Tobacco or Horseshoe

LA_CA_GAL

Arriving on Summit June 29.

I am looking for input as to which beach to go to, Tobacco or Horseshoe.

We have been to Bermuda twice, and have done Horseshoe.

But we are considering Tobacco as a new beach for us. I am also interested in possibility of doing some snorkeling.

Having never been to Tobacco, how is the beach? Rental chairs/umbrellas.How about food and drink, especially beer.

Any other things that we might want to check out in St. George's?

Any input or suggestions greatly appreciated.

But we are considering Tobacco as a new beach for us. I am also interested in possibility of doing some snorkeling.

Having never been to Tobacco, how is the beach? Rental chairs/umbrellas.How about food and drink, especially beer.

Tobacco Bay is a small, protected beach. It is shallow. Not a pink sand beach. Very good for walk in snorkeling. Large Parrot fish around the rocks. They do have chair and umbrella rentals. I always have a beer there. They do have food but I never eat there as I prefer to have lunch in the town. I like Horseshoe better but I usually go to both.

12acb6143b599248b90dace39ffc5d36.jpg

Edited by Charles4515

From about 1.00 in the first one shows Tobacco Bay, which although small is ideal for simple snorkelling. There's a small place that serves fast food snacks and a bar for all the cold beverages you'd want. Obviously as a beach it doesn't remotely compare with HSB but we really enjoyed the snorkelling and there's quite a bit to see at St George's (from about 2.02 about in the second one). All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]D3ZnJmToL5c[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]WeaD2EeS_SI[/YOUTUBE]

I love the walk from the ferry in St. Georges to Tobacco Bay. The town has a colonial feel and is so different from what you see riding the bus to Horseshoe. The snorkeling at Tobacco is okay but not good enough to do for hours. The beach has a dirty feel to me, not near as nice or scenic as Horseshoe. For example, there is no faucet to rinse the sand off your feet but a tin bucket everyone dips their feet in:eek::eek::eek: It is small and more densely populated than Horseshoe. I have been to both 4 times and will hit both each time in Bermuda. They are both nice but very different.

I have always heard the best snorkeling is at Church Bay. The one time we went there it was too rough. Have you tried or considered it?

I love the walk from the ferry in St. Georges to Tobacco Bay. The town has a colonial feel and is so different from what you see riding the bus to Horseshoe. The snorkeling at Tobacco is okay but not good enough to do for hours. The beach has a dirty feel to me, not near as nice or scenic as Horseshoe. For example, there is no faucet to rinse the sand off your feet but a tin bucket everyone dips their feet in:eek::eek::eek: It is small and more densely populated than Horseshoe. I have been to both 4 times and will hit both each time in Bermuda. They are both nice but very different.

I have always heard the best snorkeling is at Church Bay. The one time we went there it was too rough. Have you tried or considered it?

Thanx to you and everyone else that has responded, greatly appreciated the insights.

Couple of questions:

1. How long a walk from ferry to TB? What sights of interest on the way?

2. Any idea on cab service from ferry to TB, available, cost?

Snorkeling is not really at the top of my list, therefore, have not considered any excursions where that is key, so, no, did not check out Church Bay.

Not a big deal, but costs to go to TB would be cheaper, ferry and maybe cab, whereas, cabbing it to and fro Horseshoe Bay would be pretty costly, and no, we will not do a shuttle or bus.

I believe the cab driver charged us $10 USD. We walked there and it was a nice walk through town and a little bit of more urban sceneries. Maybe a 20 minute walk. Easier to take the cab back since we were tired [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanx to you and everyone else that has responded, greatly appreciated the insights.

Couple of questions:

1. How long a walk from ferry to TB? What sights of interest on the way?

2. Any idea on cab service from ferry to TB, available, cost?

Snorkeling is not really at the top of my list, therefore, have not considered any excursions where that is key, so, no, did not check out Church Bay.

Not a big deal, but costs to go to TB would be cheaper, ferry and maybe cab, whereas, cabbing it to and fro Horseshoe Bay would be pretty costly, and no, we will not do a shuttle or bus.

The walk is about 15 minutes maybe less or it seems less. It is an interesting walk and it is marked but most people walking will be heading there so follow the crowd. You will pass a couple small blocks of "town" the head uphill past the unfinished church which is interesting. Then you will walk by a golf course overlooking the sea. In town is a very old church call St. Peters which you can visit for a few minutes.

I have never done a cab so don't know cost. Van shuttles run for maybe $5.

St. Catherines Beach is also there if Tobacco gets too crowded.

I know you said you don't do bus but we take ferry one way and bus other because you see so much of Bermuda.

The walk is about 15 minutes maybe less or it seems less. It is an interesting walk and it is marked but most people walking will be heading there so follow the crowd. You will pass a couple small blocks of "town" the head uphill past the unfinished church which is interesting. Then you will walk by a golf course overlooking the sea. In town is a very old church call St. Peters which you can visit for a few minutes.

I have never done a cab so don't know cost. Van shuttles run for maybe $5.

St. Catherines Beach is also there if Tobacco gets too crowded.

I know you said you don't do bus but we take ferry one way and bus other because you see so much of Bermuda.

That's the way.

Ferry over, bus back to Hamilton with a stop @ Swizzle Inn on the way . :D

Edited by biker@sea

That's the way.

Ferry over, bus back to Hamilton with a stop @ Swizzle Inn on the way . :D

If we want to take the bus back (we will be at the Dockyard, mid-week), do we then have to take the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard? Or is it bus all the way? We are taking the ferry and visiting the caves before taking a cab to Tobacco Bay. We would like to take the most scenic route back.

If we want to take the bus back (we will be at the Dockyard, mid-week), do we then have to take the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard? Or is it bus all the way? We are taking the ferry and visiting the caves before taking a cab to Tobacco Bay. We would like to take the most scenic route back.

Once in Hamilton, you either take the ferry back to the Dockyard (20 minute ride) or change buses to a #7 or #8 for the ride to the Dockyard (60 minute ride).

SBtS