Solstice, Still Magic: Detailed Trip Report

HenGypsy

Celebrity Solstice, 7 Night Sawyer Glacier Cruise

Departing Seattle May 13, 2016

Solstice Keeps Her Magic

We live in the Puget Sound area, so we arrived by taxi to the cruise terminal shortly before 11 am. DH and I each pulled one smallish suitcase and a tote. We try to pack smart and bring everything we need and not much more. We love not having to check bags and not having to wait anxiously for them to show up (or not) in our stateroom. We also love to get on the ship as early as possible (regardless of any recommended arrival time) so that we have the whole day on the ship. The first day can be overwhelming, with travel, check in, unpacking, orienting, muster drill, and so on. So we like to have a lot of time and not feel stressed or rushed. We went directly through a checkpoint, then breezed through security (no line to speak of), and then to a short line to check in. Our line (I think for both Captain’s Club Select and Concierge Class) was about a 5 minute wait. We noticed the line for Aqua Class (perhaps combined with Elite) was significantly longer, but still not very long. They scanned our paper, looked at our passports, took our picture, and issued our keycard passes. Then, we were directed to the ship. It was so fast and easy, surely less than 15 minutes taxi to ship. An excellent start to a magnificent vacation.

We are in our 50s, and have cruised about two dozen times. We’ve been to Alaska several times, and cruised on Celebrity many times. This was our third time on the Solstice, our favorite ship ever.

We slipped past the kind photographers, up the ramp with our bags, and onto the ship, where they greeted us with smiles and champagne, mimosas, and orange juice. We took the elevator up to the buffet, which we knew would not yet be busy, found a nice seat by a window, and tried our best to scoot our bags unobtrusively out of the way. I was so pleased to find the buffet food variety and quality as good as it had been on our last two cruises, after having read some poor reviews. Yes, you do indeed see the pizza and pasta and stir fry and salad every day. But through the week they offer a huge variety of dishes, each day a different meat at the carvery (don’t miss the gravy! Mmm), different soups and stews, specialty salads, a changing selection of cheeses, and many, many specialty items – if you get bored at the buffet, you simply are not paying attention or you have eaten too much! Secret find: there is sometimes hidden salmon in the covered silver server next to the ceasar salad. You will find free ice creams and sorbets (including avocado ice cream!) in the buffet, or you can pay for it at the Gelateria on Deck 5. While we were in the buffet, a man came around to offer specialty dining packages. We did not get the package but asked for and received a discounted reservation at the Silk Harvest that evening.

Cabins were not yet available, and the buffet began to bustle so we released our seats and headed for Café al Bacio with our bags. This is a wonderful coffee shop, the best on any ship we’ve experienced. If you want table service, just sit down (and make sure the menu is standing up). If you want to get it “to go” just walk up to the counter. Even in their busiest times, they seem to rise above the chaos and efficiently get people their drinks. I just loved getting a pot of tea---it’s served on a tray in a real pot with a matching cup and little slice of biscotti. DH’s favorite was the affogato, a shot of espresso poured over vanilla ice cream. We both enjoyed the Iglu drinks, frozen coffee frappes in either chocolate or vanilla. By the way, the treats in the case are complimentary, whether you are ordering coffee or not.

Our room was just above Al Bacio so I snuck up there to check if it might be open yet. It was not, and the passage doors were closed. But the iLounge helpers were there, so I stopped in to learn how to initiate our free internet accounts—really easy. Yes, xcelerate is now onboard and works great. Pretty fast most of the time, for being at sea. There were times when the satellite signal was compromised because of the high mountains, though.

Promptly at 1pm, the rooms were ready. We unpacked and stowed our bags under the bed. I was glad to have brought some sturdy fresh flowers and a squat vase in my tote. I had cut them short so they weren’t tippy, and they added some lovely cheer to our room for at least 3 days. For us, there is plenty of storage space in the closet, the drawers, the over-the-bed shelves, and the bathroom. We don’t like their soap so we bring our own liquid hand soap. Plus I like to bring the eucalyptus and lavender shower tabs that fizz when we shower and make our room smell so good—by auracacia. In our bathroom they provided bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. No more little packets with cotton balls, qtips, and nail file. By the way, many of the towels were new and plush; none were tattered.

Our cabin was 6192, starboard side, balcony, midship. We love this area for several reasons. It’s really easy to run downstairs to al bacio, it’s near the elevator, and the rooms are cheaper since it’s an obstructed balcony. We use the cost savings to splurge in other areas (this time we went BEST, in the go big promotion). Our bed was by the window. The obstruction is the lifeboat, which hangs below the balcony. We really don’t mind it at all and didn’t feel that it interfered with our view or our enjoyment of the balcony.

We did notice that the couch had new upholstery on it, a good sign that aggressive maintenance continues on the Solstice, even with the re-furb on the calendar for October. The bed was also in good shape. We met our cabin stewards Antonio and Bryan who took very good care of us. Every evening the bed was turned down in an artistic style, different each night. No towel animals but we didn’t mind that.

We got drinks and big bottles of water prior to the lifeboat drill (everything shuts down during the mandatory drill). We did not need to wear our life jackets or stand on deck by the boats. Instead, the drill took place inside. We heard they showed a video but we couldn’t see it from our vantage point. Overall, we felt the drill was insufficient given the very real need for safety briefings—we found our lifejackets later but never did take the time to find out which lifeboats were “ours” in the event of an emergency.

We had dinner in the Silk Harvest. Lovely place and service to match. The food ranged from excellent to very good (except for the green curry which had very low quality chicken). I enjoyed tea in a tiny cast iron tea pot.

The opening show featured Brent Nixon, the naturalist. Don’t miss him. Really. He is wonderful and will keep you inspired about your vacation in a very deep way.

Day 2, plus dailies, will be posted within a day or 2. Cheers!

Thank you so much for your review. I will be on the Solstice in July. First time on Celebrity, first time on the Solstice, and first cruise to Alaska. Looking forward to reading more, and to seeing the dailies.

Thank you so much for your review. I will be on the Solstice in July. First time on Celebrity, first time on the Solstice, and first cruise to Alaska. Looking forward to reading more, and to seeing the dailies.

I hope you have a great cruise in July! Enjoy!

Great to read your review so far. Due to board on 24th June so just the right timing. Good to hear the Internet is up to speed. Been on several s class but first time on Solstice so getting excited to see Alaska. How was the weather for the trip? Leaving UK next weekend so packing layers to cover a month of land and sea.

Wow...as I was reading this I thought I wrote it! DH and I got off the Solstice last Friday and with the exception of having eaten in Murano instead of Silk Harvest that could have been us (including ages and living just outside Seattle!). We love the Solstice and our very favorite spot is Cafe al Bacio. Can't wait to read the rest of your review! :)

You are in for a treat! Bon Voyage

HenGypsy, thanks so much... enjoying your review...can't wait till its our turn, last cruise of the season.

Edited by BecciBoo

I grabbed some coffee (DH) and tea (and muffins and donuts) at Bacio, and brought them back to our room to enjoy while getting ready for the day. At the buffet, we discovered Congee! It’s a rice porridge which becomes quite special when you put the condiments on it---fried garlic, fried onions, lemon juice, soy sauce, hot sauce. A new favorite for both of us. We also enjoyed the carved ham, oatmeal, berries, muesli, and more.

Calm seas today on the open Pacific Ocean. Not much to see out any windows but water, for the whole day. We went on the Galley Tour. Lots of people. If I recall correctly, they offered free champagne. They had a Q&A session to fill the time while groups went into the kitchen area one after the other. In response to my question about any upcoming restaurant changes during the October refurbishment, I learned that the Bistro on 5 will be changed to a Sushi restaurant and that the Tuscan Grille will become even more of an Italian restaurant and less a steakhouse. We also learned the ship sources its salmon locally in Alaska—good news. While on the tour, we saw a kitchen worker cutting some mysterious soft colorful cubes (yellow, white, pink); we didn’t think it was cake but it was clearly a confection; I wished I could try some but alas no samples. We enjoyed the Galley tour. Afterward there was a “culinary showcase” in the main foyer area—very crowded. Here there were food samples on offer, but not worth navigating the crowds.

We confirmed our OBC at the main desk and it was all in order. You can check your account on your TV—quite helpful. Our photos never showed up on the TV, perhaps because we bypassed that first photo-op during boarding where we noticed they were asking for keycards?

We also previewed the dinner menu and decided to skip it that night. In fact, we never once made it to the MDR. We were so happy with the variety in the buffet and the specialty restaurants that we never even wanted to go the MDR. The last 2 times on Solstice, we rarely missed a dinner there; we had enjoyed the MDR, but the meals took a long time and the food wasn’t super great most of the time. This time, we really felt a freedom to just spend time on our own terms.

A little reading, a run to the dry cedar sauna (free and open to everyone; it’s in the spa; men’s and women’s are separate), and some lunch in the buffet. And here I am happy to discover those colorful cubes I saw earlier in the galley---they are house-made marshmallows to run under the chocolate fondue fountain, and they are Delicious. The Mast Grill was closed due to inclement weather. It didn’t look inclement to us—just cool and overcast.

After lunch, it’s time to go to the Captain’s Club event in the Sky Lounge. Just wonderful. The captain and officers were present and ready to chat. Waiters bring a range of fancy free drinks around and offer trays of fine orderves to choose from. DH went for the suds, and I became good friends with a couple of apple martinis, the most beautiful shade of green floating a little piece of apple. A second round was placed on our table without even asking, and a third would have been easily obtained had we been inclined. They had an unobtrusive musician playing, plus a few intros and announcements. A low-key, lovely event in a sophisticated setting. Handshaking is discouraged; fine by us.

Another Select captain’s club benefit was a coupon sheet (photo to come) for each person. The only coupon we used was for pressing of 2 free items each. The items come back the next day if you get them in the bag early enough. The first bag came back nicely pressed. The second bag came back in pretty poor shape—the items still very wrinkled; I was surprised and tempted to send it back again but opted not to fuss.

Already happily exhausted, we napped, as we did every day on the cruise. Poor room stewards. Our bed was always a mess.

Formal night. I mean, evening chic. We wore the same sort of formal things we always do and didn’t notice too much difference in the general attire. People mostly dressed up and a few chose not to.

I really enjoyed the show Broken Strings. It was quite different from the typical production show; quite modern. Good talent. A big improvement from the entertainment in last two years on Solstice. Turned our clocks back one hour this evening. I imagine people from the East Coast are really feeling the time difference!

Great to read your review so far. Due to board on 24th June so just the right timing. Good to hear the Internet is up to speed. Been on several s class but first time on Solstice so getting excited to see Alaska. How was the weather for the trip? Leaving UK next weekend so packing layers to cover a month of land and sea.

Our weather was mild, upper 50s to 60s, with a lots of overcast, a little rain, and a little sun. Weather is variable and unpredictable in Alaska. But at this time of year, it is rarely very cold in this region. No parkas required.

Did you go to the Elite happy Hour ? Were there many people there ?

No, we are Select, not Elite. But we enjoyed the Captains Club events, which were well attended, even with all those drink packages!

Wow...as I was reading this I thought I wrote it! DH and I got off the Solstice last Friday and with the exception of having eaten in Murano instead of Silk Harvest that could have been us (including ages and living just outside Seattle!). We love the Solstice and our very favorite spot is Cafe al Bacio. Can't wait to read the rest of your review! :)

Well, hello, neighbor! Too bad we didn't cross paths. Cheers!

Just home from 2 weeks on Solstice today...a couple of items that differed for us....Buffet, tried it twice for lunch in port when MDR was closed, nothing seasoned at all, very bland, reminded us why we avoid it....through 4 Evening Chic nights we only saw, MAYBE 10 tuxes.....probably 200 suites and the vast majority in various forms of slacks with collared shirts.

Day 3, Ketchikan

Up early and watched the ship pull in to Ketchikan as a golden eagle (yes, a golden eagle, one of the largest birds in North America) swooped over the ship. We’ve been here several times, both on cruises and for work. We took our time walking off the ship, first enjoying leisurely coffee in al Baccio and breakfast buffet. We simply walked around enjoying our favorite spots in town: a couple native art galleries, Creek Street, smoked salmon shops (samples!) where we stocked up even though we can get it cheaper at home, and upstairs at Tongass where they have outfitting supplies. We recommend a tour of Dolly’s house on Creek Street—fun, revealing, and inexpensive. Also a ride up the funicular from Creek Street and a walk on the trail along the creek (turn the opposite direction from the shops). Saw only a few bald eagles; they usually flock around like seagulls in Ketchikan. Normally it Rains like crazy here but we had just a mild drizzle or two.

Back to ship for lunch at Mast Grill. Excellent burgers (don’t forget to ask for the grilled onions if you’re so inclined; they are sort of hidden) and you can see their entire collection of cold beers on ice here instead of asking what they have. Note: Each one of the specialty restaurants was open once during the cruise for lunch for a fee.

We enjoy being on the ship when it’s in port. Coffee, quiet time in the library and solarium. We saw that apparently no one showed up for the crepe making event in the foyer. Later, it was cold, maybe upper 50’s, and not well attended, but us intrepid travelers were determined to enjoy the Sailaway on the Lawn with wine and cheese. It’s a lovely event. Grab a cushion and blanket, a fine selection of delicious cheeses, and perhaps a glass of wine (wine covered on the bev packages or at cost) and spread out picnic-style on the lawn; I went back for a second serving of cheese and crackers. The two-person band Ryan and Chelsea is wonderful—they were cold, too, but performed their lovely music for us with good cheer.

We were notified that chances for whale sightings were good that evening as we went through Snow Pass. I think there were no sightings there after all, but it is a beautiful area and made for some prime balcony time as twilight approached. We had already seen several whales on this trip, some porpoise, and other finned things. Remember to bring binoculars!

That evening, we decided to go to the show, Sean O’Shea. Normally we don’t care much for impressionists but this guy was wonderful. Very funny, clever, and quite talented. We enjoyed it thoroughly (of course, that drink package may have sweetened the show a bit, hee-hee). I normally Love to watch the nighttime shows in the foyer, but this night was too sleepy to stay up for the Live@Sky event. These foyer shows are usually Excellent. Sorry to have missed it. But anyway, tomorrow is THE morning to wake up early for sure---cruising Tracy Arm.

Your photos are quite small, cannot read anything. If you would look into a website, Tinypic dot com you can use it to size your photos I choose "message board" size, then copy/paste the code for IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards and it will come up here a lot larger.

Can't wait to see your photos of Tracy Arm.

Did you hear about the Ketchikan Infinity accident...in which she managed to do $2million worth of damage to the pier??? Happened yesterday afternoon.

Edited by BecciBoo

Oh I'd so love to be able to read those dailies but they're oh so small. Maybe the poster with the instructions on how to make them bigger is on to something. I sure hope that works if you're so inclined to redo them. We'd all appreciate it! Thanks!