how do singles avoid eating alone on norwegian?

sfomike

It is a reason that I will sail NCL. I hate to be hassled or pressured into sitting at a table with strangers. I am the odd duck that prefers to eat solo with I travel solo. But, when I did dip my toe in the multi-person table on NCL, I did get seated with a group of 6 others (friends and couples) Nice enough people, but I just did not feel comfortable.

i will give the solo gathering thing a try this time and see what happens. but i am glad to hear that others have this same problem. i just wish norwegian would address it more properly.

i am the opposite. i really like traveling solo but look forward to a people fix in the evening. so i find it is just too much of myself after a few days.

I never tire of myself ;)

If a cruise line introduced a chef's counter to a dining venue, I'd eat there every night, even if it was extra cost. I'm not talking about the usual sushi bar/teppanyaki setup. I mean a "normal" restaurant where you have a counter to sit at and watch the staff do it's thing. I love to sit and watch the cooks at work. When I go out to dinner, I always look for someplace with a chef's counter. Kind of like dinner theatre… If anyone knows of a ship with this feature, let me know.

i am the opposite. i really like traveling solo but look forward to a people fix in the evening. so i find it is just too much of myself after a few days.

I am like you. I enjoy my solo time during the day. I can do what I want without worry about others. I do enjoy dinners with other people. It is a good way to connect and also see what others have found interesting.

Diana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are always asked if would like to share a table - which we do. Also - do you attend the singles events on the ship? That is a great way to meet other solo travelers. The studios in the ships that have them also have a lounge where the studio guests can gather. Join your RollCall - find your ship and the your sail date - you can "meet" other solo travelers before you even board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=110

There is usually a gathering each evening in the Solo Lounge (where the studios are), and any solo is invited, not just those in the studios. (Most other times, the lounge is for studio guests only.) It's a great way to meet people and arrange dinner companions. The solo host will assist.

I had the same solo experience on my one cruise with NCL, the Jewel. It was a bum experience trying to share a table. Asking for a shared table the first night, I was left alone seated at a table that was supposed to be filled, until I notices that another nearby table was being filled oblivious of me.

My solution is to avoid NCL as a solo traveler. No problem with RCI or Princess with either their versions of anytime or traditional dining. NCL emphasis on separate dining doesn't appeal to me.

That is so interesting to hear. I expected NCL would be very solo friendly since they have solo cabins/lounge and many specialty restaurants.

My only solo experience was on Celebrity and I had the same sad experience as you did in the MDR. The host first seated me with a shared table of 9 others, but they were already getting their entrees and no one spoke to me. So I went back up to the host and asked to be seated at another shared table with people who were just arriving. He sat me at an 8-top all alone. After a few minutes I realized that they were seating everyone at other tables and I was still all alone. People started staring at me and I started to cry. I was humiliated! I walked out and told the host that I was never coming back. From then on I ate dinner at the buffet. Luckily the Celebrity Reflection had an excellent buffet and many people were sitting alone. I just brought a book to read and was more comfortable than in the dining room.

As another poster said, you might be happier on a different cruise line. In the Anytime dining room on Princess ships, they ask every single person (at every meal, everyday) if they're willing to share and the majority of people do. I love meeting different people and have made long lasting friends from having dinner with them. They have tables for 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10. I don't like 10-tops, though, because it's hard to hear everyone talking. 6-8 tops are my favorite.

Same reason why I'd never sail with them even for free. Having to go to solo gatherings just to find dining company is not for me. That's why I stick with a line that offers traditional dining and I always get my requested table for 8 or 10. That way I'm assured of dining companions.

On the conjecture that "Freestyle" might mean the way people want things, I raised the question on CC's NCL site of whether NCL might consider setting aside one dining area (perhaps part of one dining room) where traditional dining would be offered. The overwhelming response was adverse to the suggestion - indicating perhaps that NCL passengers as a rule do not want to dine with others -- which would explain the difficulty of getting even a shared table in an MDR.

• 1 year later...

I also just served as an enrichment lecturer and had this problem -- was seated at large tables where only a couple, or no one at all, showed up to eat. We should start a forum for speakers, I sent you a friend request.

We have only been on the Breakaway, but every night we were asked if we wanted to sit alone or with a group. If they don't ask you this, ask them if they have any group tables available. :)

You ay "We", but this thread is about solo sailing alone and OP asked how to avoid dining alone. One asumes when you say 'we' that you have the choice to dine with the person included in 'we'?