Train from Blankenberge to Bruges

I've heard from many that this is the best way to get from Zeebrugge to Bruges on a budget (after taking the tram from Zeebrugge). Where do I buy tickets? Do they need to be prebooked, or is it best to just do it there? What is the frequency of the trains? Any tips from people who have taken this train before would be greatly appreciated!

You buy your tickets at the train station- no need to prebook. Trains runs hourly (during July & August, trains run every half hour). From my notes last year (prices are from 2015 and may have changed):

How to get to Bruges from Cruise port using tram/train combo:

Tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge (€2 – every 10-15 minutes – takes 10 minutes to reach Blankenberg. You can buy your ticket on the tram but when the tram doors open, make sure that you get on the tram before you worry about payment – sometimes the tram stop is crowded with many passengers from the ship & you don’t want to be left behind.)

Train from Blankenberge to Bruges (buy a r/t train ticket - €3 one way/one train per hour – about 15 minutes to reach Bruges train station from where it is a short walk or bus ride to the square).

Step-by-step:

1) Take the shuttle bus from the ship to the exit of the port. This bus is provided by the port authorities and is free. (It is also possible that your ship will provide a free shuttle to Blankenberg station – if so, no need to take the tram).

2) From the exit of the port, at the T intersection, follow Kustlaan street to the right. After about 500 yards you will reach the church (Kerk) of Zeebrugge. From "Zeebrugge-Kerk, take tram to Blankenberge Station (Direction: De Panne, traveling in the same direction you are walking; coming back to the ship, you want direction: Knokke)

3) From the Bruge train station, you can walk to Brugge Markt/market square (about three quarters of a mile) or you can take the public bus (#12 - Direction: Bargeplein - CENTRUM) at the exit of the train station (€1.20 per person, bus about every 10 minutes, takes 5 minutes to market square. You can buy a bus ticket in the Bruges station at the Lijnwinkel shop).

Timetable for train from Zeebrugge to Bruges: http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx

Edited by dogs4fun

You can look up the timetable and buy tickets on the internet, Print it out and then you can get straight on the train at Blankenberg to Bruges, thereby bypassing the inevitable long queue of people that didn't plan ahead...

Re your question regarding a tram from Zeebruge to Blankenberg, First check your cruise line will offer a free shuttle bus instead?

I've heard from many that this is the best way to get from Zeebrugge to Bruges on a budget (after taking the tram from Zeebrugge). Where do I buy tickets? Do they need to be prebooked, or is it best to just do it there? What is the frequency of the trains? Any tips from people who have taken this train before would be greatly appreciated!

It's all in my book...

18653392876_ef4759f930_z.jpg

...though you can save the dollars and read the blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/15/zeebrugge-for-dummies/

You can look up the timetable and buy tickets on the internet, Print it out and then you can get straight on the train at Blankenberg to Bruges, thereby bypassing the inevitable long queue of people that didn't plan ahead...

Re your question regarding a tram from Zeebruge to Blankenberg, First check your cruise line will offer a free shuttle bus instead?

Good thinking. You'd be surprised at the number who don't.

Hi there canadian Cruiser.

Assuming you get there safely here are a few tips on how to set about Bruges...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/06/15/one-way-to-do-bruges/

If your physically up to it the view from the Belfry...

18679646415_1f24f0963a_z.jpg

...is a must...

18679647295_6c4c191ff1_z.jpg

Bon voyage.