Heathrow ATM

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is the smallest amount of British pounds that I would be able to get from an ATM at Heathrow.

We are arriving at LHR and have a private transfer booked and prepaid to Gatwick. Not sure if I have to tip the driver but if I did, I won't have any pounds as the transfer is going to be our only time in England.

Was wondering if I might be able to simply withdraw a 10 pound note from an ATM? Or would it make sense to just use the money exchange for such a small amount? ... although I suspect the fees would be ridiculous

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is the smallest amount of British pounds that I would be able to get from an ATM at Heathrow.

We are arriving at LHR and have a private transfer booked and prepaid to Gatwick. Not sure if I have to tip the driver but if I did, I won't have any pounds as the transfer is going to be our only time in England.

Was wondering if I might be able to simply withdraw a 10 pound note from an ATM? Or would it make sense to just use the money exchange for such a small amount? ... although I suspect the fees would be ridiculous

My advice would be not to try to obtain such a small amount from an ATM. Perhaps you could try to obtain a 10 pound note from a flight attendant on your flight coming into Heathrow. If the doesn't work, try asking some of your fellow passengers. Offer them a good rate. If that doesn't work, you can tip in Euros or dollars. I have been in countries where I needed to tip and did not have the local currency, so I gave dollars. People find a way to exchange.

AMEX also operates a number of currency exchange counters at LHR where you could get some small GBP notes, there is a transaction fee much like an ATM.

The only ForEx supplier at Heathrow is Travelex. They also own many, if not all, of the ATMs and use the same rates.

The only ForEx supplier at Heathrow is Travelex. They also own many, if not all, of the ATMs and use the same rates.

I have used one of the AMEX counters in T-5 about 2 years ago but see that they have now closed down their ops at LHR so thanks for the update. On the Travlex website I see that currently 10 GBP is going to cost just a tad over $14 USD.

I have to admit I was a bit puzzled about the suggestion that an ATM would not have a good fee for such a small note. I think I understand why now if it a Travelex ATM vs a bank ATM. In our world wide travels, if I use a bank ATM, I have never had a fee.

I use Oanda.com for currency exchange rates and came up with the same.... just about $14. So I've got $15 in nice bills ready to pass along if need be.

I would be inclined just to go to my local bank and purchase a 10 GBP note there. Depending upon the size of the branch you deal with you may have to wait a couple of days but I have often found that's the best way to go plus as you are hustling thru the maze of LHR you won't need to be looking for an ATM or currency exchange counter.

I would be inclined just to go to my local bank and purchase a 10 GBP note there. Depending upon the size of the branch you deal with you may have to wait a couple of days but I have often found that's the best way to go plus as you are hustling thru the maze of LHR you won't need to be looking for an ATM or currency exchange counter.

Good point ... I know LHR can be difficult to get through.

Why not ask around. Many people end up with some foreign currency after a trip. I am sure that if they have, they would be happy to sell some to you. The current £10 note has been around since 2000, so that's a good timeframe.

Edited by Bob++

If coming from the US and if you need GPP for more than just the tip I suggest contacting Wells Fargo and exchange monies before you go - did that my last trip and it worked very well

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If coming from the US and if you need GPP for more than just the tip I suggest contacting Wells Fargo and exchange monies before you go - did that my last trip and it worked very well

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bank of America, offers fairly good exchange rates as well, if you have an account with BOA.