food off the ship?

swirlfamily405

Had a beagle "hit" on Mrs Gut's bag once, eventually we found the stem off a banana caught in the corner of the lining of the bag.

They're good.

We're great fans of your Australian programme :"Border Control", and cannot believe what food people try to smuggle in! I see that the fine has increased enormously in the last few series. Some of the plants still have soil with creatures in it!

We're great fans of your Australian programme :"Border Control", and cannot believe what food people try to smuggle in! I see that the fine has increased enormously in the last few series. Some of the plants still have soil with creatures in it!

Amazing isn't it?

Like Sadie, I've been through medfly sprayings. The area I grew up in and am living in now for many years still has many citrus trees left over from the ranch days (if you've seen "Chinatown," the ranch area is set in the San Fernando Valley). Don't even think of bringing in fruit into California at any entry port.

I bring factory sealed power bars and similar food on cruises to keep off the hunger pangs until we can get to a local eatery. I understand that if we ever go on our dream list Australian cruise that no food of any kind will be allowed off the ship.

Like Sadie' date=' I've been through medfly sprayings. The area I grew up in and am living in now for many years still has many citrus trees left over from the ranch days (if you've seen "Chinatown," the ranch area is set in the San Fernando Valley). Don't even think of bringing in fruit into California at any entry port.

I bring factory sealed power bars and similar food on cruises to keep off the hunger pangs until we can get to a local eatery. I understand that if we ever go on our dream list Australian cruise that no food of any kind will be allowed off the ship.[/quote']

You'd almost certainly be allowed take your sealed power bars off in Australia.

I had the privilege of helping "train" one of the dogs. As we were disembarking our ship in Auckland NZ last October, I was asked to carry a backpack through. I walked around the corner and when I got near the dog, she sniffed out that bag very quickly. I don't know what was in there, but she was definite about there being something. I was happy to be able to help.

Something to think about is bringing fruit from the ship to a port. I saw someone bring a banana and eat it at the beach then throw the peeling away. They could have at least put it in a plastic bag. I was so irritated. Has anyone not heard of rot disease affecting bananas? Cost of bananas will be increasing and a whole strain of them will be gone.

That saying I bring pre-packaged cookies on shore with me due to diabetes, but they are still store wrapped and not a fruit or meat.

Something to think about is bringing fruit from the ship to a port. I saw someone bring a banana and eat it at the beach then throw the peeling away. They could have at least put it in a plastic bag. I was so irritated. Has anyone not heard of rot disease affecting bananas? Cost of bananas will be increasing and a whole strain of them will be gone.

That saying I bring pre-packaged cookies on shore with me due to diabetes, but they are still store wrapped and not a fruit or meat.

That's exactly what everyone has been talking about. The person who took the banana ashore was most likely breaking local laws.

IIRC when we went to New Zealand we couldn't even take bottled water - probably due to the problems of having handle all of the empty bottles. I've seen a couple of articles where ports that handle lots of ships are not allowing bottled water.

You'd almost certainly be allowed take your sealed power bars off in Australia.

When my ship visits Australia, the officials require us to inform all passengers that absolutely NO food items will legally be allowed ashore. This even includes chewing gum and breath mints. Power Bars are a definite no-no.

When my ship visits Australia, the officials require us to inform all passengers that absolutely NO food items will legally be allowed ashore. This even includes chewing gum and breath mints. Power Bars are a definite no-no.

Well that's clearly changed.

I cruise Australia all the time, sealed commercial foods are not an issue.

Well that's clearly changed.

I cruise Australia all the time, sealed commercial foods are not an issue.

We had the opportunity to chat with an Australian Agricultural Inspector while waiting to disembark at one of our ports. One of the things she told us was that the thing that surprised her the most when training to be an Inspector was that NO eggs are permitted in any form. It didn't matter if they were just an ingredient listed on a sealed commercial food package. If eggs were listed, that item was a definite NO. She also said that the people who gave her the hardest time were fellow Australians. [Her example: What to you mean I can't take this apple ashore?!?! I'm an Australian and brought it on board with me in Sydney!!!] I believe it is much easier and safer to just go with 'NO food items ashore'.

We had the opportunity to chat with an Australian Agricultural Inspector while waiting to disembark at one of our ports. One of the things she told us was that the thing that surprised her the most when training to be an Inspector was that NO eggs are permitted in any form. It didn't matter if they were just an ingredient listed on a sealed commercial food package. If eggs were listed, that item was a definite NO. She also said that the people who gave her the hardest time were fellow Australians. [Her example: What to you mean I can't take this apple ashore?!?! I'm an Australian and brought it on board with me in Sydney!!!] I believe it is much easier and safer to just go with 'NO food items ashore'.

But I've never, ever heard them announce "No food items".

.............................. She also said that the people who gave her the hardest time were fellow Australians. [Her example: What to you mean I can't take this apple ashore?!?! I'm an Australian and brought it on board with me in Sydney!!!] I believe it is much easier and safer to just go with 'NO food items ashore'.

California has the same regulations. We were stuck in the Carnival Dome in Long Beach, California waiting for the ship to find two pax that went overboard on a sea day. No food could be taken off the ship for the hungry masses. At the time the Paradise only did 3/4 day cruises and the ship was provisioned in Long Beach.

The Port of Astoria, Oregon actually has a sign stating no food is to be brought onboard the ship.