Full day to spend... Hamptons or Jersey Shore?

Tammyd549

Just realized I never thanked everyone for the input here. Thank you all!!

We ended up getting a good deal on flights to EWR, arriving Friday evening, we are staying 2 nights at the Marriott, right in the airport. Got a great rate, approx 115/night.

We rented a car that we will pick up at 8am Saturday morning and we are driving to the Jersey Shore as my daughter so very much wants to do - what we do for our kids ;)

Plan is to return the car around 9pm and take the train the following morning to the Manhatten Pier. Got the car free with air miles so not sure the exact cost but they were pricing out at approx 60/day

Wish us luck :)

Edited by Tammyd549

We ended up getting a good deal on flights to EWR, arriving Friday evening, we are staying 2 nights at the Marriott, right in the airport. Got a great rate, approx 115/night.

We rented a car that we will pick up at 8am Saturday morning and we are driving to the Jersey Shore as my daughter so very much wants to do - what we do for our kids ;)

Plan is to return the car around 9pm and take the train the following morning to the Manhatten Pier. Got the car free with air miles so not sure the exact cost but they were pricing out at approx 60/day

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how your trip goes.

What NJ are you going too?

What NJ are you going too?

Where you mean? I think we are going to head for Seaside height and may do 6 flags on the way back, seems to be a 1.5 HR drive each way, not too bad I think if we are driving at 8-9am on a Saturday and returning late evening, hopefully avoid some traffic

Where you mean? I think we are going to head for Seaside height and may do 6 flags on the way back, seems to be a 1.5 HR drive each way, not too bad I think if we are driving at 8-9am on a Saturday and returning late evening, hopefully avoid some traffic

Oops, I left out the word "beach." Point Pleasant also has a nice Boardwalk. You will miss some of the traffic. You can really make a whole day out of the beach/boardwalk, Great Adventure is really a full day park, and crowded. Have fun!

Oops, I left out the word "beach." Point Pleasant also has a nice Boardwalk. You will miss some of the traffic. You can really make a whole day out of the beach/boardwalk, Great Adventure is really a full day park, and crowded. Have fun!

Great tip, thanks, will look into that!

To add to your travel plans, a little extra tip with heavy summer time & weekend traffic going to/from the Jersey shores, make sure your rental vehicle has the electronic toll option (for regulars like us, known as "EZ-Pass" mounted on the front windshield mostly, some on the front bumper/license plate) for speeding thru toll plaza at the (mostly) posted speed limit along the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Without it, you will be facing with much longer cash lanes and lines of out-of-state cars/travelers, roughly 4 to 5 "pit-stops" in each direction, maybe more and that will cut into your beach time.

Car rentals should have & offer the options, with a convenience surcharge but it's worth it - chalk it up to your cruise/vacation expenses - billed to your rental's credit card, if I'm not mistaken.

To add to your travel plans, a little extra tip with heavy summer time & weekend traffic going to/from the Jersey shores, make sure your rental vehicle has the electronic toll option (for regulars like us, known as "EZ-Pass" mounted on the front windshield mostly, some on the front bumper/license plate) for speeding thru toll plaza at the (mostly) posted speed limit along the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway. Without it, you will be facing with much longer cash lanes and lines of out-of-state cars/travelers, roughly 4 to 5 "pit-stops" in each direction, maybe more and that will cut into your beach time.

Car rentals should have & offer the options, with a convenience surcharge but it's worth it - chalk it up to your cruise/vacation expenses - billed to your rental's credit card, if I'm not mistaken.

Oh thank you so much for this! I would never thought of it as I have never passed through a toll in my life ! lol we just don't have them in Canada or other areas I have travelled.

I was able to add it on to my rental - thank you!

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Seaside Heights...to put it bluntly, as far as I'm concerned it's a dump that attracts a low rent crowd. We, as well as many other parents we knew from our area, refused to allow our teenagers to go there when we were raising our families.

Another poster mentioned Point Pleasant Beach. I think it's a better choice.

I'd strongly suggest avoiding Seaside Heights...to put it bluntly, as far as I'm concerned it's a dump that attracts a low rent crowd. We, as well as many other parents we knew from our area, refused to allow our teenagers to go there when we were raising our families.

Another poster mentioned Point Pleas ant Beach. I think it's a better choice.

Wow, thanks. Had no idea. I'll change to Point Pleasant and I'm sure my dd won't know the difference. Thank you. I hated Atlantic City so, I suspect Seaside Heights might have some of that flavour.

If Point Pleasant isn't enough to fill your whole day, or if it rains, there is plenty of great strolling and shopping at Pier Village in Long branch (excellent beach too- great boardwalk but no rides) http://piervillagenj.com/index.html

Also, Jersey Shore Outlets in Tinton Falls right off the Garden State Parkway near Long Branch and not too far from Point Pleasant http://m.premiumoutlets.com/default.aspx?id=1267

You definitely can't do Six Flags too. Too far from the beach in traffic, way too crowded in the summer, as someone stated above-hour plus waits for all the rides, expensive -really a full day or more to see it.

The exits on the Garden State Parkway are in line with the mileage from the bottom of NJ --the Cape May or the Wildwood Area being mile marker 1. This can help you determine how far places are. Newark airport is around exit 140 so it is 140 miles from the Wildwood Exit but then you have to drive East to the shore. Long Branch Beach is Exit 105 so it is only about 41 miles from Newark including the 6 mile drive east on Route 36. Jersey Shore Outlets are right on Exit 102. Point Pleasant is Exit 98 but then you have about an 8-10 mile drive towards to water on local roads. Seaside Heights is Exit 82 and then 10 miles on Route 37 (all lights and lots of traffic) Not worth it in my opinion when there are so many nicer beaches. I grew up going to Seaside--all my childhood and teenage years. Sad to see it the way it is now.

Our daughter is 26, born in NJ and she's never been to Seaside, only Point Pleasant. [emoji3]

Edited by mamagina

If Point Pleasant isn't enough to fill your whole day, or if it rains, there is plenty of great strolling and shopping at Pier Village in Long branch (excellent beach too- great boardwalk but no rides) http://piervillagenj.com/index.html

Also, Jersey Shore Outlets in Tinton Falls right off the Garden State Parkway near Long Branch and not too far from Point Pleasant http://m.premiumoutlets.com/default.aspx?id=1267

You definitely can't do Six Flags too. Too far from the beach in traffic, way too crowded in the summer, as someone stated above-hour plus waits for all the rides, expensive -really a full day or more to see it.

The exits on the Garden State Parkway are in line with the mileage from the bottom of NJ --the Cape May or the Wildwood Area being mile marker 1. This can help you determine how far places are. Newark airport is around exit 140 so it is 140 miles from the Wildwood Exit but then you have to drive East to the shore. Long Branch Beach is Exit 105 so it is only about 41 miles from Newark including the 6 mile drive east on Route 36. Jersey Shore Outlets are right on Exit 102. Point Pleasant is Exit 98 but then you have about an 8-10 mile drive towards to water on local roads. Seaside Heights is Exit 82 and then 10 miles on Route 37 (all lights and lots of traffic) Not worth it in my opinion when there are so many nicer beaches. I grew up going to Seaside--all my childhood and teenage years. Sad to see it the way it is now.

Our daughter is 26, born in NJ and she's never been to Seaside, only Point Pleasant. [emoji3]

This is awesome, thank you so much for taking the time to post all this, greatly appreciated !!!