Liberty problems

It is probably time for you to worry!

We are four weeks out and I am concerned as well. Appreciate any updates that fellow CC-ers can share. Is there any official status report or update from Carnival? And those poor folks on board who just saw their beach day go "pffffft"....any compensation offers? I know the port charges would be refunded but that's small comfort to those (like me) who love a day in Cozumel.

Yah, we are first week in June and I'm getting nervous. Isn't this the 2nd week in a row with problems?

It is probably time for you to worry!

We are four weeks out and I am concerned as well. Appreciate any updates that fellow CC-ers can share. Is there any official status report or update from Carnival? And those poor folks on board who just saw their beach day go "pffffft"....any compensation offers? I know the port charges would be refunded but that's small comfort to those (like me) who love a day in Cozumel.

Sea Days are better most times anyway but they will probably give $100 credit. They don't have to though.

One thruster? She has 6. Haven't been to Cozumel, but port looks pretty open and not much maneuvering needed. Hmm.

Our experiences in the past has the ship using the thrusters heavy for both arrival and departure. The pier makes a turn about halfway down and one side has some close navigation between shallow water and the moorings.

When the ship departs it usually makes a 180 degree spin just off the pier, and in spring winds it's a workout for the thrusters. Makes for great balcony time when leaving port.

Edited by BallFour4

Our experiences in the past has the ship using the thrusters heavy for both arrival and departure. The pier makes a turn about halfway down and one side has some close navigation between shallow water and the moorings.

When the ship departs it usually makes a 180 degree spin just off the pier, and in spring winds it's a workout for the thrusters. Makes for great balcony time when leaving port.

HUGE currents in Cozumel make thrusters necessary... Add some wind to that and better not to risk.

As I've said, I haven't been there, so I don't know the local situation, but I do know from experience that Captains typically treat thruster throttles as "on/off" switches, using either full power or none.

When I was on the Aloha, which had a similar set up to the Legend, but with one less stern thruster, the Captains always were practicing, and would call down for arrival or departure and ask for one or two thrusters to be left off, and they would work the remaining thrusters, twin screws, and Becker rudders (specially designed to give "lift" or sideways motion at slow speeds when traditional rudders lose their effect) to practice maneuvers in situations where equipment might be out of service, after they had perfected these maneuvers on the simulator. We had an onboard ship simulator, but not sure if Carnival does this for their Captains. Carnival may have policies in their ISM system in regards to wind/current limits with equipment out of service, and this might be what is driving them.

JMHO

As I've said, I haven't been there, so I don't know the local situation, but I do know from experience that Captains typically treat thruster throttles as "on/off" switches, using either full power or none.

When I was on the Aloha, which had a similar set up to the Legend, but with one less stern thruster, the Captains always were practicing, and would call down for arrival or departure and ask for one or two thrusters to be left off, and they would work the remaining thrusters, twin screws, and Becker rudders (specially designed to give "lift" or sideways motion at slow speeds when traditional rudders lose their effect) to practice maneuvers in situations where equipment might be out of service, after they had perfected these maneuvers on the simulator. We had an onboard ship simulator, but not sure if Carnival does this for their Captains. Carnival may have policies in their ISM system in regards to wind/current limits with equipment out of service, and this might be what is driving them.

JMHO

And a good one.

According to sea scanner she's in Progreso Mexico now. Not sure why, but c'est la vie.

Sea Scanner uses a "scheduled" position when none is available. Marine Traffic lost signal on Liberty 4.5 hours ago, leaving Cozumel.

According to ship tracker, last post 4 1/2 hours ago, the Liberty was underway north of Cozumel and south of Cancun cruising at 20 knots using engine.

I thought thrusters were only used for docking and undocking and turning the ship around on a dime while at the port, and that the only engines used when underway were the two rear screws. It would be interesting to know why they didn't dock in Cozumel.

Edited by oldvato

According to ship tracker, last post 4 1/2 hours ago, the Liberty was underway north of Cozumel and south of Cancun cruising at 20 knots using engine.

I thought thrusters were only used for docking and undocking and turning the ship around on a dime while at the port, and that the only engines used when underway were the two rear screws. It would be interesting to know why they didn't dock in Cozumel.

The fact that thrusters are used for docking, and apparently they have a problem with the thrusters would be why they didn't dock there. Captain didn't feel safe attempting to dock with limited thrusters. She did stop for a little while there, probably to test the weather conditions. Very likely no tugs available in Cozumel, while in Galveston, there will be, so the tugs can make up for the lack of one or more thrusters.

from FB:

OFFICIAL REPLY FROM CARNIVAL REGARDING THE ISSUES (It isn't as thorough as I expected, but I am owed one more answer about the plans to repair her):

--------

Hi Bill,

As you have heard, we were forced to cancel our call today in Cozumel due to technical issues with the ship’s bow thrusters. The bow thrusters are critical for us to safely maneuver the ship during docking procedures. Our technical team became aware of this issue shortly after our departure from Galveston.

Please understand that this issue will not have any impact on our ability to safely dock in Galveston on our return as we will utilize tugs to assist with the maneuvering. Unfortunately, there were no tugs available for today’s call in Cozumel. We also want to assure you that all other ship systems, hotel services and safety equipment are functioning normally.

We know how much our guests were looking forward to your time ashore and regret we are unable to deliver the itinerary they were expecting. Along with our apologies, we will be posting a $100 USD per person credit to guests onboard Sail & Sign account for their enjoyment.

That's all the information we have at this time but I'll be happy to forward on any updates we receive.

--------

So that is the 'official' word as of now.

Not my own question/response, but cut & pasted from another site:

OFFICIAL REPLY FROM CARNIVAL REGARDING THE ISSUES (It isn't as thorough as I expected, but I am owed one more answer about the plans to repair her):

--------

Hi ----,

As you have heard, we were forced to cancel our call today in Cozumel due to technical issues with the ship’s bow thrusters. The bow thrusters are critical for us to safely maneuver the ship during docking procedures. Our technical team became aware of this issue shortly after our departure from Galveston.

Please understand that this issue will not have any impact on our ability to safely dock in Galveston on our return as we will utilize tugs to assist with the maneuvering. Unfortunately, there were no tugs available for today’s call in Cozumel. We also want to assure you that all other ship systems, hotel services and safety equipment are functioning normally.

We know how much our guests were looking forward to your time ashore and regret we are unable to deliver the itinerary they were expecting. Along with our apologies, we will be posting a $100 USD per person credit to guests onboard Sail & Sign account for their enjoyment.

That's all the information we have at this time but I'll be happy to forward on any updates we receive.

--------

So that is the 'official' word as of now. I will post more once they decide when to repair the thrusters.

Edited by workroombee

Update from the same source...

---------

Hi Bill,

As promised:

Carnival Liberty is presently experiencing an issue with the ship’s bow thrusters. Bow thrusters are required during docking maneuvers. They are not required for the normal operation of the vessel except when coming in and out of port. In the absence of full bow thruster capability, the ship can arrive and depart a port with the assistance of tug boats and maintain its normal itinerary. Based on when the issue occurred during the current voyage, we were not able to secure tugboat assistance in Cozumel in time to call at that port. Future voyages are expected to operate as scheduled. Technicians are working to resolve the issue and tugboat assistance will be arranged as needed in the interim until the repairs are completed. [if needed: A previous unrelated propulsion issue that was impacting the ship’s maximum cruising speed has been resolved.]

----------

I'm sure that I am in the minority but Id bank that C note, port taxes and excursion coin and totally enjoy a sea day. It is unfortunate to miss a port for sure. However, I feel like that cost them big time in excursion $ and people eating off the ship. $100 pp is pretty fair imo...

Deja View to our Liberty Cruise in 2012!!!! We had to miss a port and we were stuck in San Juan for two days while they fixed it. Weird thing? It was one of my favorite cruises and favorite ship. Hope they fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on that same cruise!!!! Propulsion problems seem to be a common problem on Liberty.

I think they'll be able to fix it in port. If they have to dry dock they probably would have already scheduled it and they would most likely schedule it in May before summer peak season. Hoping it will be fixed and we won't miss our cruise leaving Thursday [emoji16]

Depending on what is wrong, they should be able to repair it underwater (it could be an electrical control or motor problem, too, not requiring any underwater work). Unless the whole gearbox has failed, they can dismantle the propeller and work while in port, and then strap all the parts into the tunnel and proceed to the next port. I've done this, it took about a week.

If it needs a drydock, the thruster will most likely be out of service for a good while. Drydock time slots are precious real estate, and generally need to be scheduled 9+ months in advance, unless it is an emergency, which this is not. Carnival could reschedule one of their routine dockings to let Liberty take the spot, but that would create a fiscal ripple effect they don't want to take. If the thruster is out for good, they will just suck it up and use tugs where needed, and it won't affect the cruises in the slightest, just Carnival's bottom line.

Any new updates? Will they be able to fix all the problems without dry docking it?

The problem with the propulsion that caused the slowdown earlier has already been repaired, as reported by Carnival.