Recent Sun cruisers-Sewage odors-your experience

4774Papa

We were on the Sun on June 13 to 20 to Alaska. Our rooms were 6207 and 6208. The sewage smell was bad - - bad enough that my brother had to sleep with tissues shoved up his nose during the night. The odor got progressively worse during the trip and by the end of the trip, I was pissed! I went to guest services, they indicated that "maybe" they could move us, but I opted not to do so because in our party of 7 were two older women who had difficulty getting around. Making them pack up their stuff when we had a day and a half left seemed to be an unnecessary burden on them.

Norwegian did send a staff member with a bottle of strong spray to mask the odor, but it had little lasting effect.

Since we have been home, I have been in touch with guest relations. They have made an offer to give each of us essentially $200 apiece off the cost of our next cruise, but frankly, this isn't acceptable to me. This was our first time on Norwegian, and I wouldn't sail them again, even with a credit which essentially covers only a small portion of the cost of the cruise. I think we should be offered a refund, not a credit, otherwise, they have no incentive to fix this problem. I have been on several cruises and although you occasionally get a whiff of sewage, THIS experience was NOTHING like that. It's gross.

So far, NCL only wants to communicate by email, but I'm going to step up my efforts by calling to speak to a supervisor on Monday.

Don't know what to recommend on your cruise - its a tough call and really unnecessary for you as a consumer - - NCL knows about the problem...they just aren't doing anything about it.

We were on the Sun on June 13 to 20 to Alaska. Our rooms were 6207 and 6208. The sewage smell was bad - - bad enough that my brother had to sleep with tissues shoved up his nose during the night. The odor got progressively worse during the trip and by the end of the trip, I was pissed! I went to guest services, they indicated that "maybe" they could move us, but I opted not to do so because in our party of 7 were two older women who had difficulty getting around. Making them pack up their stuff when we had a day and a half left seemed to be an unnecessary burden on them.

Norwegian did send a staff member with a bottle of strong spray to mask the odor, but it had little lasting effect.

Since we have been home, I have been in touch with guest relations. They have made an offer to give each of us essentially $200 apiece off the cost of our next cruise, but frankly, this isn't acceptable to me. This was our first time on Norwegian, and I wouldn't sail them again, even with a credit which essentially covers only a small portion of the cost of the cruise. I think we should be offered a refund, not a credit, otherwise, they have no incentive to fix this problem. I have been on several cruises and although you occasionally get a whiff of sewage, THIS experience was NOTHING like that. It's gross.

So far, NCL only wants to communicate by email, but I'm going to step up my efforts by calling to speak to a supervisor on Monday.

Don't know what to recommend on your cruise - its a tough call and really unnecessary for you as a consumer - - NCL knows about the problem...they just aren't doing anything about it.

I am sailing in 6208 on the Sept 5 cruise to Seward. Since everybody was complaining about the odor in the aft part of the ship I thought I was safe. I'm wondering if the floor drains in the cabin needed to have the traps refilled? I'm hoping that is the case. Other than the odor, how was the cabin? I'm more worried about noise coming from the promenade outside. Also is the bed directly under the window or could you stand and look out the window?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

I am sailing in 6208 on the Sept 5 cruise to Seward. Since everybody was complaining about the odor in the aft part of the ship I thought I was safe. I'm wondering if the floor drains in the cabin needed to have the traps refilled? I'm hoping that is the case. Other than the odor, how was the cabin? I'm more worried about noise coming from the promenade outside. Also is the bed directly under the window or could you stand and look out the window?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

This photo is of 6208 with couch made into bed

9cc7421a-471e-4190-8403-321a6d0a2f88_zpsirm9bxmd.jpg

This photo is of 6210 showing couch as couch and bed as twins

17e319a8-331f-4f4a-91f3-cc875222c555_zpsotrxooj2.jpg

This photo shows your type of view when standing by the window looking out

e4c18201-c136-4168-89b2-cf6f14a94bcd_zpsgfhuayzk.jpg

We didn't stay in one of these staterooms but would have no problem doing so if we weren't in a balcony category.

I'm in a guarantee inside because insides were the only category left when I booked on my September 5th cruise. I'm also guarantee balcony on the August 29th cruise. My cabins still haven't been assigned. My guess is my cabin could be 6207 (the cabin that no one else wants). I'm guessing my balcony will be aft too, but at least it won't be on deck 6. I can only hope not! :confused:

Ok -- I'm currently on the Sun - aft mini suite 0067, on 10th floor. The afternoon leaving Vancouver (on Aug 8) was warm and sunny and while in port on balcony there was a slight odor. Yes, it was noticeable but it was in no way worth changing cabins or even bringing it to anyone's attention. Without my prior knowledge of the problem and hence my "fear", I probably would have thought it was just someone farted -- haha! It didn't last and wasn't that bad but yes, it was noticeable. Once we left Vancouver, I smelled it briefly in the stairway around floor 6 or 7 but not even enough to make me think of re-routing to avoid the area.

I'm currently aboard -- waiting to get off in Ketchikan and am happy to research anything about the ship. I have grand plans of submitting a trip report -- IF I can figure out how! [emoji16][emoji16]

Ok -- I'm currently on the Sun - aft mini suite 0067, on 10th floor. The afternoon leaving Vancouver (on Aug 8) was warm and sunny and while in port on balcony there was a slight odor. Yes, it was noticeable but it was in no way worth changing cabins or even bringing it to anyone's attention. Without my prior knowledge of the problem and hence my "fear", I probably would have thought it was just someone farted -- haha! It didn't last and wasn't that bad but yes, it was noticeable. Once we left Vancouver, I smelled it briefly in the stairway around floor 6 or 7 but not even enough to make me think of re-routing to avoid the area.

I'm currently aboard -- waiting to get off in Ketchikan and am happy to research anything about the ship. I have grand plans of submitting a trip report -- IF I can figure out how! [emoji16][emoji16]

Hi, great to see a first-hand and recent report on its way! Keep it up! Please keep an eye open at the Ports of Call to see if they are operating a 'corkage desk' for returning passengers.

I hope you can give us a detailed report upon your return, but before the end of next week because we're on the next Northbound sailing! :)

Have a great trip.

AMF

Glad to hear the smell isn't too nasty. :)

There's been recent comments that the prices of certain martini's, like chocolate martini's or espresso martini's, have gone up in price and are now more than the $15 limit per drink imposed with the UBP pricing structure - are you able to report on that, or even better, can you take a current picture of the bar menu's showing the prices of various martinis?

Thanks for any updates you can make - we'll be on board her for two weeks commencing Sept 5th, and your trip updates make it even more exciting for me!! :):D

Celine

Thanks for the update. You have a great room. Did they replace the furniture at all like the stuff on the left side of the bed? Isn't the make-up/closest room nice?

Have a great rest of your trip.

My family recently returned from our southbound Alaska cruise 8/1 to 8/8. We had no odor issues on the 9th floor (9069 and 9141). We used the aft staircase and common rooms most of the time and did not have any trouble. After reading this thread I was "sniffing" for it, but was truly a non-issue.

We are 2 ports and 3'ish days into the cruise portion of our vacation and I am just blown away by our experience and Alaska -- just love it. I did rely on this site (+ Trip Advisor) for so much, I really want to "give back" with my experiences & 2-cents worth... I really need to figure out how to do a trip report. If there are easy directions anywhere, I haven't found it - specifically how to post pictures and where to post.

Hi, great to see a first-hand and recent report on its way! Keep it up! Please keep an eye open at the Ports of Call to see if they are operating a 'corkage desk' for returning passengers.

I hope you can give us a detailed report upon your return, but before the end of next week because we're on the next Northbound sailing! :)

Have a great trip.

AMF

Ok -- after Ketchikan and Juneau, in both cases there was NO corkage table coming back from the ports. They were totally holding items (most of what I saw were the Ulu knives) but even on that table I saw zero wine and saw nowhere you would pay the corkage fee to keep your wine. Keep in mind this was a high-level visual, I didn't try to bring my own wine on at either port.

Glad to hear the smell isn't too nasty. :)

There's been recent comments that the prices of certain martini's, like chocolate martini's or espresso martini's, have gone up in price and are now more than the $15 limit per drink imposed with the UBP pricing structure - are you able to report on that, or even better, can you take a current picture of the bar menu's showing the prices of various martinis?

Thanks for any updates you can make - we'll be on board her for two weeks commencing Sept 5th, and your trip updates make it even more exciting for me!! :):D

Celine

We have not had any over-the-top speciality martinis - and I'm not even calling a chocolate martini "over the top"...I think there is a martini bar that I'll search out for you. I took these pictures of the drink menu from the Sports Bar.

ImageUploadedByForums1470979960.639240.jpg.4a32874dad70ba24feb5f16e2734d5d7.jpg.

ImageUploadedByForums1470979915.305186.jpg.e770ac347f2e7b6d6297c0e791a3254f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1470979931.870173.jpg.6045881abbc1b73ea3da4bf54a8dd31b.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1470979942.720698.jpg.24fdbf2ac1c9a883e204049350e1bf08.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1470979952.338378.jpg.0f39d1cc27c8b87230c69fcb57d02c65.jpg

We are 2 ports and 3'ish days into the cruise portion of our vacation and I am just blown away by our experience and Alaska -- just love it. I did rely on this site (+ Trip Advisor) for so much, I really want to "give back" with my experiences & 2-cents worth... I really need to figure out how to do a trip report. If there are easy directions anywhere, I haven't found it - specifically how to post pictures and where to post.

There are sites (I use Photobucket) where you can upload your photos, and then you get a code you can copy into the body of your post to link to those photos. Glad you're having such a great time; I'm really looking forward to my Alaskan cruise next summer!

We have not had any over-the-top speciality martinis - and I'm not even calling a chocolate martini "over the top"...I think there is a martini bar that I'll search out for you. I took these pictures of the drink menu from the Sports Bar.

Ok, asked and answered --- I ordered a chocolate martini (delish, btw). Here is the scoop: it's $17.95. It was made and served without telling me in advance it was a $3.50++ (taxes, gratuities) up-charge to the UBP. I didn't question it at all because I didn't care -- but I do think it would be nice if there was a system in place where they voluntarily tell you that your order will be an additional charge.

(& btw - this was a bar tender that we had been hanging with for hours. He was well aware we all had the beverage package so it didn't shock him when a drink didn't qualify)

ImageUploadedByForums1470988036.975575.jpg.4948f2b80acdbbd1ae88de91fcc554d8.jpg

Ok -- after Ketchikan and Juneau, in both cases there was NO corkage table coming back from the ports. They were totally holding items (most of what I saw were the Ulu knives) but even on that table I saw zero wine and saw nowhere you would pay the corkage fee to keep your wine. Keep in mind this was a high-level visual, I didn't try to bring my own wine on at either port.

Thanks for the in-cruise intel. Very useful. We can plan accordingly in advance. The reason I asked was that, though it seems the Sun is abiding by official policy, there have been exceptions mentioned elsewhere.

My family recently returned from our southbound Alaska cruise 8/1 to 8/8. We had no odor issues on the 9th floor (9069 and 9141). We used the aft staircase and common rooms most of the time and did not have any trouble. After reading this thread I was "sniffing" for it, but was truly a non-issue.

I won't bother packing the nose plugs then! :)

Things are looking up -- I've read that the ship has been sailing out to the Alaska Gulf on the southbound itinerary to dump their waste -- apparently they did something to the waste system during dry dock and need to build up the "good" bacteria to get it to work properly again.

Edited by OhJinkies

We were aboard the July 18 cruise on the Sun. I am able to say we did not find any of the problems we saw listed before the trip. We were 10th floor mid ship balcony and it was lovely up there No smells, no water damage and everything seems well updated.

I know nothing about the specialty bars. We are only wine and beer drinkers and honestly were to tired at night after the shore excursions to enjoy the night life.

Things are looking up -- I've read that the ship has been sailing out to the Alaska Gulf on the southbound itinerary to dump their waste -- apparently they did something to the waste system during dry dock and need to build up the "good" bacteria to get it to work properly again.

I don't think that's actually what's happened here. Their waste water treatment plant would only take a few days to develop sufficient bacteria to process waste properly, even if totally dismantled in the shipyard. You actually just add several 50 lb. bags of sugar to the waste water when you start up again. I believe that what may be happening is that the Sun has finally stopped using the system where the dried solids left over from the waste water treatment plant (paper fibers, not human waste) was being incinerated. We installed the same system on the Sky back when she was the Aloha, and had similar problems with smells. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, and if they are dumping this solid waste, then they have stopped burning it. There really isn't a requirement prohibiting the pumping of this treated waste outside of 3 miles from shore, but perhaps they have made an agreement with Alaska to go further offshore to pump it.

If the waste water treatment plant were not processing up to standards, there is no way the ship could operate, since it processes between 800-1000 metric tons of waste water every day, and there isn't enough tank capacity to hold untreated waste water for more than a day or so.

The treated waste incineration system added to the Sun and Sky were retrofits to the existing incinerators, and never worked very well. They may have installed new incinerators, and be working on getting these up and running, but I think the treated waste incineration may be a dead issue, at least for these older ships.

I don't think that's actually what's happened here. Their waste water treatment plant would only take a few days to develop sufficient bacteria to process waste properly, even if totally dismantled in the shipyard. You actually just add several 50 lb. bags of sugar to the waste water when you start up again. I believe that what may be happening is that the Sun has finally stopped using the system where the dried solids left over from the waste water treatment plant (paper fibers, not human waste) was being incinerated. We installed the same system on the Sky back when she was the Aloha, and had similar problems with smells. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, and if they are dumping this solid waste, then they have stopped burning it. There really isn't a requirement prohibiting the pumping of this treated waste outside of 3 miles from shore, but perhaps they have made an agreement with Alaska to go further offshore to pump it.

If the waste water treatment plant were not processing up to standards, there is no way the ship could operate, since it processes between 800-1000 metric tons of waste water every day, and there isn't enough tank capacity to hold untreated waste water for more than a day or so.

The treated waste incineration system added to the Sun and Sky were retrofits to the existing incinerators, and never worked very well. They may have installed new incinerators, and be working on getting these up and running, but I think the treated waste incineration may be a dead issue, at least for these older ships.

I'm getting my information from a couple of recent trip reports -- for the southbound itinerary, they cancelled Skagway and sailed out to Sitka instead in order to dump the sewage in the Gulf of Alaska. This was temporary until they got the system stabilized. That's all I know.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd add/ I'm on the 29th August Southbound tour. We just got notification (4 days notice) surprise, surprise- not, that our itinerary has been changed. Icy Point for Juneau and no Sawyer Glacier so they can dump the sewerage further out to sea. It's great that Cruise Critic and the private vendors have already informed us all this would be happening as the NCL office has been telling cruisers there would be no change to the itinerary!

Edited by karoo

Okay, did a little research, since I'm not that familiar with the inside passage. I am still convinced the smell problem came from the operation of the incinerator to burn the ground up food waste and treated solids from the waste water plant. Since they obviously haven't been able to fix the smell issues over the last 8 years, they have abandoned it, and are going back to the traditional pumping out of this waste to sea.

What has changed is that in 2013, ships became subject to the strictures of the Clean Water Act, under the NPDES (National Pollution Discharge Elimination System), and therefore things like discharge of ground food waste and treated solids from the waste water system can no longer be discharged within 3 miles of shore. In the Inside Passage, there are a very few so-called "doughnut holes" which are small areas that are more than 3 miles from any shore or island. Therefore, the pumping of this waste is no longer allowed during the Inside Passage, so a ship that cannot incinerate its waste must go outside.

The advanced waste water treatment plant on the Sun, meets the strict Alaskan discharge limits (actually stricter than nearly every municipality or business in Alaska) and is one of the systems certified to discharge treated waste water when docked. Since its been months since the Sun's drydock, and they are still rerouting the ship, there is no way this is due to "building up good bacteria".

The Sun's sister ship, the Sky, when it was the Pride of Aloha in Hawaii, had several tanks modified to hold treated waste water because the ship spent two overnights in port. The Maui overnight was the longer of the two, and by the end of the stay, the ship was bursting with retained waste water, and we had to get out to start pumping out. I don't believe the Sun has been modified this way, and even if she had been, the Inside Passage portion of the cruise is over 4 days long, and she would not be able to hold the waste water. This isn't about the treated waste water, it is about the food waste and the treated solids left over by the waste water treatment.