45 min layover in Newark -- doable? tips?

love2driveinct

I'm happy to report that we made our connection with time to spare. Taking the C to A shuttle was the key.

Sitting on the plane right now and hoping our luggage follows us to our final destination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are flying through Newark on our way home from our cruise. We have 45 minutes between connecting flights at Newark, same airline (United). It seems a little risky, but the airline had me book it that way so I'm assuming it's doable. I've never been to that airport so I have no idea how it's laid out or how hectic it is.

I know this seems like a silly question, but will they have those of us with tight connections get off the plane first? Is there anything special we need to do ahead of time?

No, they won't let you off the plane first. If you feel the connection is too tight, have them change it. You agreed to it, so expect to pay a change fee.

Too risky!

They may hold your connecting flight for a few minutes if they know you are on the way, but then will your luggage make the connection even if you do?

You could ask a flight attendant for priority disembarkation, but if you have seats towards the back that would not work.

I have been in the EWR United terminal twice in the last few weeks, and on a Saturday morning it was manic, but on the following Tuesday morning it was relatively tranquil.

They won't hold a flight at EWR unless the delayed pax has super high FF status, is a UM where the miss would force an overnight, or is in the company of two US Marshalls and being extradited. Or something else along those lines. The slots are way too tight in NYC airspace to wait for people who accepted tight connections to save some money on the way home from vacation.

I'm happy to report that we made our connection with time to spare. Taking the C to A shuttle was the key.

Sitting on the plane right now and hoping our luggage follows us to our final destination.

If your luggage doesn't make it they deliver it to your house when they get it. Just file a report

If your luggage doesn't make it they deliver it to your house when they get it. Just file a report

Yes and no.

Yes, they deliver it. It can show up in the middle of the night or be left in your doorstep in the pouring rain 10 minutes after you left for work that day. Mine was left in the middle of the night once, and a raccoon or squirrel chewed through the bag to get to the candy I had packed inside. :(.

But it is not us flying that far, it is not us trying to make that connection. I wish him well. It can be done but it won't be fun.

We are very fortunate that it worked out well. We told our kids to hustle and they did as instructed. They are getting to be great travelers. :)

I would do it all again the same way if given the same choices of flights. Taking these flights gave us almost a whole day in Anchorage, which was worth a little bit of worry over making the connection out of EWR.

Btw, I'm a "she", for what's it worth. :)

Glad it all worked out for you. We have our Alaska cruise coming up this week but our shortest connection is just over an hour in SFO. Like you we are taking a later flight out of Anchorage but if we get stuck in SFO it is no big deal. Yes, the shuttle between C and A was the only way to make it work so I am glad we pointed it out.