Wheelchair Courtesy

One of us is confined to a wheelchair and he exercises every possible courtesy/caution as not to harm/injure other passengers with his wheelchair while onboard ship and/or ashore and/or at home and in his hometown when out and about.

On board ship though he had a few of too many close calls when an impatient passenger suddenly jumped from behind to in front of him and/or tried to squeeze past him in hallways while he and his wheelchair were in motion.

In short, he's very cautious and very considerate of others and only wishes that others would be the same in return.

I'd like to think that what you have described is unique to your husband, but I can assure you that all of us who have mobility issues have experienced this. It isn't unique to cruise ships or wheelchair users as I have experienced this ever since I developed mobility issues starting when I began using a cane, then a walker as well as a wheelchair all on land. It is just a different manifestation of the Me, Me, Me attitude and the fear of missing out. I have to admit I do get some satisfaction when I get taken to the start of the line and get seated or looked after first.

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence regardless of the ship and cruise line.

Though your post is informative to those that are disabled, the passengers that really need to read it are those that are able bodied. Therefore suggest you post this on the various cruise line forums so that able body people can read it.

Unfortunately this is a common occurrence regardless of the ship and cruise line.

Though your post is informative to those that are disabled, the passengers that really need to read it are those that are able bodied. Therefore suggest you post this on the various cruise line forums so that able body people can read it.

Thank you.

I have just copied/posted my original post on NCL, Carnival, HAL and Princess forums. Hopefully "able bodied" passengers will read/remember and act accordingly.

Thank you again.

I was just chastised for posting this on the Princess forum since our signature didn't indicate we have sailed on Princess...oh well.... :rolleyes:

Edited by oldguysandgalls

I was just chastised for posting this on the Princess forum since our signature didn't indicate we have sailed on Princess...oh well.... :rolleyes:

Yes I saw that and wondered why was that necessary. I understood exactly why you posted. I suspect that they don't understand why your post was relevant to any cruise line.

I was just criticised for posting this on the Princess forum since our signature didn't indicate we have sailed on Princess...oh well.... :rolleyes:

I was just criticised for posting this on the Princess forum since our signature didn't indicate we have sailed on Princess...oh well.... :rolleyes:

I came to your defence and hopefully it helps the situation. I only really read the Princess forum and the Disabled Forum as I am planning cruise with Princess and I'm disabled so I certainly would not be reading the others and I am sure I am not the only person that reads a small portion of the site.

I came to your defence and hopefully it helps the situation. I only really read the Princess forum and the Disabled Forum as I am planning cruise with Princess and I'm disabled so I certainly would not be reading the others and I am sure I am not the only person that reads a small portion of the site.

Yes, I read your eloquent defence. Thank you for speaking up for each and everyone of us.

Kind regards.

One of us is confined to a wheelchair and he exercises every possible courtesy/caution as not to harm/injure other passengers with his wheelchair while onboard ship and/or ashore and/or at home and in his hometown when out and about.

On board ship though he had a few of too many close calls when an impatient passenger suddenly jumped from behind to in front of him and/or tried to squeeze past him in hallways while he and his wheelchair were in motion.

In short, he's very cautious and very considerate of others and only wishes that others would be the same in return.

What you have described is behavior that is not just experienced by those in wheelchairs or scooters. It is an all-too-common lack of common courtesy that we all experience. It's the me first and to heck with you attitude that seems to be increasing in prevalence, demonstrated by people who butt in line, "save" seats in the theater, and "reserve" loungers poolside, smoke on their balcony when it's prohibited, and other boorish behaviors.

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand.

Edited by SargassoPirate

Please don't take it personally . I standby my suggestion and am heading over to the Princess Board to support your post.

Claiming you shouldn't have posted Princess becuase your signature doesn't indicate that cruise on Princess if rediculous . For all that person knows ( or anyone for that matter ) you may not have updated your signature.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and supportive responses.

Clarification: Re: Our Signature:

While we have not cruised with Princess as of yet, (hence it is not included in our signature) we are considering booking a cruise with Princess Cruise Lines for 2018 at which time we'll update our signature. ;)

Edited by oldguysandgalls

I was pushing my wife's wheelchair on a cruise a few years ago. A 40-ish woman made eye contact with me then cut right in front of us. Had I tried to stop suddenly, my wife would have been flung out of her chair. The footpeg clipped the back of the lady's leg. She shot me a look like she expected an apology. I just smiled and said "I guess I didn't see you, either" !

Don't even get me started on able-bodied people running to beat us to the elevators!

I was pushing my wife's wheelchair on a cruise a few years ago. A 40-ish woman made eye contact with me then cut right in front of us. Had I tried to stop suddenly, my wife would have been flung out of her chair. The footpeg clipped the back of the lady's leg. She shot me a look like she expected an apology. I just smiled and said "I guess I didn't see you, either" !

Don't even get me started on able-bodied people running to beat us to the elevators!

Hi,

A small anecdote that still makes me chuckle.

To set the picture I am the size of a small country with mobility problems, a few years ago when I was able to walk more I was in our local supermarket just bimbling about when a young man came from my rear and tried to go through a space that wasn't there between the shelves and myself, needless to say he lost and ended up in a pile on the floor a lady who saw what had happened was just stood there laughing at him, she said to me 1-0 to you.

Pete

A couple of years ago we were on Oasis. We were waiting (and waiting and waiting) for an elevator. I'm usually the one pushing through the crowd to get us onto an elevator. Just as one opened (we had probably been waiting 5-10 minutes) I started to walk toward the elevator to hold it open for her when a young man (maybe 12-13 years old) cut in front of us to get on the elevator. His grandfather literally grabbed him by the back of the shirt and dragged him off the elevator. I smiled and thanked him. He proceeded to explain to his grandson about "courtesy".

It's not just cruise ships as everyone on this site knows.

Unfortunately there are cheerleaders for every cruise who regard any negative comment about their cruise line as a personal attack. While I am a pusher for Dudette, it probably not wise to cut and paste the same post on a number of forums. It would seem that your Princess post had been removed however I find the mod on that forum a little diligent then some. That all said, I have run into my share of ankles and calves. It isn't always people cutting front of the chair as much as people stopping suddenly in the middle of the traffic flow and its very hard to stop a chair with a 6', 200 lb person in it. Yes, many people could be more aware of others in wheelchairs.

Don't let it bother you.

It happens frequently.

On a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords, I saw a woman with a pushchair following a woman with a walker.

After a while, the first woman deliberately pushed the pushchair forward until it hit the legs of the woman with the walker. She then said "Hurry up!"

The husband of the woman with the walker really gave the other woman a piece of his mind. She responded with "No spik English."

On that particular cruise, about half of the passengers were of one nationality and many of them were rude and inconsiderate.