Great time on the Getaway 15-22 May 2016

pdobrynski

Just when you think it can"t get any better .... it does! Had a wonderful cruise on the NCL Getaway; this was the third time on this ship 18th time on NCL and our 73rd cruise overall. We celebrated our anniversary during the cruise and the officers and staff made it an extra special celebration.

When we got on the ship, we took our luggage to our room and went to have lunch at Taste. While we were waiting to be seated we got a big "were have you been?" from Tom the Assistant Hotel Director, who we have had met on the NCL Escape three weeks prior. Tom explained that he and Anil, Food and Beverage Director (who we also met on the Escape) were floaters between the two ships.

After an enjoyable lunch we walked around the ship and spotted Anil in the lobby helping other guests. To our amazement he not only remembered us from the Escape but remembered our names and room number on the ship. He asked if we were celebrating anything special on the cruise and we told him that we were celebrating our anniversary on the last sea day of the cruise.

That evening we went to the Illusionarium for dinner. Before we went to the show we met Mariett, the Hotel Director's secretary who gave us some great seating advice. The show was great and the food was excellent. That evening we met our room steward Vishal, we just called him V. He did an excellent job of taking care of us the entire cruise.

The next day we went to the cruise critic meet and mingle. I recommend that all cruise critic members attend these meetings, not only do you get to meet fellow cruise critic members, but you also get to meet several of the ship's Officers. You also get a card with the Officers name, titles and phone numbers. We have found that if you are having a problem on board the ship the Officers will try their best to correct the issue. Also, please make an effort to speak to the Officers that attend. They have always been very approachable and willing to give you their cards and genuinely want to hear from you while you're on board.

That evening we went to LeBistro and had a great meal. While we were eating dinner Tan, the Restaurant Manager (who we met at the Meet and Mingle) stopped by the table to say hello. My wife asked about the new menu and how she missed the old way the mussel dish was prepared. Tan explained that the menu was being changed fleet wide. Tan offered to make Barbara the mussel dish the old way, just to let him know what restaurant we would be eating in and he would come and prepare it for her. At dinner we met a very nice couple from Canada, Eve and Curt who were on their Honeymoon. Later we introduced them to Ricardo, the Executive Chef and Oneil the Beverage manager (again we had met the two officers at the meet and mingle). Later in the cruise Ricardo took us and the couple from Canada on a personal tour of the Galley.

We ate at Shanghai's a couple of times; the food way great. Get there early, as it fills up fast. We love the Flamingo Grill and the pastry there especially the guava turnovers. When we took the tour of the Galley with Ricardo we made it a point to meet the chief responsible for the pastry at the Flamingo Grill and told him how good the turnovers are. Ricardo told us they were going to replace the Flamingo Grill with Margaritaville. We will really miss the Flamingo Grill. We need to start a write in campaign to save the Flamingo Grill. At least, we need to suggest that NCL finds a new home for these "best pastries on land or sea". Cruisers need to experience lime/cinnamon danish with or without chocolate sauce. OMG!

We ate all of our breakfasts at O'Sheehan's the managers all called us by name and the service was always excellent.

We had signed up for the Dinner with an Officer drawing and were chosen to to have dinner with Carsten the Chief Engineer and Sonia from of HR, along with six other guests. There was another table of twelve that were also dining with Officers. We had an excellent dinner and the two Officers were great hosts.

If you like magic, be sure to see the late evening show the performers from the Illusionarium put on in Fat Cats. It is free and amazing! Get there early to get front row seats. Also be sure to see the Million Dollar Quartet. The show is excellent!

Lastly, let me gush about the surprises for our anniversary. Our cabin was totally decorated with balloons, flowers, swags and two towel swans. Anil treated us to a surprise destination very special dinner and with a fine bottle of wine. The "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" serenade at the table sung by the "International Quartet" (LOL)who were fabulous! and in tune! It was an unforgetable evening! Thank you NCL Getaway team!

So pleased you had a great time, we are on the getaway the 26th june and the day we sail is my 60th birthday, wonder if they will do anything for that, i kn ow our cruise consultant was getting a birthday cake. will just have to wait and see.

So glad you had a memorable anniversary cruise! Did they say when the Flamingo Grill will turn into Margaritaville? We sail the Getaway this Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by daisyh

We are first time cruisers and we know basically know nothing. My cousin turned me on to this website so I have been reading it to get ready for our cruise in September. My question is..... how will we know when the meet and greet is?

We are first time cruisers and we know basically know nothing. My cousin turned me on to this website so I have been reading it to get ready for our cruise in September. My question is..... how will we know when the meet and greet is?

Go to the Roll Call section of these boards and search for your ship/date. Join the roll call and you will be kept up to date about everything that may be happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app