Regal Princess our of Brooklyn port in Oct need hotel help

magicsoccer

We are flying into LGA 2 days early and plan to do the New York City Pass for 2 days. Will probably use the hop on/hop off options. We currently have Comfort Inn Redhook booked for both nights as is is so close to the port. After reading I am now somewhat concerned about its location and ease of getting to the sights and the bus. I would prefer to stay around $200/night. Any suggestions? If we stay here, what would be the easiest way to get to the needed transportation?

We are flying into LGA 2 days early and plan to do the New York City Pass for 2 days. Will probably use the hop on/hop off options. We currently have Comfort Inn Redhook booked for both nights as is is so close to the port. After reading I am now somewhat concerned about its location and ease of getting to the sights and the bus. I would prefer to stay around $200/night. Any suggestions? If we stay here, what would be the easiest way to get to the needed transportation?

What are your exact dates? October is high season for NYC and it could be very difficult to get a hotel for $200/night. You might have some luck on Hotwire or Priceline at the last minute.

Review comments indicate that the subway is a 15 minute walk. Could you identify the major sights you want to see so that the New Yorkers can give you precise suggestions?

I know we want to see the Statue of Liberty, and the 9/11 museum. We will be there Oct 25 and 26. Probably Times Square and really not sure yet what else. Having never been there, I am still reading up on my options. I have the Comfort Inn Redhook for I thing $160/night. I assume we can stay there and get a cab to the nearest subway if needed.

I'd check out the Comfort Inn Sunset Park which is two blocks from the 36th St station with N, R, and D train service. The R train will take you to the World Trade Center(Cortlandt St) and the N and D will take you to midtown. No cabs would be required to access the subway.

From the other hotel I'm sure you can call a call a cab to go to the subway, but being able to just hail a cab coming back could be problematic. Also, the subway lines which service that area require a transfer to get to lower Manhattan. Are you a Uber user?

I know we want to see the Statue of Liberty, and the 9/11 museum. We will be there Oct 25 and 26. Probably Times Square and really not sure yet what else. Having never been there, I am still reading up on my options. I have the Comfort Inn Redhook for I thing $160/night. I assume we can stay there and get a cab to the nearest subway if needed.

Not sure on how easy it would be to get a taxi, get the Uber app on your phone, we used it several times in NYC last weekend, going into and out of Brooklyn

The CI Sunset Park is just off the BQE's 39th Street exit, coming from JFK via Belt Parkway or BQE/Queens if flying into LGA for out-of-towners. The N & R subway train's underground station on 4th Avenue @ 36th Street is a short 3 blocks walk - a busy express/local transfer station and safe during the day & evening rush hour, but can be quiet & empty at the late night hours.

From TripAdv's review, you can see that the rooms are small & no-frills with limited-services. Options other than Uber/ride-sharing services would be to use the local car services to go the Red Hook, pretty sure the drivers know how to get there as it's easy from 3rd or 4th Avenue used by locals as a shortcut to elevated BQE Exp above, visible from the hotel.

Bell and Mega are 2 of the neighborhood car services and where we had contracts with them & ride them all the time with our vouchers in the days ... usually ready to pickup in 5 to 10 minutes, locally - their dispatch base is nearby. Unless things changed recently, N train would be a fast 3 to 4 stops to Lower Manhattan/Chinatown on Canal Street whereas R train would run on local stops via South Ferry & take a bit longer - except for late night/weekend where sometimes, everything is on "local" tracks & stopping at all stations or even getting re-routed due to onging capital maintenance and post-Sandy repairs.

Factor in the extra costs of any taxi/car service fares for returning to these hotels in Brooklyn on top of the hotel costs when comparing - staying in Manhattan, including downtown/Wall Street area on weekends (where rates can be lowered ... sometimes, in the Fall) might be easier for out-of-towners, as you can just ride the subways & surface buses with free transfer, or do the Hop-On & Hop-Off, etc. and walk the rest of the way to various landmarks & popular tourist sites.

Just don't count on CI for a decent breakfast, but the nearest McDonald is like a block away & there's also a KFC, along with local deli's & pizza delivery, etc.

Are you seniors or AAA members? Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn is close to your desired rate. Right by the Union St subway station with the same D, N, R service mentioned for the Comfort Inn Sunset Park and also not far from the cruise terminal. 5 stops to South Ferry and 7 to the World Trade Center on the R train. 8 stops to midtown 42nd and 6th on the D train and 10'stops on the N train to Times Square.

THank you all for the replies. I will have to look into all of these. Coming from a small town where we don't ride the bus or the subway this is almost overwhelming. That is why I am starting the planning early.

Here's a video I found about the Union Street area -

Subway map - http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

The reality is that wherever you stay in New York, you're going to have to travel in some way to get to all the places you want. Subway is often the most cost effective way to do this. For an out of town visitor, staying somewhere where you have a nearby subway station that offers direct service to lower Manhattan as well as direct service to Times Square and Rockefeller Center is a huge plus.

36th Street on 4th Ave in Brooklyn is a good stop subway wise. R for lower Manhattan and N for Midtown or D express to Rockefeller Center.

The Redhook Comfort Inn the walk to the subway is a long one and the bus service is not frequent in Redhook, one of the neighborhood complaints.

Redhook stop would be the Smith and 9th Streets, the platforms are the highest point in the subway system there are escalators to get up there (two) followed by a staircase.

The transfer would be cross platform 3 stops away to get to lower Manhattan and not a issue.

I would stay away from the Redhook location, suggest something near the subway which is not as scary as it is made out to be.

THank you all for the replies. I will have to look into all of these. Coming from a small town where we don't ride the bus or the subway this is almost overwhelming. That is why I am starting the planning early.

Also come from a small town ,and find this all a bit intimidating.

Thank goodness we have nice people on CC to help:D

Learning a lot by reading here.

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Also come from a small town ,and find this all a bit intimidating.

Thank goodness we have nice people on CC to help:D

Learning a lot by reading here.

Reader

That's what this forum is for. Please feel free to ask questions about your particular set of plans. No two situations are the same. There are lots of folks who will give you good advice.

I think that we may do the Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn since it is close to the subway and still close to the cruise port. Can someone tell me some flat rate car services to use to get us from LGA to the hotel and from the hotel to the port? Or let me know if there are better transportation options. Again, thanks so much for the help.

I think that we may do the Holiday Inn Express Brooklyn since it is close to the subway and still close to the cruise port. Can someone tell me some flat rate car services to use to get us from LGA to the hotel and from the hotel to the port? Or let me know if there are better transportation options. Again, thanks so much for the help.

We generally recommend Dial7 or Carmellimo for the airport runs. Local taxi would work for the hotel to the port. One of our posters likes Arecibo for the Brooklyn cruise terminal. Looking at the map it appears they are based only 3-4 blocks from the Holiday Inn.

The advice for the Brooklyn Cruise terminal is to be sure you print out the cruise terminal directions and a local map. This can be particularly helpful if you get a driver who doesn't know the area.