(Dry) Cleaning

GUT2407

On most lines take my suit/tux with us and send it for cleaning when we board, then have it back for formal night ready to go.

Will this work on Cunard.

I guess what I need to know is turn around time on cleaning and cost.

Thank you all.

It's worth noting that "dry cleaning" on the ship is not the same as ashore. It's water based as opposed to solvents. There have been report of damage to some fabrics.

David.

Cunard use what they call Green Dry Cleaning which really means that a Washing Machine process is used, If you have any Natural fibres clothing DONT USE IT, On the Q.E. I saw a Gentleman's Dinner Suit that had been ruined by this Process. It was made of Cashmere but had a Nylon type lining the Suit had Shrunk But the Lining had not, Result Lining 2 inches up on the outside at the Cuffs

Cunard use what they call Green Dry Cleaning which really means that a Washing Machine process is used, If you have any Natural fibres clothing DONT USE IT, On the Q.E. I saw a Gentleman's Dinner Suit that had been ruined by this Process. It was made of Cashmere but had a Nylon type lining the Suit had Shrunk But the Lining had not, Result Lining 2 inches up on the outside at the Cuffs

Thank you, sounds like a press may be the go.

It's worth noting that "dry cleaning" on the ship is not the same as ashore. It's water based as opposed to solvents. There have been report of damage to some fabrics.

David.

Yes, quite a change from the days not so long ago when QM2 did a fantastic job of dry cleaning formal attire. Now I wouldn't dream of packing fine garments if they needed to be dry cleaned on board - I certainly can't wash them, and to press garments that haven't been cleaned is a certain way to seal in stains (and I would think it rather unsanitary if pressing becomes the priority rather than cleaning)

I would have thought that it was in Cunard's best interest to make dry cleaning of formal attire an excellent experience for passengers - after all, the formality of Cunard is a great marketing tool and it costs Cunard nothing encourage passengers to adhere to the dress code.

Forgive the thread drift please, but while we're discussing dry cleaning, I just noticed this on Voyage Personalizer:

"Top Tip

•Each ship has a number of complimentary washing machines, dryers and irons at your disposal. Washing tablets can be purchased on board."

Any further info about the purchase of washing tablets - it's news to me. Thanks, -S.

Yes, quite a change from the days not so long ago when QM2 did a fantastic job of dry cleaning formal attire. Now I wouldn't dream of packing fine garments if they needed to be dry cleaned on board - I certainly can't wash them, and to press garments that haven't been cleaned is a certain way to seal in stains (and I would think it rather unsanitary if pressing becomes the priority rather than cleaning)

I would have thought that it was in Cunard's best interest to make dry cleaning of formal attire an excellent experience for passengers - after all, the formality of Cunard is a great marketing tool and it costs Cunard nothing encourage passengers to adhere to the dress code.

Forgive the thread drift please, but while we're discussing dry cleaning, I just noticed this on Voyage Personalizer:

"Top Tip

•Each ship has a number of complimentary washing machines, dryers and irons at your disposal. Washing tablets can be purchased on board."

Any further info about the purchase of washing tablets - it's news to me. Thanks, -S.

I'd have it cleaned before we left, I had been told QM didn't have self serve irons etc. thank you.

"Top Tip

Can any recent pax on QM2 confirm whether laundry packets or pods are still free and available in the laundrettes, or must these pods now be purchased?

Thanks. On QM2 TA in October.

I'd have it cleaned before we left, I had been told QM didn't have self serve irons etc. thank you.

Dh finds that his dinner suit is fine once it's had a day or so hanging in the wardrobe. Any packing creases come out by themselves. Hanging it for a while in a steamy bathroom can also help.

Just want to add that Cunard does a superb job cleaning and pressing dress shirts and other regular laundry, and for far less than what's charged at my local cleaners.

I agree here...i've had dress shirts ,formal jackets, suits etc etc cleaned with no problems and of course the laundry has to do all the officers and crews uniforms etc...Any laundry anywhere never guarantees against damage caused ,as there are so many different types of materials these days...( i always take 2 formal jackets just in case)