Another EZ Air Question

hpeabody

I just received my "contract" from my on-line TA. I have never booked EZ air until this cruise. The one way flexible fare on EZ air is a no brainer compared to what the airlines want. This passage (below) in my "contract" caught my eye. Has anyone actually had to pay a higher price than it was when you booked EZ air because you waited until final payment time to pay and be ticketed. My cruise is a long way off and I really do not want to pay now if I can help it.

If you will be purchasing “flexible” airfare through the EZAir program (instead of “restricted” airfare), the cost of the airfare is NOT GUARANTEED unless your entire reservation, including airfare, is paid in full. Until that time, the cost of your selected flight(s) are subject to change at the sole discretion of Princess Cruises and/or their partner airlines.

No, I've never seen a fare increase. However if that worries you, you can lock in the fare by paying for the cruise and air in full.

I spoke with Princess a couple weeks ago because I had paid our cruise in full. When I tried to get seat assignments on the plane, I kept getting an error message so I called the airline. They explained that Princess had reserved a space for us on the flight but because they had not paid for the ticket, I couldn't arrange seats. I waited another week; same story. So I called Princess. I was told that they don't purchase the seat until 45 days before the cruise which is what allows them to reduce your fare should the airline drop the price. i could have they buy it now by completing and submitting a form, but that would lock it in at the price I'd paid--no reductions possible.

Because of our need for seating as close to the front as possible due to mobility issues, that's exactly what I did. The EZAir price was several hundred dollars per person less than the best I could find on line, and I don't see it going lower!

Princess has arranged airfare contracts with the various airlines. The issues of possible price changes and when Princess will pay the airlines are spelled out in these contracts. Using EZ Air sets Princess as a middleman between you and the airline. There is nothing overtly wrong with this except that you have no idea what what is written in the Princess/airline contract nor what restrictions are attached to the ticket that Princess has sold to you since the ticket is opaque. These restrictions can be anything from not allowing re-routing to not being able to upgrade. The only way to find out if there are onerous restrictions is to have your EZ Air flight go pear shaped. No flight issues, no problem.

We had it happen a long time ago when we used princess for our air fare not sure it was ezair back then. It was before the time you could choose your own flights. you only found out what air line you were flying after final payment. The increase was not alot under 50.00 per person.

We have used princess air for 8 cruises and only have had the airfare go up once. Have been really happy with ezair.:)

I've booked EZ-Air for our October 2016 New England/Canada cruise. Haven't paid for tix yet.

Is it possible to check to see if EZ-Air has gone down any? I don't want to jeopardize what I have already booked.

I've booked EZ-Air for our October 2016 New England/Canada cruise. Haven't paid for tix yet.

Is it possible to check to see if EZ-Air has gone down any? I don't want to jeopardize what I have already booked.

Just go on the web site and do a mock booking. Search for your cruise. When it comes up, go to the next screen (as if you were going to book it). When you click on cruise details, the next screen will have a block up top that says "Get a Flight Quote". Click on that and plug in your dates and it will show you flight options with prices. If the price has gone down since you booked, you can call your TA or Princess to change to the lower fare or you can go to Cruise Personalizer and do it yourself.

We had several price drops for our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise last year and I did the change each time. When it came time for our final payment, fare prices were up but we still paid the lower fare. We love ezAir.

Harry

We had several price drops for our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise last year and I did the change each time. When it came time for our final payment, fare prices were up but we still paid the lower fare. We love ezAir.Harry

Harry, So even though the current price was up, you still paid what you booked at final payment? Is that correct? This is exactly what I need to know. What airline did you use?

Edited by hpeabody

Just go on the web site and do a mock booking. Search for your cruise. When it comes up, go to the next screen (as if you were going to book it). When you click on cruise details, the next screen will have a block up top that says "Get a Flight Quote". Click on that and plug in your dates and it will show you flight options with prices. If the price has gone down since you booked, you can call your TA or Princess to change to the lower fare or you can go to Cruise Personalizer and do it yourself.

We had several price drops for our Hawaii/Tahiti cruise last year and I did the change each time. When it came time for our final payment, fare prices were up but we still paid the lower fare. We love ezAir.

Harry

I'm not sure I understand. I thought that if the fare went up (airfare portion), you were charged that new rate, and the only way to avoid it is to pay the airfare in full to lock in the price.

We had a fare increase ONLY because I changed our flight times - it would have cost more to book those flights when I originally booked the flights thru EZAir. But, there was no "change ticket" charge. I'm OK with that...

I'm not sure I understand. I thought that if the fare went up (airfare portion)' date=' you were charged that new rate, and the only way to avoid it is to pay the airfare in full to lock in the price.[/quote']

I copied this from the Princess web site while doing a mock air booking:

•No fees will be charged for changes and cancellations made more than 45 days from the outbound flight date or sail departure date (whichever is earlier).

•Change and cancellation can be made 45 days or less from the outbound flight date or sail departure date (whichever is earlier). A fee starting at $150 up to the full cost of the ticket, per ticket, will apply.

•Tickets are nontransferable.

•In some instances, name changes will not be permitted, and will require cancellation and rebooking of flights.

•Prices are for e-tickets, per person, and include all flight taxes and fees.

•Prices do not include baggage fees or other fees of up to $200 for the first or second checked bag.

•After ticketed departure time, no changes are permitted and ticket has no value if guest has not cancelled the ticketed flight reservation.

•Reconfirming flights is the guest's responsibility.

•Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials aboard aircraft in your checked or carryon baggage.

•Prices are not subject to increase, except for charges resulting from increases in government imposed taxes or fees.

•Cancelling your cruise/cruisetour booking for any reason will cancel any air bookings associated with the cruise/cruisetour booking, and fees will be applied if applicable.

Note the second from last bullet. This was the case on our recent Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. We are also booked through ezAir for our upcoming Royal Princess TA. When I first booked, air was $698.00. There were 3 price drops and I took advantage of all of them. Long story short, we are now booked at $564.00.

Prices have been all over the board and the lowest now (for our selected dates) is $591.00. Lowest Delta fare is now $669.00.

We are Delta Sky Miles members so Delta is our preferred airline. We book early and keep a close eye out for price drops. We LOVE ezAir.

Harry

I copied this from the Princess web site while doing a mock air booking:

•No fees will be charged for changes and cancellations made more than 45 days from the outbound flight date or sail departure date (whichever is earlier).

•Change and cancellation can be made 45 days or less from the outbound flight date or sail departure date (whichever is earlier). A fee starting at $150 up to the full cost of the ticket, per ticket, will apply.

•Tickets are nontransferable.

•In some instances, name changes will not be permitted, and will require cancellation and rebooking of flights.

•Prices are for e-tickets, per person, and include all flight taxes and fees.

•Prices do not include baggage fees or other fees of up to $200 for the first or second checked bag.

•After ticketed departure time, no changes are permitted and ticket has no value if guest has not cancelled the ticketed flight reservation.

•Reconfirming flights is the guest's responsibility.

•Federal law forbids the carriage of hazardous materials aboard aircraft in your checked or carryon baggage.

•Prices are not subject to increase, except for charges resulting from increases in government imposed taxes or fees.

•Cancelling your cruise/cruisetour booking for any reason will cancel any air bookings associated with the cruise/cruisetour booking, and fees will be applied if applicable.

Note the second from last bullet. This was the case on our recent Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. We are also booked through ezAir for our upcoming Royal Princess TA. When I first booked, air was $698.00. There were 3 price drops and I took advantage of all of them. Long story short, we are now booked at $564.00.

Prices have been all over the board and the lowest now (for our selected dates) is $591.00. Lowest Delta fare is now $669.00.

We are Delta Sky Miles members so Delta is our preferred airline. We book early and keep a close eye out for price drops. We LOVE ezAir.

Harry

Thank you! :) We have always arranged our flights independently, but I think I will take a closer look at ezAir!

I can not find how to get a quote for first class. I need it for size issues.

Any ideas.

When you go to the Get an airfare quote button and it transfers you to the EZAir screen, the default is "economy." At the top of the screen is a scroll down that allows you to select Economy Plus, Business, or First Class. I was shocked on our upcoming cruise to see the Economy Plus fares--it as FAR less to book economy and then contact Delta on line to add the Economy Plus upgrade. If booking first class, I'd suggest pricing it both ways first.

Edited by moki'smommy

This used to be an issue, but Princess revamped EZ-Air to protect pricing once you book as long as you don't make any changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is VERY good news to me...my 1 way return flight from San Francisco is nearly double the price it was when I booked it several months ago...

Just did a mock booking on the Princess Site & the price of air had gone up about $200...but the final balance owed has not changed on my booking...glad I booked when I did...

Edited by kc320