Advice on Beverage Packages

Hi all,

My wife and I are going on our honeymoon soon (aboard the Jewel of the Seas) and I had a quick question. I was trying to determine if a drink package is worth it, or if it's better to just pay as you go? I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play into that decision, but I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice they could offer?

Also, on a related topic - how does tipping work on an international cruise? I read somewhere that tips were built-in for things like restaurants and room service (if I remember correctly). Does that also include drinks at the bar?

Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Hi all,

My wife and I are going on our honeymoon soon (aboard the Jewel of the Seas) and I had a quick question. I was trying to determine if a drink package is worth it, or if it's better to just pay as you go? I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play into that decision, but I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice they could offer?

Also, on a related topic - how does tipping work on an international cruise? I read somewhere that tips were built-in for things like restaurants and room service (if I remember correctly). Does that also include drinks at the bar?

Your help is very much appreciated! Thank you for your time!

Tips for your stateroom attendant and helpers, and your dining staff are automatically added daily to your onboard account. Tips for drinks are automatically added to every drink. Room service is not included in automatic tips, so we usually give a few dollars to the crewmember who delivers the food.

If you tell us exactly what you will drink on average every day, including specialty coffees, bottled waters, glasses of wine, and cocktails, we can tell you if the drink package will save you money.

If you drink around 4 or 5 glasses of wine or mixed drinks per day, that is the break even point. Beer is a different story, since the prices for beers are more wide spread onboard. If you buy a drinks packages, the tip is included in the original purchase price.

If you use a specialty restaurant no additional tip is expected

I have the same question about my upcoming cruise (Sept 18 on Allure). It's a 7-day cruise, 3 are at sea, 4 in port. Hopefully someone will respond to me as well so I don't have to muck up the page with a new thread :)

On a typical sea day, I think I (the lighter drinker) would drink the following:

Breakfast: coffee/water, nothing fancy. Free and tap are good.

Later morning: A beer or cocktail

Lunch: more water

After lunch: 2-3 more cocktails

Dinner: 2 glasses of wine

After dinner: Drink myself dumb (2-3 more cocktails)

While in port:

More water and coffee in the morning

Perhaps 2-3 cocktails the rest of the day

It sounds like a lot typing it out like that. I'm hoping there's a sale before embarkation, but I think the Premium package may be the best for me.

I have the same question about my upcoming cruise (Sept 18 on Allure). It's a 7-day cruise, 3 are at sea, 4 in port. Hopefully someone will respond to me as well so I don't have to muck up the page with a new thread :)

On a typical sea day, I think I (the lighter drinker) would drink the following:

Breakfast: coffee/water, nothing fancy. Free and tap are good.

Later morning: A beer or cocktail

Lunch: more water

After lunch: 2-3 more cocktails

Dinner: 2 glasses of wine

After dinner: Drink myself dumb (2-3 more cocktails)

While in port:

More water and coffee in the morning

Perhaps 2-3 cocktails the rest of the day

It sounds like a lot typing it out like that. I'm hoping there's a sale before embarkation, but I think the Premium package may be the best for me.

Averaging what you posted, every day, the Premium package would save you money.

I look at it this way:

If you're a beer and wine drinker only, get that package.

If you drink 5-6 drinks a day get the Premium

If you drink the 5-6 drinks plus want water bottles and fancy coffee go with the Ultimate.

Seriously, with the prices of drinks now, it pays to get the Premium package if you're on the fence. Then you aren't worrying or thinking about how much your bill will be at the end of the cruise.

Agree with the idea that if you are having four or more drinks per day - easier to do than one might think - at $10 - $12 per drink, a package is a good idea. If one follows the panda bar's schedule the Premium Package is just right.

Yes, 18% tip is included in the price. If you find yourself dealing with the same bartender a lot a cash tip pays dividends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I look at it this way:

If you're a beer and wine drinker only, get that package.

If you drink 5-6 drinks a day get the Premium

If you drink the 5-6 drinks plus want water bottles and fancy coffee go with the Ultimate.

Seriously, with the prices of drinks now, it pays to get the Premium package if you're on the fence. Then you aren't worrying or thinking about how much your bill will be at the end of the cruise.

This should be stickied. Great breakdown. I couldn't easily find the break-even point, and "advice" columns would just say something along the lines of "Do you drink enough to warrant a package?" without giving any sort of numbers (if drinks are only $2 per, then really there's no point).

Averaging what you posted, every day, the Premium package would save you money.

Thanks, Bob, for the quick response. I still have time to stalk the sales and hope for the best (and also hope that the prices don't go up).

Ice water is everywhere. No need to "buy" water! The other packages...depends on your drinking habits! Most drinks are in the $7-9 range....wine is MUCH more expensive than it's worth....

I think the Premium package includes bottled water as well, unless it has changed since last September.

Premium still contains bottled still water. Bottled sparkling water would require the Replenish or Ultimate packages.

• 2 weeks later...

If you tell us exactly what you will drink on average every day, including specialty coffees, bottled waters, glasses of wine, and cocktails, we can tell you if the drink package will save you money.

I am a bit overwhelmed reviewing bev. packages. My hubby is leaning toward Premium packages for us and of course soda packages for the boys. I know we will get our money from Soda package (although I know it's now named something else.)

Me: an occasional mimosa in the am (but we are in ports early every day this cruise)

afternoon or pre-dinner cocktail or glass of wine, at least two glasses of wine with dinner. One or two cocktails or glasses of wine each evening as we enjoy nightly activities. Also, on the day we embark and our one day at sea I'm guessing I'd add an mojito plus a lava flow type drink to my total.

Hubby: Beer before dinner, two glasses of wine during dinner, a Crown Royal after dinner and possibly another beer but we don't stay up late. Day we embark and at sea days I can see him with additional 3 or more beers and possibly a mojito.

What are your thoughts of what we should do? We haven't cruised in several years. In past to save money we rarely drank even if we wanted too because we are so frugal. Maybe one a day but now as we are older we do drink a glass or two of red wine every day here at home. I don't want to desire an adult beverage and avoid ordering just because I'm worried about the cost.

Also, we will bring some wine on board. Can't remember the allowance. Also, can our 17 and 18 yr olds each carry on the allowance too. We'd have to buy it in Paris or Rome so I'm guessing we won't bring cheap wine on board.

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions.

I am a bit overwhelmed reviewing bev. packages. My hubby is leaning toward Premium packages for us and of course soda packages for the boys. I know we will get our money from Soda package (although I know it's now named something else.)

Me: an occasional mimosa in the am (but we are in ports early every day this cruise)

afternoon or pre-dinner cocktail or glass of wine, at least two glasses of wine with dinner. One or two cocktails or glasses of wine each evening as we enjoy nightly activities. Also, on the day we embark and our one day at sea I'm guessing I'd add an mojito plus a lava flow type drink to my total.

Hubby: Beer before dinner, two glasses of wine during dinner, a Crown Royal after dinner and possibly another beer but we don't stay up late. Day we embark and at sea days I can see him with additional 3 or more beers and possibly a mojito.

What are your thoughts of what we should do?...

If you average what you listed above, you would both benefit from the Premium package.