in Alaska, so it was nice to see the southern colony on part of their yearly journey.

Stay away from cabin 426! The pool drains run at 4:30 pm and 4 am. There is nothing you can do about it. We were in this cabin and had to request a switch since the 4 am drain kept waking me up.

The PG staff were able to switch us which was no easy matter due to the fact we had our daughter with us. They simply lifted up the hide away bed and moved it to another cabin.

Oh no! I'm booked in cabin 326... will this affect me too out my window, or is it just something you heard from overhead? Deck 3 only has even cabins so it's not like I can switch to the other side of the ship.

Oh no! I'm booked in cabin 326... will this affect me too out my window, or is it just something you heard from overhead? Deck 3 only has even cabins so it's not like I can switch to the other side of the ship.

I have been in 310 on 3 cruises. No noise on that end of the deck.

Apparently it's a pipe that runs through the wall next to 426. Interestingly, I've never heard any similar complaints about 326.

Just did a forum search, and there indeed have been complaints about the water pipe noise in 326. Sorry. Hope you can move.

Just called and changed to 318. Hopefully that will be nice and quiet :D So glad I found out about the issue now, over a year before the cruise, and it was no problem to change cabins!! Thanks everyone!

We have done the cook islands run three times over the last 10 years. Only one time have we had an issue with tendering while at Aitutaki. However the sea can be a bit rougher between Bora Bora and Aitutaki than between the Society Islands and the Atolls. The time on Rangi is short thus some private excursions are not possible.

Aitutaki is often called the poor man's Bora Bora, though nice it doesn't match up against Bora Bora IMO, hard to beat the Lagoon of Bora Bora and the mountain backdrop though you get Bora Bora on both cruises.

If you do go on the Cook's cruise try and get a bottom cabin mid-ships as it does not toss and turn as much.

• 1 month later...
Back to the Tuamotus vs. Cook's discussion. I'm going to be moving our current booking (a special one, but it's not to be), and I'm thinking about the Cook's, since we haven't done this.

Any comments on October versus January? In terms of heat, storms, etc.?

Hi Wendy.

I, too am on the October 22 - 11/5 Cooks cruise. Did you book for 2016 or 2017? If this year, I started a roll call for the cruise that's only 60 + days away. Let's meet when on board if you are taking this one.