Fishing advice please?

BruceFan9

Hi all, we will be going on the Roatan / Belize / Costa Maya / Cozumel itinerary on the Getaway on May 15. My husband and son would love to go deep sea fishing one day and I'm wondering whether it would be best for them to go at one of these stops, or whether they should just charter something in Miami, as we're arriving three days early. What would the experts suggest? Thanks for any advice.

Hi all, we will be going on the Roatan / Belize / Costa Maya / Cozumel itinerary on the Getaway on May 15. My husband and son would love to go deep sea fishing one day and I'm wondering whether it would be best for them to go at one of these stops, or whether they should just charter something in Miami, as we're arriving three days early. What would the experts suggest? Thanks for any advice.

You'll want to check out the Ports of Call section. Lots of great info on excursions in the various ports.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=587

The fishing has been great in the keys this month. Tarpon are in season. Book there. Just thirty minutes south of Miami.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We went deep sea fishing in St Lucia and we didn't catch anything (My wife did catch a cold, but I'm not sure what she used as a lure.)

One question I asked the captain - "Is this the best time to go fishing?" He didn't understand the question, so I asked, "If you're going out fishing for you, to catch fish, when would you go?"

He said, "Sunrise. By the time the sun's up, you don't catch much."

So, I would say - try Florida, just because you may get to go out at a time when you might catch something. Excursion fishing trips match the excursion time, and that's dependent on when the ship arrives, which is why you are often fishing and not catching.

Also, at least in St Lucia, all the fishing excursions went to basically the same place, and trolled together in a circle. I kept waiting for the Indians from some 50's movie to start attacking us. So, at least I know nobody was catching anything.

Finally, when the captain asks for the second time if you want a beer, I think that means he's pretty much given up on catching anything. :)

I don't want to be all negative - It was a fun excursion. I always wanted to try deep sea fishing. It was a small enough boat that everybody got multiple times sitting in the chair. t's worth the experience, but a more personalized one before you leave Florida may give you a better chance at catching something.

Funny thing, fishing. They went out in Barbados for a half day and caught nothing. My husband thought he was being smart by going out so early in the morning (this wasn't a cruise.) The other guy on the boat was unhappy with the failure, so he went right back out again... all afternoon he sent my son and husband photos of enormous, beautiful fish on his line. My son has never stopped reminding his dad that if only they'd stayed out a FEW MORE HOURS...

I would not waste a day on a boat fishing on a cruise if I were you. You live in New York, head out to Montauk in the fall and you will catch so many fish that your arms will feel like they are falling off. There are so many fish in the Block Island sound that time of year. Stripers, blues, bonito, tuna, sharks, and all of the bottom feeders.

What I have done at times is bring a couple of breakdown rods and on a beach day I would wonder off to edge of the beaches(rocky areas) and catch some fish from shore. There are always snappers and barracudas around. It is really fun to catch even a small barracuda from shore with your own gear.

I did a fishing charter in Belize through, Action Belize. It wasn't offshore or deep sea fishing, we fished for Snook at a mouth of a river. We all caught fish , had a great time, and it was reasonably priced. There were three of us, we meet outside the cruise ship terminal, were taken to where the boat was and headed out. Richard was our guide he was real good. we tried a few spots and he found one that started producing fish. When done he dropped us off right next to the cruise ship tender pier. I would defiantly do this trip again if in Belize .

http://www.actionbelize.com

I went once in Cozumel, we went with another couple who we met on the roll call. If you catch something, they'll take it with you to Margaritaville and cook it for you. Beer and snacks are included as well.

fishingcozumel.net