Watching sail away at Port Canaveral - Saturday or Sunday?

Hi guys.... Need a little advice from the experts here...

We are spending a week in Orlando after doing a B2B on Adventure from San Juan. What is the best afternoon to watch the ships departing Port Canaveral? Saturday or Sunday?

Our flight from San Juan doesn't arrive until 3:30 pm Saturday. Do you think we will make sail away for the most of the ships, factoring in collecting baggage and picking up the rental car?

Or should we just relax and go Sunday instead?

What is the best location for viewing, having something to eat and a vicarious sail away drink?

Cheers!

Hi guys.... Need a little advice from the experts here...

We are spending a week in Orlando after doing a B2B on Adventure from San Juan. What is the best afternoon to watch the ships departing Port Canaveral? Saturday or Sunday?

Our flight from San Juan doesn't arrive until 3:30 pm Saturday. Do you think we will make sail away for the most of the ships, factoring in collecting baggage and picking up the rental car?

Or should we just relax and go Sunday instead?

What is the best location for viewing, having something to eat and a vicarious sail away drink?

Cheers!

Fishlips! That's where the webcam is located. :)

In terms of Sat/Sun... Sat might be pushing it to get there, but for me at this time of year Friday, Saturday, or Monday would be the day I'd choose because IMHO the most fun ships to watch are DCL's because of the Mickey Whistles (and if you get a really fun captain he'll play all 7 of them!!). None of their ships are in port on Sunday. But if that doesn't matter to you, Sunday would work.

In terms of Sat/Sun... Sat might be pushing it to get there, but for me at this time of year Friday, Saturday, or Monday would be the day I'd choose because IMHO the most fun ships to watch are DCL's because of the Mickey Whistles (and if you get a really fun captain he'll play all 7 of them!!). None of their ships are in port on Sunday. But if that doesn't matter to you, Sunday would work.

Monday?

I hadn't considered that. Just thought that most departures were over the weekend. Which ship leaves Monday?

Would love to do a Disney cruise but are waiting to get some grandkids..... Our kids are 27, 24 and nearly 22 and don't really want to cruise with us anymore :eek:

Monday?

I hadn't considered that. Just thought that most departures were over the weekend. Which ship leaves Monday?

Would love to do a Disney cruise but are waiting to get some grandkids..... Our kids are 27, 24 and nearly 22 and don't really want to cruise with us anymore :eek:

The Dream. It's on a Friday 3-night, Monday 4-night schedule.

Aww, that's too bad!! We did our first DCL cruise 3 summers ago - a 3-night Dream cruise as part of a family trip celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary (so clearly my sister and I are adults). We love traveling as a family - of course we all understand that there will be some family times and other times when we can do whatever we choose. :)

The Dream. It's on a Friday 3-night, Monday 4-night schedule.

Aww, that's too bad!! We did our first DCL cruise 3 summers ago - a 3-night Dream cruise as part of a family trip celebrating my parents' 45th anniversary (so clearly my sister and I are adults). We love traveling as a family - of course we all understand that there will be some family times and other times when we can do whatever we choose. :)

I should qualify my response... I'm sure they would love to cruise with us if we were still paying their fare :D

I just need to let go and accept they are doing their own thing :)

Does it feel awkward cruising with Disney without children in your party? Their product looks tempting but assumed we needed small children with us to feel accepted. Do adults cruise Disney proudly without children? I am a big kid at heart so does that count? Haha

Monday?

Majesty also leaves on Monday.

The Freedom is in port on sundays and I am fairly sure a Carnaval ship is too. There also use to be a disney ship. We leave on the Freedom this Sunday.

The Freedom!!

It was our first cruise... From Miami in 2008!

My favorite class... Though DW loves Radiance.

What time is sail away? Best wishes for a great cruise!!

Majesty also leaves on Monday.

Thanks Bob!

You are always a great resource. :)

So Monday is an option. I assume being Monday that there will be less people at Fishlips so we will be more comfortable/less crowded?

What time is would be ideal to secure a good position?

Thanks Bob!

You are always a great resource. :)

So Monday is an option. I assume being Monday that there will be less people at Fishlips so we will be more comfortable/less crowded?

What time is would be ideal to secure a good position?

Depends how long you want to spend there. Majesty leaves at 4pm. I believe Disney Dream leaves a bit after that. Also note that the Royal ships will already be down the channel at Terminal 1, so will not cruise past Fishlips, or any of the restaurants on the channel. You will still see them in the distance, but if you want to see the Royal ships cruise past you, then Jetty Park is an option.

Depends how long you want to spend there. Majesty leaves at 4pm. I believe Disney Dream leaves a bit after that. Also note that the Royal ships will already be down the channel at Terminal 1, so will not cruise past Fishlips, or any of the restaurants on the channel. You will still see them in the distance, but if you want to see the Royal ships cruise past you, then Jetty Park is an option.

Ahhh.

Terminal 1... Is this a new thing for Majesty?

Previously when we have cruised with Royal from here it was at Terminal 10.

Hey thanks for the calendar link Jim.

Been a while since we cruised from Port Canaveral..... Seems Carnival has an increased presence or is it just me?

Yes, it seems to be attracting a lot of ships. In fact NCL's Epic is going to home port there starting this November. Edited by FLACRUISER99

Ahhh.

Terminal 1... Is this a new thing for Majesty?

Previously when we have cruised with Royal from here it was at Terminal 10.

Yes, Terminal 1 is relatively new, and is on the south side of the channel, just east of Grills.

Agreed - Fishlips is the perfect spot to watch sailaway while sipping on a drink or two ... or three .... or .....:rolleyes:

Yes, it seems to be attracting a lot of ships. In fact NCL's Epic is going to home port there starting this November.

You guys are so lucky to have such a variety to choose from locally and within reasonable distances. I am so envious!

Yes, Terminal 1 is relatively new, and is on the south side of the channel, just east of Grills.

Does Freedom leave from Terminal 10?

It would be nice to get a good view of her as she sails down the channel.

Agreed - Fishlips is the perfect spot to watch sailaway while sipping on a drink or two ... or three .... or .....:rolleyes:

Unfortunately I am the designated driver so it will only be the one :(

For some reason I am the only one in our party who doesn't mind driving on the wrong side of the road*

* Aussies drive on left side of the road and right side of car.

The Freedom is in port on sundays and I am fairly sure a Carnaval ship is too. There also use to be a disney ship. We leave on the Freedom this Sunday.

Disney Dream used to be on a Thursday/Sunday schedule, but last fall changed to a Friday/Monday schedule.

The Magic may have left on some Sundays while it was on this side of the Atlantic, but she's on her way or in Europe now.

So then Jetty Park is the only option to get a reasonable view as she goes past?

I don't know if there is another spot to see Freedom go by west of Jetty Park. Maybe one of the locals would know, John?

I should qualify my response... I'm sure they would love to cruise with us if we were still paying their fare :D

I just need to let go and accept they are doing their own thing :)

Does it feel awkward cruising with Disney without children in your party? Their product looks tempting but assumed we needed small children with us to feel accepted. Do adults cruise Disney proudly without children? I am a big kid at heart so does that count? Haha

I've cruised Disney 3 times all as an adult. Once with my parents and sister and twice as a solo. I never once felt out of place. The characters will still interact with you if you choose (Captain Jack Sparrow is AMAZING with adults especially!!) Given equal itineraries, I'd generally choose Disney over any I've been on so far - the exception being next February I'm trying Celebrity on a pretty similar itinerary because Disney has opted to expand Star Wars Days at Sea to every week from January through April next year and as I am NOT a Star Wars fan, I'm choosing to avoid the crazy.

But yes, I've seen MANY adults proudly cruise Disney without kids. (In fact, I find that other than shows or mealtimes, I am often hard-pressed to realize that there are a lot of kids on board as they love the kids' spaces so much they STAY there. I've seen parents literally having to drag their kids out for "family time".)

I've cruised Disney 3 times all as an adult. Once with my parents and sister and twice as a solo. I never once felt out of place. The characters will still interact with you if you choose (Captain Jack Sparrow is AMAZING with adults especially!!) Given equal itineraries, I'd generally choose Disney over any I've been on so far - the exception being next February I'm trying Celebrity on a pretty similar itinerary because Disney has opted to expand Star Wars Days at Sea to every week from January through April next year and as I am NOT a Star Wars fan, I'm choosing to avoid the crazy.

But yes, I've seen MANY adults proudly cruise Disney without kids. (In fact, I find that other than shows or mealtimes, I am often hard-pressed to realize that there are a lot of kids on board as they love the kids' spaces so much they STAY there. I've seen parents literally having to drag their kids out for "family time".)

Good to know... Thanks!

I am a HUGE Star Wars fan... Was 9 years old when the first one came out and loved it ever since. I would be all up in that crazy :eek:

Happy that Disney bought the franchise and is continuing the legacy :)

They will certainly get the most out their investment.