45 min layover in Newark -- doable? tips?

love2driveinct

And to add a note of caution to those who think if they don't make the connection because their incoming flight is late the airline will put them on the next flight remember -- planes are flying full and there may not be seats on the next flight ( or next two or three). And your bigger problem in this regard is you don't just need one seat - you need five. Going from Dulles to Orlando a couple of years ago with DH, son, DIL, and granddaughter we had to wait until late the next day when we had weather delays affecting our flight. Sure there were plenty of flights to Orlando before then but none with five empty seats. What you at least have going for you is this is your return trip and you don't risk missing the cruise. Your backup plan to drive may be your best option.

Yes, very complicated indeed. The next flight into PVD isn't until 2pm (putting us home around 4:30), and like you said, there's no guarantee there'd be five seats.

There is an 11:40am flight into another airport the same distance from our house as PVD, but again, no guarantees there'd be seats available.

Even with delays waiting to get our baggage, I think we'd be better off taking our chances with the NYC traffic and just drive home. Shouldn't be too awful on a Sunday morning, lol.

Again, hope for the best and prepare for the worst. :cool:

Edited by love2driveinct

United booked me on an ultra short connection once. I called them up and they happily changed it to a realistic one. Just call them. I dont see you making it in time.

There are no connections into PVD until the 2pm flight. (My original connecting flight leaves at 8:35am.) I would never have booked that to start with because the layover is twice the time it would take me to drive home from there.

Good thought, though, that I will keep in mind if something similar happens to me in the future. It never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is no. :)

Edited by love2driveinct

I truly do not understand these posts. "The airline" doesn't book me. I book my choices with the airline. Granted, sometimes there are changes to the original itinerary that need to be dealt with. However, I would never select, nor allow any third party (which, like Voldemort, cannot be named), to book such a short, albeit, legal connection.

I don't really know how else to explain it, but I was booking ANC-PVD and that was the best "flight" for us. (Obviously it's technically two flights, but it's one fare.)

There were not many choices returning from ANC to my preferred airports.

I made the assumption (which I realize now was probably not the best idea) that if they allowed me to book it, then they thought it met the criteria for a doable connection. Time will tell how it works out.

As someone else mentioned, this is the end of our vacation, so we don't have as much to lose, other than being exhausted from a 7-hour red-eye flight.

I truly do not understand these posts.[/b] "The airline" doesn't book me. I book my choices with the airline. Granted' date=' sometimes there are changes to the original itinerary that need to be dealt with. However, I would never select, nor allow any third party (which, like Voldemort, cannot be named), to book such a short, albeit, legal connection.[/quote']

Why? They are offered as viable options when booking, even directly with the airline. I always book directly through the airline and frequently see options with connection times such as the OP, sometimes even shorter. I've seen international connection times of 1.15 hours which is crazy available directly through airline sites.

Have I mentioned that we also have the stress of a 1h23m layover in Toronto on our way from Boston to Vancouver? :p Yep, that's going to be fun... already doing my research... I'm seeing some very recent posts on ifly that pax are no longer required to retrieve their baggage before customs and re-check it. If that is the case, then it should be pretty smooth sailing.

Have I mentioned that we also have the stress of a 1h23m layover in Toronto on our way from Boston to Vancouver? :p Yep, that's going to be fun... already doing my research... I'm seeing some very recent posts on ifly that pax are no longer required to retrieve their baggage before customs and re-check it. If that is the case, then it should be pretty smooth sailing.

Your bags will be through checked to YVR, no worries there. Please try not to stress about your flights too much. You have an awesome Alaska cruise to look forward to! Enjoy!

To emphasize what others have said, going from Terminal C to Terminal A on a 45 mnute connection is tough. The only way you will make it is to use the United Shuttle bus. It leaves from Terminal C, Gate 71 and goes directly to Terminal A. All of the A gates are in the same area but C gates are spread out over 3 piers. By using the shuttle bus you stay inside the secure area and don't have to re-screened. Any attempt to use the Air Train, it connects the three terminals and the parking lots will result in you missing your flight. It is farther to go to get it and you will have to be re-screened, a long, slow process in Newark now. When you board in ANC, tell the FA that you have a tight connection, they may help, they may not. Pray for good weather and good tail wind too....While the FAs will ask people to wait for those who have short connections many travelers are just rude and push their way off. If you can, minimize your carryons so you are not dragging a lot of crap thru the terminal and on and off the shuttle bus. You might even consider paying for E+ seats for your group to get you closer to the front. No, that is not cheap but it might be the difference in time and you will get more leg room for long, overnight flight.

And your bigger problem in this regard is you don't just need one seat - you need five. Going from Dulles to Orlando a couple of years ago with DH, son, DIL, and granddaughter we had to wait until late the next day.....Sure there were plenty of flights to Orlando before then but none with five empty seats.

That is when you should consider splitting up your party. Chances are you could have been accommodated that day if you'd been willing to put 2 people on one flight, 3 on another, or split even further 2/2/1 for example.

I made the assumption (which I realize now was probably not the best idea) that if they allowed me to book it, then they thought it met the criteria for a doable connection.

It does, but only if no problems arise. If airlines only allowed you to book an itinerary that was guaranteed to work even if there are problems, well, they simply couldn't do it, as no one can predict and plan for every possible contingency. So minimum connect time is based on everything going according to plan. If that happens, your connection is indeed doable.

If YOU have additional factors that need to be considered (mobility issues, for example) it is up to you, not the airline, to factor in additional time that may be needed.

It does, but only if no problems arise. If airlines only allowed you to book an itinerary that was guaranteed to work even if there are problems, well, they simply couldn't do it, as no one can predict and plan for every possible contingency. So minimum connect time is based on everything going according to plan. If that happens, your connection is indeed doable.

If YOU have additional factors that need to be considered (mobility issues, for example) it is up to you, not the airline, to factor in additional time that may be needed.

We do not have any special factors to consider -- we are an active family that will likely have only 1 or 2 carry-ons and is fully capable of hustling through the airport if needed. Fingers crossed!

To emphasize what others have said, going from Terminal C to Terminal A on a 45 mnute connection is tough. The only way you will make it is to use the United Shuttle bus. It leaves from Terminal C, Gate 71 and goes directly to Terminal A. All of the A gates are in the same area but C gates are spread out over 3 piers. By using the shuttle bus you stay inside the secure area and don't have to re-screened. Any attempt to use the Air Train, it connects the three terminals and the parking lots will result in you missing your flight. It is farther to go to get it and you will have to be re-screened, a long, slow process in Newark now. When you board in ANC, tell the FA that you have a tight connection, they may help, they may not. Pray for good weather and good tail wind too....While the FAs will ask people to wait for those who have short connections many travelers are just rude and push their way off. If you can, minimize your carryons so you are not dragging a lot of crap thru the terminal and on and off the shuttle bus. You might even consider paying for E+ seats for your group to get you closer to the front. No, that is not cheap but it might be the difference in time and you will get more leg room for long, overnight flight.

All good info, thank you!

As far as E+, I just checked and the seats are literally three times what we paid so it would cost us $3540 to upgrade. :eek:

Waterbug123,

Yes that would have been the thing to do in normal circumstances but with the little one and her parents being uncomfortable infrequent flyers separating was not an option. And driving was not an option which at least is something the OP can consider.

Sometimes I think there should be a big stickie at the top titled "Things to Know BEFORE you book a flight". Topping that list would be " just because it is a legal connection does not mean it is a a reasonable connection." It is a shame to see so many stress out over something like this.

Love2driveinct,

Just looked at seats on your flight -- second/third row Econ plus available for $114-119 per seat. Where did you get your numbers?

Oops -- I thought that was the same as Economy (flexible). Sorry. I haven't flown United since I was a kid, not used to their formats.

We still wouldn't spend that much, to be honest. (We wouldn't even spend the $20 to have assigned seats on our Air Canada flights.) I'd rather be inconvenienced somewhat and have the money for other things. And again, for $575 we could easily rent a car and drive home.

Thanks for checking, though.

Edited by love2driveinct

Waterbug123,

Sometimes I think there should be a big stickie at the top titled "Things to Know BEFORE you book a flight". Topping that list would be " just because it is a legal connection does not mean it is a a reasonable connection." It is a shame to see so many stress out over something like this.

It sounds like a good idea for someone to put a list together. There are so many experienced travelers on this board that would be willing to share their suggestions, I'm sure. That being said, I imagine it would require frequent updating as some things keep changing.

For the record, I am not really stressed over it, just wanted to be prepared with the possibilities. I especially appreciate the tip about making sure to take the Bus and not the AirTrain. And... if I had to do it all again I would still book the same flights for the reasons I stated above.

Edited by love2driveinct

As noted, your checked bags will be tagged for Providence. Not sure UA could access them to give to you if you drove. Assuming that didn't affect your fare cost upwards. Maybe they'd give you a pass to one of the United Clubs for your long wait until the next flight.

Edited by Fattony

I would HIGHLY recommend that you go to the Pearson website and go to their "Connection Guide" where you can find your specific procedures at YYZ.

LINK HERE

Far better to get the official word, rather than random posts on "ifly". I would also question information on a website that puts Toronto's airport under "US Airports" rather than "International".

Why? They are offered as viable options when booking, even directly with the airline. I always book directly through the airline and frequently see options with connection times such as the OP, sometimes even shorter. I've seen international connection times of 1.15 hours which is crazy available directly through airline sites.
I'm going to add my own reply based on Shorex's thinking (I hope).

NO ONE is forcing you to purchase those short connections. Yes, the airline offers them, but you don't have to take them. They are "viable" in terms of being within the MCT, but people need to do at least some due diligence when they plunk down their cash.

Too many times, people start asking question AFTER they make a decision, rather than the other way around. Are they now looking for confirmation that they made a correct decision?

People are responsible for their decisions. Period. And if they buy a ticket with an impossibly short connection without having done due diligence, I can only say "caveat emptor".

I'm going to add my own reply based on Shorex's thinking (I hope).

NO ONE is forcing you to purchase those short connections. Yes, the airline offers them, but you don't have to take them. They are "viable" in terms of being within the MCT, but people need to do at least some due diligence when they plunk down their cash.

Too many times, people start asking question AFTER they make a decision, rather than the other way around. Are they now looking for confirmation that they made a correct decision?

People are responsible for their decisions. Period. And if they buy a ticket with an impossibly short connection without having done due diligence, I can only say "caveat emptor".

I totally agree, that's what I was trying to say. Guess I didn't word it very well.

We are flying through Newark on our way home from our cruise. We have 45 minutes between connecting flights at Newark, same airline (United). It seems a little risky, but the airline had me book it that way so I'm assuming it's doable. I've never been to that airport so I have no idea how it's laid out or how hectic it is.

I know this seems like a silly question, but will they have those of us with tight connections get off the plane first? Is there anything special we need to do ahead of time?

You were sold that connection (and probably at a decent price) because no "seasoned" (I.e., business) air traveler would ever opt for a 45 minute layover at a major metro airport unless it was all that was available AND they were not expected to be "on time or else" at the destination.

Given all the modern issues with air travel (not the least of which is the scarcity of open seats on the flight(s) after the one you may miss because of the tight connection), I'd advise at least 90 minutes layover for domestic connections and domestic to/from airports AND a minimum of 120-180 minutes layover for any connection along the entire itinerary for international travel.

Just for fun, compare prices for what I've mentioned above (I.e., shorter vs longer layovers). You'll see what I mean.

You were sold that connection (and probably at a decent price) because no "seasoned" (I.e., business) air traveler would ever opt for a 45 minute layover at a major metro airport unless it was all that was available AND they were not expected to be "on time or else" at the destination.

Actually a lot of "seasoned (i.e. business) air travelers despise "wasting time" sitting in airports and frequently DO book short connections. They know the airport, they know how to get around the airport quickly etc. and know that as elite level frequent flyers they'll receive some level of priority in being rebooked if they don't make the connection. Sure, if they absolutely, positively MUST be in XYZ at 3:00 sharp "or else" they'll book a longer connection. But you'd be surprised how often seasoned travelers really do book less time. I frequently fly to/from FLL via ATL. There are a dozen or more daily flights into ATL from my home airport and likewise for flights from ATL to FLL. If I'm flying mid-day, when I know there are multiple later flights, I seldom HAVE to be there exactly at such and such time and will book a 45 min connection in a skinny minute if it saves money. The vast majority of the time it works out just fine. Occasionally it doesn't, and I'm generally on the next flight an hour or so later. YMMV :)

All good info, thank you!

As far as E+, I just checked and the seats are literally three times what we paid so it would cost us $3540 to upgrade. :eek:

Yikes....that is beyond stuipid, on United's part, not yours. SO just be ready to hustle to the shuttle.

Yes, I saw that after I responded. United Airlines in it's current state is still pretty stupid based on my personal experiences. Sadly I have a long history with them and a lot of up close and personal experience in dealing with them. On another note, if it was me I would probably spend the extra $500 to have E+ seats for the leg room alone on a long overnight flight. Add in the need to get off the plane quickly and it is worth it to me.

Edited by Mr. Click