Ferry to St. George - questions

cactusflower

Hi,

I have several questions about the ferry from the Royal Dockyard to St. George:

1) Our cruise ship docks at 9 am - any chance we can make the 9:30 ferry?

2) The ferry brochure has a cash price, but the Royal Dockyard website says that they don't take cash. Do they? If we could just pay with $5 bills and not have to worry about buying tokens, that would save time.

3) How bumpy is the ride? Assuming good weather - is the ride very choppy? I do fine on cruise ships, but I sometimes get sick on ferries if they are very bumpy.

4) If we end up having to take the 11:30 am ferry - how early should we get in line?

5) Same question for the return ferry, especially if we need to take the 5:30 return, which is the last ferry for the day.

I know that is a lot of questions - thank you in advance for any advice/help you can provide!

Hi,

I have several questions about the ferry from the Royal Dockyard to St. George:

1) Our cruise ship docks at 9 am - any chance we can make the 9:30 ferry?

2) The ferry brochure has a cash price, but the Royal Dockyard website says that they don't take cash. Do they? If we could just pay with $5 bills and not have to worry about buying tokens, that would save time.

3) How bumpy is the ride? Assuming good weather - is the ride very choppy? I do fine on cruise ships, but I sometimes get sick on ferries if they are very bumpy.

4) If we end up having to take the 11:30 am ferry - how early should we get in line?

5) Same question for the return ferry, especially if we need to take the 5:30 return, which is the last ferry for the day.

I know that is a lot of questions - thank you in advance for any advice/help you can provide!

You can try but making the 9:30 is not likely. They have to clear the ship. They do take cash for the ferry. Knock on wood. I have done many round trips on the ferry and have yet to have a verry bumpy ride. They will cancel in bad weather.

Not sure if I've ever taken the ferry out of Dockyard to St George, but I remember the last trip to BDA the ferry waiting area in St George was absolutely packed with herds of cruise people hoping to get on the last ferry out. So I would plan on arriving early because its a long bus ride back to Dockyard, beautiful yet long.

You can try but making the 9:30 is not likely. They have to clear the ship. They do take cash for the ferry. Knock on wood. I have done many round trips on the ferry and have yet to have a verry bumpy ride. They will cancel in bad weather.

when you say "cash", do you mean quarters/coins, or paper bills? I've heard they take coins only. If that's not the case, i rather bring paper bills as they are a lot lighter than rolls of quarters. :)

thanx.

when you say "cash", do you mean quarters/coins, or paper bills? I've heard they take coins only. If that's not the case, i rather bring paper bills as they are a lot lighter than rolls of quarters. :)

thanx.

The ferry takes exact change (coins only) and it has been posted by recent returnees that bills are accepted also, but why not just buy tokens, or a pass?

SBtS

The ferry takes exact change (coins only) and it has been posted by recent returnees that bills are accepted also, but why not just buy tokens, or a pass?

SBtS

In the context of trying to make the 9:30 ferry off of a ship that arrives at 9:00 paying cash makes sense. Speed is important. That would avoid the line to buy tokens or passes and they could head directly to the ferry.

I probably would plan for the 11:30 ferry in their (the original poster) situation but I could see deciding on the fly to try for the 9:30 if the logistics were good. Sometimes ships dock early or clear fast.

When the ship docks at 8:30, like mine did the last two years, I had time to buy the pass and I made the ferry. But that meant being ready to get off when the ship clears. When I popped off there were two windows open at the VIC at the terminal and about three in line there. If I see a long line this year for passes/ tokens I will go straight to the ferry.

Edited by Charles4515

SBtS

I haven't decide what to do yet. If i go with pass, it will be extra $30 for 4 of us vs. cash for ferry plus 2 booklets of tickets(7 trips). That $30 saved should buy me couple of beer on the ship, or pay additional bus trip if needed. :)

Edited by kd9

SBtS

According to Grandma Rambo who was there last week, they DO take dollar bills and PREFER them to US coins. She got some pretty strange looks when she tried to use a roll of quarters.

thank you.....

and if you happen to miss the last ferry and you have to take a bus how long is that ride?

You can't take a bus direct. An hour to Hamilton. There you would change buses, so some layover time. The bus to the Dockyard from Hamilton would be another hour. Or you could take a ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard, takes about 20 minute. You would have a 7 minute or so walk from the bus terminal in Hamilton to the ferry terminal.

Edited by Charles4515

According to Grandma Rambo who was there last week, they DO take dollar bills and PREFER them to US coins. She got some pretty strange looks when she tried to use a roll of quarters.

I'm sure the operator would kill me for dumping 80 coins(4 people) there.

Thanks. I'll also get some dollar bills from bank and explain to wife that they are really for the ferry ride.

I'm sure the operator would kill me for dumping 80 coins(4 people) there.

Thanks. I'll also get some dollar bills from bank and explain to wife that they are really for the ferry ride.

LOL Yes! :D I was glad to hear this recent news from her. Had to run back to the bank with my roll of quarters. So glad to get rid of that heavy weight for a few $5 bills!

Just back from Bermuda cruise. We were told to be "in line" at least 1/2 hr before. They do take $5 bills. We were in line for the "next to last" ferry 30 minutes ahead of time and the ferry left with a LONG Line of people waiting to get on but they had to wait for the last ferry.

As for my family I think since it's our first time in Bermuda we will take the ferry to Hamilton? yes? and find shopping, sightseeing and some awesome beach near???.....maybe Horseshoe???

ferry to Hamilton, yes! and find shopping (as long as it is a weekday), yes!, sightseeing, yes! some awesome beach nearby, no.

To get to the South Shore Beaches (Horseshoe is one), you would have to take a route #7 bus or taxi. Travel time by bus is about 25-30 minutes.

I recently posted the #7 bus schedule here.

SBtS

ferry to Hamilton, yes! and find shopping (as long as it is a weekday), yes!, sightseeing, yes! some awesome beach nearby, no.

To get to the South Shore Beaches (Horseshoe is one), you would have to take a route #7 bus or taxi. Travel time by bus is about 25-30 minutes.

I recently posted the #7 bus schedule here.

SBtS

Thank you, thank you...That's what I needed to know.

Where do we line up for the ferries? When watching the webcam, I can see the ferries come into the dock, but can never see a line of people. :confused:

Also, if there are 2 ferries there at 9:30 (Hamilton and St. George), how do I know which line is for which one? :confused:

Thanks for the help! :)

Where do we line up for the ferries? When watching the webcam, I can see the ferries come into the dock, but can never see a line of people. :confused:

Also, if there are 2 ferries there at 9:30 (Hamilton and St. George), how do I know which line is for which one? :confused:

Thanks for the help! :)

The area where the lines form isn't visible on the web cam shots. Believe me, the lines are there. There are signs that point you to where the two different ferry routes dock. You're not going to get lost or get on the wrong ferry.

Edited by njhorseman

The area where the lines form isn't visible on the web cam shots. Believe me, the lines are there. There are signs that point you to where the two different ferry routes dock. You're not going to get lost or get on the wrong ferry.

No wonder why I can't see them. I'll look for, and read, the signs. Thanks.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario