How to test for true Voom.

oN iNDY

internet not working for 2 days

Gamut of excuses from GS from It working on software to changing satellite to too many IPhone users:rolleyes:

100 miles from Azores Speed still .5 and .24

Ping Currently 254

this am when I was able to connect for 1 minute ping wAS 654

All this IT chest thumping, weiner comparing makes me thankful I don't work in this industry.:)

It's like watching chick fights:):D:)

Totally joking with you guys....don't hack me!

The only time network guys unite is when it is against all the other departments. LOL Let some Unix guy say it is a network problem and we turn into the Lannisters.

BTW, you must not watch UFC or Invicta FC. :)

At the end of the day the great majority don't really care about the numbers but performance - most of the time one can tell if you have old style Internet or real VOOM. A low ping or speed test (1MBs+) sorta confirms the latter.

That's why I mentioned ping times in my post. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I'm thinking around 300ms.

Well, hopefully a tech savvy person on the Indy can confirm a low ping rate. I will ask the Concierge host to email the Concierge host on the Indy and find out.

Posted them a few days ago and just done another one (attached below) on the Indy TA just north east of the Azores now - this is the surf and stream package, haven't used it much last day or two not noticed any problems as some have mentioned on here - maybe thats specific to the surf only package perhaps?

Ping not quite as low as when leaving the caribbean a bit further south although perhaps to be expected. Was sub 200 then

466503503_ScreenShot2016-05-10at22_30_37.jpg.588172bb83fd02aaf266a78b8d83c190.jpg

Posted them a few days ago and just done another one (attached below) on the Indy TA just north east of the Azores now - this is the surf and stream package, haven't used it much last day or two not noticed any problems as some have mentioned on here - maybe thats specific to the surf only package perhaps?

Ping not quite as low as when leaving the caribbean a bit further south although perhaps to be expected. Was sub 200 then

From the sound of it the ping issues being all over the place seems pretty common for a floating city reliant on satellite connection.

On the Liberty it shows "Harris Caprock comm".

....and that's the way to confirm you have old crappy Internet.

Harris - old Internet

O3B - new Internet

But, even with O3B, you may have periodic issues when performance lags.

Just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. I was calling to check in to see if there were any additional upgrades for my trip.

I asked specifically about Voom. The lady said that specific timing isn't in her information about Voom for Liberty of the Seas, but it is showing that it should have Voom "by June". She said it could be before but the information appears to change all the time.

Just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. I was calling to check in to see if there were any additional upgrades for my trip.

I asked specifically about Voom. The lady said that specific timing isn't in her information about Voom for Liberty of the Seas, but it is showing that it should have Voom "by June". She said it could be before but the information appears to change all the time.

In April, they told me it would have Voom on May 1. I think the phone reps just make up stuff.

In April, they told me it would have Voom on May 1. I think the phone reps just make up stuff.

They are only telling you what they were told to tell you.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They are only telling you what they were told to tell you.

Well that's what's weird to me. It's never consistent. You can call 3 times and get 3 different answers. That's what makes me think it's creative storytelling.

Well that's what's weird to me. It's never consistent. You can call 3 times and get 3 different answers. That's what makes me think it's creative storytelling.

That may be but this announcement was made before April.

I don't know if it's creative storytelling so much as they are just behind.

This sounds like the exact same thing AT&T and Verizon do during long drawn out deployments. They'll give you the best case scenario every time you talk to them. We are a good way through May. Them saying "By June" sounds like it's a deployment issue.

Harris - old Internet

O3B - new Internet

...not to mention there could be ship infrastructure problems. We're on Freedom now and even with Voom, we've had connection drops.

Harris - old Internet

O3B - new Internet

Maybe not:

http://www.harriscaprock.com/press_releases/2013-03-12_Harris_CapRock_and_O3b_Networks_Team.php

http://www.o3bnetworks.com/o3b-harris-caprock-team-connect-royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd/

...not to mention there could be ship infrastructure problems. We're on Freedom now and even with Voom, we've had connection drops.

Absolutely. I can't stress this enough.... We are talking about a floating city trying to give mainland convenances with limited resources...

Even at it's most ideal for how the connection is trunked to the ship there's soo many variables that can still make things less then idea.

The only time network guys unite is when it is against all the other departments. LOL Let some Unix guy say it is a network problem and we turn into the Lannisters.

I'm a unix guy and I said it was the network. I'm also the backup network guy so I'm not going to fight with myself. It really was the network, though more specifically an OTV issue. Cisco advised us to change the ARP timeout to be less than the CAM timeout. So far no more OTV problems.

You're probably right that the hardware hasn't been installed yet. One thing I've learned the past few weeks of reading people chatting about conversations with the staff is that most of them give BS answers or don't know the whole story. RCI is a company like any other. People in the departments know enough to get their job done for the given day and not much more then that.

I agree with you. This may get me flamed but someone (OP?) said the spoke to the IT manager. I suspect there's a lot more Manager than IT in that title, especially when it comes to day to day tasks. It's been several years back and may have changed since then, but I looked at some of the open positions with RCCL. It didn't look like they had any high level IT jobs actually on ships. There was maybe 1 or 2 mid level jobs that entailed everything from "my printer doesn't work" up to replacing a dead switch with a basic config. I expect they wouldn't need any real high level people on each ship since each one can be treated like a remote data center. Should you really need one they could fly you to the ships next port, and back when done.

Interesting info. I wonder if the same sat antennas have the ability to switch between the O3b sats and the geosync sats?

Totally joking with you guys....don't hack me!

Hey, can you do me a favor and move the lamp in your living room a little to the left? It's blocking my field of vision. Gotta love having an internet connected camera in your living room! :D

BTW, next time you play Just Dance on your Xbox Kinect will you please put on a shirt? :D ;)

Edited by ewenix

I'm a unix guy and I said it was the network. I'm also the backup network guy so I'm not going to fight with myself. It really was the network, though more specifically an OTV issue. Cisco advised us to change the ARP timeout to be less than the CAM timeout. So far no more OTV problems.

I agree with you. This may get me flamed but someone (OP?) said the spoke to the IT manager. I suspect there's a lot more Manager than IT in that title, especially when it comes to day to day tasks. It's been several years back and may have changed since then, but I looked at some of the open positions with RCCL. It didn't look like they had any high level IT jobs actually on ships. There was maybe 1 or 2 mid level jobs that entailed everything from "my printer doesn't work" up to replacing a dead switch with a basic config. I expect they wouldn't need any real high level people on each ship since each one can be treated like a remote data center. Should you really need one they could fly you to the ships next port, and back when done.

Exactly... I am not a "Network" guy, but I've worked as a Systems Administrator for years, worked as a Project Manager for years, and now work as a Consultant...

Looking at this from the backseat this is what I see. We know Liberty of the Seas went in for renovation in February. Sounds like the perfect time to do network infrastructure improvements. The radios could have been installed and aren't activated yet. This is very common if you have your own data center and use AT&T for connectivity for example. AT&T will mail you a cheap gateway to connect to your router and then schedule a go live time for the line. That can be anywhere from a week to a month. You are really at the whim of the vendor.

The ship probably has 20 technical support people all with the title "Manager". They probably have 2 or 3 people who monitor and manage the day to day of the data systems of the ship.

I think it's incredibly likely that all of us are getting BS answers because we're hearing the day to day "best case scenario" responses from the people who are getting second hand information. I fully believe that the equipment is on the ship and just not on. I've never worked with Satellite installations before but getting something like that done seems like the kind of work that would best be done during a ship renovation. The latest one was in February. O3B could be holding things up, or it could be a deployment issue.

Interesting info. I wonder if the same sat antennas have the ability to switch between the O3b sats and the geosync sats?

Really good question. I would imagine that they would have two different sets and keep both. I would think that you'd keep the high orbit satellites as a backup connection in case you get out of alignment with the low orbit.

Really good question. I would imagine that they would have two different sets and keep both. I would think that you'd keep the high orbit satellites as a backup connection in case you get out of alignment with the low orbit.

Or you sail to Reykjavik.:cool:

Harris - old Internet

O3B - new Internet

Probable true, But using the "ping" app and getting a low ping rate in my mind is the best way to confirm O3b.