Viking Elegant Casual Dress Code

katmu

Hello Viking Ocean board-

I had originally posted this on the Cruise Fashions board but it was suggested that I might get more feedback here.

My SO and looking at Viking Star for our next cruise to the Caribbean, specifically the 11 day West Indies Explorer, and in looking at their website I'm struggling a bit to picture what exactly an "elegant casual" outfit would be for women. Does that mean heels and a cocktail type dress? or would flats or low wedge dressier sandals and a jersey dress with a wrap be acceptable?

This is the dress code:

For evenings, the recommended onboard dress is "elegant casual" for most restaurants, performances or other special events. Suggested attire for women includes dresses, skirts or slacks with sweaters or blouses; for men, trousers and collared shirts are recommended. Ties and jackets are optional but not required.

Thank you.

Your guess about what elegant casual looks like is spot on. For women, a nice dress (in the Caribbean a sundress would be great) or a dressy top and pants and sandals like the ones you describe. On the Viking Star I packed black slacks and some silk tops and knits and accessorized with either scarves or jewelry. My husband wore khaki trousers and either a button down woven shirt or a nice quality Polo shirt.

I've done three river cruises with Viking so far and we'll be doing our first Viking Oceans cruise in a few weeks. I'm hoping that the attitudes that I've encountered on the Viking river cruises have carried over to the ocean-liners. Within reason, people just seem to wear what they want, what they like to wear. Some folks like to really dress up for dinner and that is what they do. Others have little interest in it and don't bother with it. The rest fall somewhere between the two extremes, but skewed toward casual. In other words, you will probably see fewer cocktail dresses and more jersey dresses but in the end, it is your vacation, so wear what makes you happy.

Thank you both for your replies. I'm feeling more comfortable about the dress code.

I like to dress up a bit at dinner, but I'm hoping to leave the cocktail dresses and uncomfortable heels at home if I can.

t I'm hoping to leave the cocktail dresses and uncomfortable heels at home if I can.

Of course you can! Leave all of the uncomfortable shoes at home. Take what makes YOU happy--and only what makes you happy. It is your vacation.

I just returned from the Viking Sea and did not see a cocktail dress at all. I didn't go to the captains's reception, however....there may have been some there. If you want to wear dressier shoes, you can but not necessary. We ate in the buffet area most nights and wore flats or sandals. Most people appeared not to have changed from whatever they wore all day. Those eating in the specialty restaurants appeared to have cleaned up a bit but not dressed to cocktail level. Carribean cruises are generally more informal than others because of the warm weather....just avoid beach and/or pool attire in the dining rooms. If you want to look more dressed, scarves and jewelry can upgrade for you.

• 2 weeks later...
Good. I'm not a dressy dresser at all. A better grade of chino slacks and a polo shirt was my preferred "evening wear" when we did VR 2 yrs ago.

Ditto!

There is only so much room in one carry-on and one "personal item" per person--and the camera gear, other gadgets and meds have first priority, so that doesn't leave much room for clothing--and his shoes take up so much space!!!!. At least there is a laundry room on board (and laundry service, too).

Ditto!

There is only so much room in one carry-on and one "personal item" per person--and the camera gear, other gadgets and meds have first priority, so that doesn't leave much room for clothing--and his shoes take up so much space!!!!. At least there is a laundry room on board (and laundry service, too).

Peregrina, I may have missed this but is there a reason you are just doing carry on instead of checking a bag?? Just curious. I am a pretty light packer but I'm not sure I could get enough in a carry on for the Midnight Sun route !!

Peregrina, I may have missed this but is there a reason you are just doing carry on instead of checking a bag?? Just curious. I am a pretty light packer but I'm not sure I could get enough in a carry on for the Midnight Sun route !!

Lots of reasons but mostly that if we always have our luggage in our control then nothing gets lost and we're not waiting for it to be delivered (which at Logan, at least, can be forever). Sometimes the airlines force us to check even our carry-on (for weight or size) but we take with us only what we can manage on stairs, escalators and public transportation. I'll let you know if it works out for Midnight Sun.

Lots of reasons but mostly that if we always have our luggage in our control then nothing gets lost and we're not waiting for it to be delivered (which at Logan, at least, can be forever). Sometimes the airlines force us to check even our carry-on (for weight or size) but we take with us only what we can manage on stairs, escalators and public transportation. I'll let you know if it works out for Midnight Sun.

I'm with you. I don't consider myself a heavy packer but the idea of trying to heft a carry-on bag with clothes etc for even a week makes me shudder. And I detest (sorry folks!) the passengers I see lugging everything on board rather than using checkin for what are clearly items that don't belong on the plane. For a big trip like this I'll have 4 things: large expandable suitcase which will be checked in, a fanny pack, (wallet, passport, etc), a backpack holding all kinds of things (iPad, books, medicines, etc), and a camera bag. Just before boarding the plane, the fanny pack will be stuffed into the backpack (and pulled back out again once onboard). Altho, having suffered thru baggage claim for United Express at Dulles, I fully understand your approach to packing. I just don't agree. (ebooks are a great way to keep from going insane).

And oh I might break down and get dressier slacks that I can then wear to the office afterwards. [emoji1]

We did not see a sequin or cocktail dress during the month we were on board, including a dinner with the captain. There were a few who turned out in jeans at the main restaurant and specialty, but they honestly were rare and a bit out of place. Linen pants, slacks, blouse...a dress if you want....but nothing flashy and really dressy were the norm. That said, if someone wants to go that route, why not! It truly is pretty flexible.....mix & match works!

If you make it all fit in your carry on you are my hero!:)

• 2 weeks later...

In two weeks on the Viking Sea (into the Midnight Sun), the only sport coat I saw was the one I packed and seldom used. I did not see a cocktail dress. Very few men wearing ties either. Including at the Captain's welcome recoption in the theater.

• 2 weeks later...
I've done three river cruises with Viking so far and we'll be doing our first Viking Oceans cruise in a few weeks. I'm hoping that the attitudes that I've encountered on the Viking river cruises have carried over to the ocean-liners. Within reason, people just seem to wear what they want, what they like to wear. Some folks like to really dress up for dinner and that is what they do. Others have little interest in it and don't bother with it. The rest fall somewhere between the two extremes, but skewed toward casual. In other words, you will probably see fewer cocktail dresses and more jersey dresses but in the end, it is your vacation, so wear what makes you happy.

Your absolutely right. Through the many years of cruising We find Elegant Casual a fine way to describe the modern day dress codes on the ships. Personally I am thrilled not to have to pack those elegant, Elegant dresses and hubby never cared for having to wear a tux while on vacation.We are looking forward to our first Viking Ocean Cruise in Nov. Kent and Sandy

Just back from our cruise and the dress code in action was casual and comfortable--and quite varied. While most folks wore to dinner some version of their day-wear, I did see a couple of suits and jackets and some sparkles but for the most part, not. On the other hand, I didn't see many folks in The Restaurant in shorts. We did change for dinner but mostly to feel fresh after a day's touring around.

Weather was cool on our cruise as we cruised up the Norwegian coast and above the Arctic Circle. Packing the right clothing was a challenge (how chilly is it actually going to be and how much rain are we going to get are hard to guess in advance) but I think that in the end we did an okay job of choosing exactly what went into the suitcase. This cruise has be re-considering my wardrobe for our December Med cruise--but I still have plenty of time for planning.

We did take advantage of the laundry service but we never did use the laundry room (I just didn't have the patience to sit there, even though the LR is well appointed with a sofa and TV) but my S-I-L actually used it a couple of times.

Should I bring a bathing suit?? The pool area is covered and thus can be used--and is used -- 365 days a year. The roof was closed for most of our journey and the pool area was a popular venue on sea days for sitting and some swimming (but never crowded--and the lounge chairs with the view, the ones by the window, do fill up quickly). There are three hot tubs on the ship -- one at the covered pool, one by the infinity pool and a couple in the spa (never did check out the spa--LOL never even donned the bathing suit I packed-- but it is open to all passengers, not just those who are having spa treatments. BTW, bathrobes plural in every cabin--so you don't need to bring one and it can double as a pool cover up.