Is 1030 am flight to early to catch, post cruise?

littysmom

I would suggest booking the earliest flight to your home airport, get off the ship, if you make it, you make it, otherwise, the airline has to compensate you, re book you to get home. win, win.

With all due respect, thats bad advice. That information is grossly inaccurate. If you're a no show, for whatever reason, the airline has no responsibility to rebook you (except for some higher fare classes). Even worse, if you don't notify the airline that you won't make your flight within a certain number of hours prior to missing the flight, you will forfeit the entire amount of your ticket on non-refundable fares, so you will need to purchase new, same day ($$$$) flights out of pocket if you want to get home.

Some airlines (more like the specific agent; hope you get one in a good mood) will rebook you on a later flight if you've missed the original one for reasons out of your control, but they are not required to do so unless your specific fare specifies it. But keep in mind that, on a busy Saturday or Sunday, chances are that all flights for the rest of the day will have ZERO availability which will make for a very long and exhausting day of standing by, hoping for some empty seats.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Tapi

I agree with Tapi, it is a risk you take on. We went through the same thought process, the 11am-12 noon FLL departing flights were a lot more $ (airlines know what they are doing). The SAS rep told us it would not be a problem, he does it all the time. So we booked a 10:25 am flight. It all turn out great. However our driver told us earlier in the week I95 was back up for hours due to a shooting. There are always traffic accidents on that road. MIA to FLL really depends on when your ship arrives.

Port Everglades to FLL I say a 10:30 is fine, I have done it

Check out portfever.com on a similar day of week your cruise will be returning. You may have to wake up early, but you can monitor when that ship's itinerary usually enters the port. They all don't return at 5 am, that would be nice.

With all due respect, thats bad advice. That information is grossly inaccurate. If you're a no show, for whatever reason, the airline has no responsibility to rebook you (except for some higher fare classes). Even worse, if you don't notify the airline that you won't make your flight within a certain number of hours prior to missing the flight, you will forfeit the entire amount of your ticket on non-refundable fares, so you will need to purchase new, same day ($$$$) flights out of pocket if you want to get home.

Some airlines (more like the specific agent; hope you get one in a good mood) will rebook you on a later flight if you've missed the original one for reasons out of your control, but they are not required to do so unless your specific fare specifies it. But keep in mind that, on a busy Saturday or Sunday, chances are that all flights for the rest of the day will have ZERO availability which will make for a very long and exhausting day of standing by, hoping for some empty seats.

Not worth it in my opinion.

IMOP and only IMOP, when someone posts on "whats the earliest flight home" bla bla bal, which is asked at least twice a week here, obviously people A. have never flown B. Haven't flown since 9/11 C. Never flown after 4-9 ships debarking in Ft Lauderdale.

I give my OPINION tongue in cheek, if you have to ask, first, do your homework.

First, IF you have to be the first one off the ship to get a flight home, you either made a bad choice on your date for your cruise, or you shouldn't have left home in the first place.

Being on a wonderful, relaxing cruise then ruining it by rushing home, is just, well, not worth it. I love just taking that extra day to enjoy the city, having a nice final vacation dinner, THEN, the next morning, after all others have departed, I can leisurely get to the airport to await my flight home.

I totally agree with your opinion, I hope others will see the light as well.

Something else to consider, aside from the regular delays that could occur, are when exactly in December will you be traveling, and on what day of the week? Both of those factors could greatly impact traffic and/or waits for security, etc at the airport. Later in the month definitely will lend to greater volume.

There is a reason the flights from port airports are cheaper than those in the recommended cruise line time frames.

Last flight out of FLL, there were more than 70 on standby for my 12:40 pm flight.

Those must be the ones who booked the early flights, and did self walk off.

First, IF you have to be the first one off the ship to get a flight home, you either made a bad choice on your date for your cruise, or you shouldn't have left home in the first place.

Really? Telling me that I should stay home or I made a bad choice because I book early flights? That's none of your business and in this particular case you should keep your offensive opinion to yourself.

I have booked flights late in the day and even the next day. Total waste of time sitting at the airport for all those hours and another wasted day milling around Florida for no good reason.

I ALWAYS book flights early now and have had no problem in getting to the airport in PLENTY of time. I could have made an 8:30AM flight numerous times. Usually I leave anywhere from 10-11AM because that's when the flights I need are available to get home. Sometimes I have to be to work the same day I get back. Not everyone is afforded 8-9 days off in a row. So because of that I should stay home?

The people such as myself that are prepared for early flights and know what to do can handle it. FTTF self assist every time so I'm amongst the first off. No wait at customs, straight into a taxi or Uber. I carry my own luggage off and only bring a carryon sized suitcase which doesn't require checking it in so no wait there. TSA PreCheck so expedited security. Minimal lines there too. As you can see it CAN be done but isn't for the ill prepared. If somehow I miss my flight then so be it. I will find another flight or alternative transportation home. That's a chance that I am willing to take. Others may not and I would never belittle them for it.

If there are delays by hours then everyone pretty much is screwed anyway so it makes no difference if my flight was at noon or 9AM. Everyone will be in the same boat so to speak.

So maybe you should focus on what makes you comfortable and not be so rude as to make a blanket comment that those who book early flights are stupid and should just stay home.

OP, yes it can be done if you are prepared. Only you can make that decision, though.

Really? Telling me that I should stay home or I made a bad choice because I book early flights? That's none of your business and in this particular case you should keep your offensive opinion to yourself.

I have booked flights late in the day and even the next day. Total waste of time sitting at the airport for all those hours and another wasted day milling around Florida for no good reason.

I ALWAYS book flights early now and have had no problem in getting to the airport in PLENTY of time. I could have made an 8:30AM flight numerous times. Usually I leave anywhere from 10-11AM because that's when the flights I need are available to get home. Sometimes I have to be to work the same day I get back. Not everyone is afforded 8-9 days off in a row. So because of that I should stay home?

The people such as myself that are prepared for early flights and know what to do can handle it. FTTF self assist every time so I'm amongst the first off. No wait at customs, straight into a taxi or Uber. I carry my own luggage off and only bring a carryon sized suitcase which doesn't require checking it in so no wait there. TSA PreCheck so expedited security. Minimal lines there too. As you can see it CAN be done but isn't for the ill prepared. If somehow I miss my flight then so be it. I will find another flight or alternative transportation home. That's a chance that I am willing to take. Others may not and I would never belittle them for it.

If there are delays by hours then everyone pretty much is screwed anyway so it makes no difference if my flight was at noon or 9AM. Everyone will be in the same boat so to speak.

So maybe you should focus on what makes you comfortable and not be so rude as to make a blanket comment that those who book early flights are stupid and should just stay home.

OP, yes it can be done if you are prepared. Only you can make that decision, though.

OUCH!! I don't believe I was belittling anyone, you stated in your own post, pretty much what I said. No matter when your flight is, you may make it, you may not. That doesn't even just apply to Ft Lauderdale, it could happen to me from my house to the airport and I only live five minutes away. YES, each individual makes choices, what they think is best for them. To each their own I say.

Maybe we should start a thread for those who have to work the same day they return from their cruise and see what options they use.

OUCH!! I don't believe I was belittling anyone, you stated in your own post, pretty much what I said. No matter when your flight is, you may make it, you may not. That doesn't even just apply to Ft Lauderdale, it could happen to me from my house to the airport and I only live five minutes away. YES, each individual makes choices, what they think is best for them. To each their own I say.

Maybe we should start a thread for those who have to work the same day they return from their cruise and see what options they use.

Well the part that I highlighted in my previous post struck a nerve with me. By saying if you book an early flight that you should have adjusted your dates or stayed home implies that those that don't have (or want) to spend extra time at the airport or another day to kill don't deserve to cruise.

What good would it do to start another thread for those that have to go back to work the same day? There's really not a lot of options. It doesn't really matter what others do because there is only one thing that can work for me and that's catch an early flight home. I don't live within same day driving distance from Florida so unless someone wants to rent me their private jet or helicopter, the only option I have is to get an early flight. Then if I miss it, I miss it. If others want to go on shorter cruises then good for them. I go down the day before because I'm more worried about getting on the ship than off.

Well the part that I highlighted in my previous post struck a nerve with me. By saying if you book an early flight that you should have adjusted your dates or stayed home implies that those that don't have (or want) to spend extra time at the airport or another day to kill don't deserve to cruise.

What good would it do to start another thread for those that have to go back to work the same day? There's really not a lot of options. It doesn't really matter what others do because there is only one thing that can work for me and that's catch an early flight home. I don't live within same day driving distance from Florida so unless someone wants to rent me their private jet or helicopter, the only option I have is to get an early flight. Then if I miss it, I miss it. If others want to go on shorter cruises then good for them. I go down the day before because I'm more worried about getting on the ship than off.

OK then, Whatever your choices are, good luck, God Bless, and have many more wonderful cruises.

Personally I would only risk it for the following (in descending order)

1. Only flight home that day

2. Only no-stop flight

3. Only other flight is so late I can't check my bag when I think I'll arrive at the airport (4 hours before depart with Southwest)

#3 is where I'm hung up on for my December flight with an alternative of staying overnight at the home port

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Personally I would only risk it for the following (in descending order)

1. Only flight home that day

2. Only no-stop flight

3. Only other flight is so late I can't check my bag when I think I'll arrive at the airport (4 hours before depart with Southwest)

#3 is where I'm hung up on for my December flight with an alternative of staying overnight at the home port

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm with you, especially if you are flying into Rochester, Syracuse or Albany. Two years ago, a week later, we got hit with 8 feet of snow in two days

Thanks everyone for your input. I really wanted to avoid sitting in the airport again till 3 pm. We were on the Magic a month ago and that's what time our flight left. What a long day that was for us.

Thanks everyone for your input. I really wanted to avoid sitting in the airport again till 3 pm. We were on the Magic a month ago and that's what time our flight left. What a long day that was for us.

I agree that a 3PM flight is a long time to wait. Plus at FLL they don't let you check your bags until 4 hours before your flight. I hate that about that airport. So what have you decided?

I agree that a 3PM flight is a long time to wait. Plus at FLL they don't let you check your bags until 4 hours before your flight. I hate that about that airport. So what have you decided?

Well, I am still debating. I am Platinum which means that I will be one of the first to disembark so I am torn as to what to do. It sounds very doable. I guess I will just think on it another week. They say booking on Tuesdays you can get the best rates. I will review the rates today, and compare,see if I can see a difference. Thank you!

Well, I am still debating. I am Platinum which means that I will be one of the first to disembark so I am torn as to what to do. It sounds very doable. I guess I will just think on it another week. They say booking on Tuesdays you can get the best rates. I will review the rates today, and compare,see if I can see a difference. Thank you!

You're welcome. I'll be Platinum on my next cruise too so it will be nice to save $60. As long as you carry off your bags you should be good to go. They will have you meet in the midship dining room usually and you'll be the first to to get off. It wouldn't hurt to sign up for PreCheck as well. It's worth it to me.

The cruise line will not do anything if your return flight is before their recommended flight time.

I have been reimbursed 2x for the ship being late back into port. Once for a medical emergency and another for man overboard.

I have been reimbursed 2x for the ship being late back into port. Once for a medical emergency and another for man overboard.

That's very different than expecting reimbursement because you booked an early flight outside of guidelines and missed it for no extraordinary reasons.

Edited by Tapi

You don't have to be: the first one off the ship. You can can sleep late and be out of your cabin by 8:30am. You can then go to the buffet for breakfast. You can be one of the last to disembark at about 10:00am thru 10:30am. Then head over to the airport for an afternoon flight. This sure beats hanging out at the airport all day. This is what I usually do. This sure beats rushing around on your last cruise morning.

Edited by JohnSpo

That's very different than expecting reimbursement because you booked an early flight outside of guidelines and missed it for no extraordinary reasons.

No it isn't, the ship was late and people who missed thier fights got reimbursement. You are really making this out to be a bigger deal than what it is. I have had a 11am or earlier flight after a cruise many many times. It's not stressful what so ever. It's very convenient, and if you tell the service desk you have a early flight they will let you disembark at the beginning or just carry you own bags off like we usually do.

No it isn't, the ship was late and people who missed thier fights got reimbursement. You are really making this out to be a bigger deal than what it is.

As mentioned above, we flew home at 8:45am 2 weeks ago when we returned from our last cruise. I know from experience that it's perfectly doable and a lot easier with check in lines and security checkpoints. But we don't buy early morning return flights, we just standby for them if we are back with enough time to catch them.

But what I was trying to stress is that people shouldn't book the earliest flight possible expecting to get reimbursed by the cruise line, the airline, or their insurance because, under normal circumstances they won't.

Edited by Tapi

Just because you are platinum, does not mean you are the first to debark.

Depending on your travel arrangements, you give to customer service, you are assigned a debarking time. Normally we stay in Ft Lauderdale for a few days, so we request the latest debarking time, this way not much luggage left in the termal, shorter lines for CBP and taxi's. If there is a specific time you wish to debark, you note it on the paper. Platinum does have the lounge, where you can wait until you time comes, but last year, when we arrived there, everyone had been cleared and off we went.