Trying to figure out data/wifi for cruise

Hi all,

My newly-wed wife and I will be traveling overseas for the first time. I had a quick question about phones, tablets, etc. and how to get data.

We are going on a cruise stopping in multiple countries. I am trying to figure out the best approach for staying connected on at least some of our devices (2 cell phones, 2 tablets, and possibly a laptop). Is it better to get some type of international data plan or just pay for the cruise line's wifi service?

I'm thinking I'd like to have at least one phone working when we are exploring different countries, so at the moment I'm leaning towards at least an international data plan. But if there is a better/more recommended approach, I would really appreciate some advice!

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Just one word of warning about cell phones and cruise ship travel. You can incur HUGE charges if you use your cell for Internet and you don't put your phone in airplane mode or turn off data roaming. On my very first cruise with an iPhone, I had no idea about data and came home from a 7 day cruise to a $650 phone bill, and I didn't make one call. My phone kept scanning for things like emails and all the rest, and the data and per minute charges from the ship's satellite were expensive. A former neighbor of mine let her teen use his cell phone on a cruise and they came home to a phone bill of nearly $2000

When you're out at sea, the ship's wifi is better as you're not getting the $2.49 a minute charge for using their phone satellite.

Edited by kitty9

For your laptop and tablets it will likely be more advantageous if you purchase the ship's internet. As an example when we cruise there are just two of us so I purchase wifi for two devices. It will be less expensive than internet for 3, 4, or 5 devices. You can use multiple devices as long as you are only signed on with the number of devices you have selected when you buy the wifi.

You will likely not want to make any calls while on the ship unless the ship is docked and picking up wifi from the cruise terminal. The cost is horrendous.

Depending on your cellular plan you can definitely get reasonable calling in other countries, so check out your cell plan.

The first thing we do when we get onboard is turn cellular off on our iPhones and iPads.

From "Cruise Critic Message Board Forums" scroll down to the cruise company you are cruising with for much better info.

Edited by SPacificbound

Besides continuing to follow this useful thread your next [smartest] move should be to go to your ships 'Internet Cafe' after you're under way with the device or devices you want to use on your cruise - in hand. Have the attendant set you up with the most affordable and useful plan offered by your ship that will connect you with contacts you might need to stay in touch with. One of the attendants prime jobs is to sell the ships communication services.

Prior to your cruise create a list of questions gleaned from following this thread so you can show the attendant what you want to avoid and what you would like to purchase. I know a lot of very important people but none are important enough for me to call while at sea. Buying a ships WiFi service for emailing at sea is your friend. 'Airplane Mode' the phone and if not being used as a camera shut it off and pop it into your room safe so it can't talk to anything. On shore search out internet cafes. Follow a crew member as they know the least costly and best internet cafes in each port. Before traveling ask you phone carrier if your phones SIM card is or can be set up work away from the States - once you're away from your ship.

I'm thinking I'd like to have at least one phone working when we are exploring different countries, so at the moment I'm leaning towards at least an international data plan.

You don't say where you're going or what kind of phone you have or plan your service provider offers, but I agree it's great to have a phone (smartphone) while you're exploring other countries. On the ship, the ship's service is probably best, but when off the ship in port.......

If your phone is unlocked (or you can get it unlocked at no-to-low cost), then you can buy a SIM card locally that comes with some included voice minutes, texts, and data. I have done that in Spain, New Zealand, and the US (I am from Canada), and it lets me use Google Maps and find information on local sites or call for take-out food or a reservation, for instance. I also like having it to call for help in an emergency, though fortunately I've never used it.

If you are going to multiple countries, you can buy a multi-country SIM card before you go......There are various companies on line that sell them and their pricing is all different, so shop around for what you think will suit you best (some have cheaper data but expensive voice, some don't have voice minutes, some have cheaper voice and text but no data, etc.) Many of those companies also sell cheap disposable phones along with the SIM cards if your phone can't be unlocked. I have used Telestial in the past, before I got my unlocked phone, and they worked fine and I had no billing problems; I've also heard Mobal is highly recommended as well.

International data and voice roaming plans will be good when you're in port. But they do not apply when you're away from land based towers. Through the ship's cell services you will be charged through the nose. $2.50 a minute if you're on AT&T.

The ships cell towers turn off in port & European cruises are generally pretty port intensive so you will need something that covers you while on land.

Who is your cell carrier here? There are many places that have free wifi so it is pretty easy to catch up on email & the like when connected to that.

If you want constant connection contact your carrier and inquire about their international plan.

The best way to do it really depends on what your usage will be.

Just remember if you buy a sim in Europe the support will be in the language of the country where purchased and some will be considered roaming in other European countries - do your homework.

You might get better answers if you share your intended usage and who your current carrier is and where you are going - the assumption is Europe but "overseas" can mean many places which would also make a difference.

Edited by CapeCodCruiser

My US carrier is Verizon. I merely added a global plan to my phone and tablet for the time I was travelling around Europe. Reasonable costs and I didn't have to fiddle with single country sim cards vs. multi-country sim cards. Didn't have to get a special phone; I just consider the cost of the global plan as part of my cruise. Did not use DH's phone outside US; one phone was all we needed.

Hardly spent any data time on phone or tablet. http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/

Depending upon which countries you will be traveling to you may want to take a look at Three.com, a UK mobile service. I bought a sim card on ebay and loaded money through the internet before I left. They have a great data roaming called "Feel at Home". You'll need an unlocked gsm phone (T-mobile, At&T). The money I put on my phone in Oct 2015 will roll over to my next European trip in Sept 2016. I just had to make a call or send a text shortly before the number would have expired (6 months after last use). You also have options to make calls or send texts.

Have a great trip

Cynthia