Recent Sun cruisers-Sewage odors-your experience

4774Papa

The problem with this theory is that it assumes that the entire ventilation system is common, and therefore sewer smells from some sort of equipment or tankage could "escape" into the ducting that forms the A/C system, or from its own ducting into the public spaces. Very, very far from the case, even for "older" ships. All ventilation of mechanical spaces (even those "white areas" on the deck plans on decks of cabins), galleys, and other "work" areas must, by law, be completely separate from the A/C system in passenger cabins, public spaces, and crew quarters. They are not even allowed to run the ducts through passenger areas.

It's fine with me however you want to book your cruise, but I can't let nonsense "explanations" go without rebuttal. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a crewmember incorrectly explaining ship's operation to a guest, even when I'm standing a few feet away, I'd rival Trump. 95% of the crew have no idea how the ship works.

I love reading your posts. Thank you for sharing your informed insight.

The problem with this theory is that it assumes that the entire ventilation system is common, and therefore sewer smells from some sort of equipment or tankage could "escape" into the ducting that forms the A/C system, or from its own ducting into the public spaces. Very, very far from the case, even for "older" ships. All ventilation of mechanical spaces (even those "white areas" on the deck plans on decks of cabins), galleys, and other "work" areas must, by law, be completely separate from the A/C system in passenger cabins, public spaces, and crew quarters. They are not even allowed to run the ducts through passenger areas.

It's fine with me however you want to book your cruise, but I can't let nonsense "explanations" go without rebuttal. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a crewmember incorrectly explaining ship's operation to a guest, even when I'm standing a few feet away, I'd rival Trump. 95% of the crew have no idea how the ship works.

Let's keep politics out of the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from vacation and stumbled on this thread, I booked an aft cabin on the Sun for next summer so am following this thread closely. I have plenty of time to switch cabins but I really want to keep my aft cabin! Hope recent cruisers can update us future cruisers reference this issue, thanks in advance!

I was getting a little nervous reading all thee posts about the sewage smell and decided to google it to see what else I could find. It seems that this is a very common issue on a lot of the cruise lines and not just the Sun. I am keeping my aft facing balcony for next year and am going to enjoy every minute of it! For as many not so good posts about this there are even more positive comments on other threads. Nothing is perfect and who is to say it would be better on another ship! Just my thoughts! :-)

I was getting a little nervous reading all thee posts about the sewage smell and decided to google it to see what else I could find. It seems that this is a very common issue on a lot of the cruise lines and not just the Sun. I am keeping my aft facing balcony for next year and am going to enjoy every minute of it! For as many not so good posts about this there are even more positive comments on other threads. Nothing is perfect and who is to say it would be better on another ship! Just my thoughts! :-)

Which deck are you on?

I've booked aft balcony 9277 for next June (just under a year from now) and as a solo cruiser, I am paying DEARLY for it. I actually called and booked it the first day it went on the market.

For just once, I wanted to enjoy an aft balcony and Alaska seemed the perfect place to do it. Now I'm reading in so many places that the smell of sewage and decay is pervasive in this area.

I'm going to reach out to Guest Services (and copy my PCC) to see if I can get any sort of commitment that they're working on resolving this issue. I still have time to move to a different stateroom, I guess, but really had my heart set on this one. :(

For what it's worth: I was on the Sun for the 6/6 to 6/13 SB cruise. I only noticed a very slight odor on a few occasions while on the aft staircase. I never smelled it in the Seven Seas dining room or Stardust Theater. My cabin was forward so I can't comment on the aft cabins.

I think that everyone who has smelled the stench agrees that it is worst on the aft staircases and outside on the promenade at the aft. Almost nobody has complained of any problem in the theater or dining rooms. However there are a number who have had problems in aft staterooms.

People need to be away that it is ongoing and should be prepared to bring it to the notice of Customer Services on-board at every occasion.

the aft staircases and outside on the promenade at the aft.

I'll apologize right from the start, I tried and tried to ignore it, but its one of those things that sets my teeth on edge. Your first use of "aft" in "the aft staircases" is correct, as "aft" is an adverb or adjective, describing a relative position. However, there is no such place as "the promenade at the aft, using it as a noun. Properly it would be "the promenade at the stern".

Again, just my OCD.

Edited by chengkp75

I'll apologize right from the start, I tried and tried to ignore it, but its one of those things that sets my teeth on edge. Your first use of "aft" in "the aft staircases" is correct, as "aft" is an adverb or adjective, describing a relative position. However, there is no such place as "the promenade at the aft, using it as a noun. Properly it would be "the promenade at the stern".

Again, just my OCD.

Actually it wasn't at the stern when we had to endure it. It was outside, just aft of the exterior doors to the side of the aft staircases.

Our travel group has 2 aft suites booked for SA in 2017. All the complaints about the bad smells in Aft really got me concerned. I ready every thread I could locate and came to the conclusion that this was a real problem affecting a large section and not just someone with little tolerance complaining about the occasional sewage smell that happens on all cruises. I called NCL Customer service today and inquired about the odor complaints. The person to whom I spoke denied any knowledge. She told me I could inquire via email to customer service and someone would respond in the next 5-10 days. Next, I called the Concierge Desk and the person who answered denied any knowledge of the issue. She did put me on hold while she spoke to her supervisor. Finally, I was told that there had been isolated complaints, that the issue is the water system and that NCL is working on it. She assured me it would all be fixed soon. Somehow, I am skeptical that the problem will be resolved in short order after reading multiple complaints about the odor issue that have persisted for quite awhile. I think NCL is well aware and is attempting to fix it but are simultaneously not willing to cancel cruises and lose revenue (JMO). Apparently, their plan is to keep working on it while letting their Aft guests continue to cruise and suffer the stench. No matter what type of cabin you booked, it would be so disappointing to have your cruise negatively affected by stinky smells. It's a crap shoot on whether to cancel or take a chance the problem will be resolved. We are still thinking it over and may switch to a different cruise line as we have really looked forward to SA.

I've booked aft balcony 9277 for next June (just under a year from now) and as a solo cruiser, I am paying DEARLY for it. I actually called and booked it the first day it went on the market.

For just once, I wanted to enjoy an aft balcony and Alaska seemed the perfect place to do it. Now I'm reading in so many places that the smell of sewage and decay is pervasive in this area.

I'm going to reach out to Guest Services (and copy my PCC) to see if I can get any sort of commitment that they're working on resolving this issue. I still have time to move to a different stateroom, I guess, but really had my heart set on this one. :(

We are in 9277 on the Northbound Alaska, 5 Sept.

I am going to stick with the booking, but if the sewage odor is still there, NCL is going to hear about it big time.

I can tell you after disembarking this morning that the odor is there. It was sporadic, and varying in intensity. In the cabin, I only noticed in the toilet area of our aft mini.

It was most prevalent from the stairs aft, but also noticed it approximately midship on a couple of occasions. It didn't detract from our experience, but it surely made us hurry through the area.

We had wonderfully gorgeous weather for 5 of the 7 days. I spent a great deal of time on the balcony, and only smelled the foul odor briefly, and faintly this morning just prior to disembarking.

I'm beginning to suspect that the odor on the Sun is similar to what you'll get at outhouses and port-a-lets; it's worse in warmer weather. That would explain why some cruises (like SA) have more people reporting the problems and why those of us on the May 30th sailing, which was never really hot, reported that the odor wasn't a problem.

Our travel group has 2 aft suites booked for SA in 2017. All the complaints about the bad smells in Aft really got me concerned. I ready every thread I could locate and came to the conclusion that this was a real problem affecting a large section and not just someone with little tolerance complaining about the occasional sewage smell that happens on all cruises. I called NCL Customer service today and inquired about the odor complaints. The person to whom I spoke denied any knowledge. She told me I could inquire via email to customer service and someone would respond in the next 5-10 days. Next, I called the Concierge Desk and the person who answered denied any knowledge of the issue. She did put me on hold while she spoke to her supervisor. Finally, I was told that there had been isolated complaints, that the issue is the water system and that NCL is working on it. She assured me it would all be fixed soon. Somehow, I am skeptical that the problem will be resolved in short order after reading multiple complaints about the odor issue that have persisted for quite awhile. I think NCL is well aware and is attempting to fix it but are simultaneously not willing to cancel cruises and lose revenue (JMO). Apparently, their plan is to keep working on it while letting their Aft guests continue to cruise and suffer the stench. No matter what type of cabin you booked, it would be so disappointing to have your cruise negatively affected by stinky smells. It's a crap shoot on whether to cancel or take a chance the problem will be resolved. We are still thinking it over and may switch to a different cruise line as we have really looked forward to SA.

Let's see --- Smelled it the first day of our trip back in 2010 --- 6 years at least now. It was only one day of 12 though but we were off the ship many days due to port intensive trip.

Other intermittent problem is soot on aft balconies. Again, not every day, but does happen on Sun.

Edited by dexddd

We are in 9277 on the Northbound Alaska, 5 Sept.

I am going to stick with the booking, but if the sewage odor is still there, NCL is going to hear about it big time.

That's the same stateroom I have booked for next summer, so I am VERY interested to hear about it.

I left a message for NCL Guest Relations via their website, then copied my message and forwarded it my PCC this weekend. He wrote me back and promised to expedite this with GR. They called me last night, but I was in a rehearsal and could not answer my phone, so I'm going to attempt to call them today.

If anyone here can provide me with details on when you previously spoke to someone about this (on ship or the shore-side team) and possibly the name of that person, I can respond if they continue to deny knowledge of this. I had mentioned in my original message that from what I can tell, this issue goes back at least to 2013.

Thanks!

We had wonderfully gorgeous weather for 5 of the 7 days. I spent a great deal of time on the balcony, and only smelled the foul odor briefly, and faintly this morning just prior to disembarking.

Thanks, jamminlion!

Were you in an aft-facing stateroom? Which deck?

Did you report the odor to anyone?

Just trying to get some info before I speak with someone in Guest Relations (just in case they pull out the "we've never heard of this before" response).

Edited by OhJinkies

Thanks, jamminlion!

Were you in an aft-facing stateroom? Which deck?

Did you report the odor to anyone?

Just trying to get some info before I speak with someone in Guest Relations (just in case they pull out the "we've never heard of this before" response).

I posted this on June 8

I just got off the phone with Christina at the NCL GUEST RELATIONS number 866-625-1164. She was very nice and did put me on hold to check for other complaints. She came back and said that there had been some complaints pre-refit, but none since there.

I explained to her what I had done on cc by soliciting others experiences on the Sun and that others had experienced the sewage odor problem AFTER the refit.