Transfer to Horseshoe Bay Beach

travelling duo

My goodness -- for our family of 8 there is a huge difference between ship transfer at $270 vs. $112 for mini bus. And that's all you get? Why do people do this? Is it really that simple to get the mini bus, both ways? We have young people and old people in our group.

It is very simple to get the minibus both ways. They are right there when you get off the ship and the same leaving the beach. I think SBtS explained why. Some are afraid of do it yourself and others don't do destination research and read forums like this one on Cruise Critic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies!

How much are the cabs approx.? Would you also recommend the normal bus?

A taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay would be approximately $18 (1-4 passengers), $22 (5-6 passengers).

As for the public bus I have usually taken it when going from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay but without knowing the day of the week and time you plan on going, and the number in your party, I wouldn't want to comment on whether that is a good option for you.

Edited by Charles4515

A taxi from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay would be approximately $18 (1-4 passengers), $22 (5-6 passengers).

As for the public bus I have usually taken it when going from Hamilton to Horseshoe Bay but without knowing the day of the week and time you plan on going, and the number in your party, I wouldn't want to comment on whether that is a good option for you.

I will be there on Tuesday, 8th November. I would take #7 (Hamilton to Dockyard) about 12 noon.

According to this schedule the bus leaves at 11. 50 am or 12.20 pm (every 30 min). Is this schedule up to date?

At the moment I'm only 1 Person. 1 other ship (Carnival Ecstasy) is also in Bermuda on this date.

Thanks for your help, Charles.

I will be there on Tuesday, 8th November. I would take #7 (Hamilton to Dockyard) about 12 noon.

According to this schedule the bus leaves at 11. 50 am or 12.20 pm (every 30 min). Is this schedule up to date?

At the moment I'm only 1 Person. 1 other ship (Carnival Ecstasy) is also in Bermuda on this date.

That schedule is up-to-date.

SBtS

The schedule is up to date but 11:50 and 12:20 are the times the bus departs the Dockyard not Hamilton.

So to make sure we are on the same page, and there is no confusion; you are on NCL Jade, which is docking at the Dockyard at 9:00 am, you plan to take a ferry to Hamilton from the Dockyard in the morning, then a bus around noon to Horseshoe Bay, and a bus back to the Dockyard and your ship departs Bermuda at 5:00 PM ?

The schedule is up to date but 11:50 and 12:20 are the times the bus departs the Dockyard not Hamilton.

So to make sure we are on the same page, and there is no confusion; you are on NCL Jade, which is docking at the Dockyard at 9:00 am, you plan to take a ferry to Hamilton from the Dockyard in the morning, then a bus around noon to Horseshoe Bay, and a bus back to the Dockyard and your ship departs Bermuda at 5:00 PM ?

Ah yes, then 11.30 am or 12 the bus leaves Hamilton.

Yes, correct NCL Jade and take the ferry at 9.30 am. I know it's busy but I don't want to see only Hamilton or only HSB :).

I plan just a short stay at HSB and maybe take the minibus shuttle from HSB to Dockyard at around 3pm.

Yes, correct NCL Jade and take the ferry at 9.30 am. I know it's busy but I don't want to see only Hamilton or only HSB :).

I plan just a short stay at HSB and maybe take the minibus shuttle from HSB to Dockyard at around 3pm.

Don't count on minibus shuttles being available in November. Last year they weren't available one day in mid October, and we were on the Breakaway...a much larger ship that docks in Bermuda every week during the cruise season. They had apparently discontinued the minibuses just prior to our cruise, despite knowing the BA was going to be in port one more time.

Make sure you have alternative transportation plans in hand...taxi or public buses.

As mentioned by njhorseman the minibus shuttles might not be running in November. That is after the end of the beach season in Bermuda and past the peak cruise season. So what you read here about the peak season tends to wind down starting in October. Plus your ship is not a regular at the port. The weather might not be good for the beach either, never been there that late in the year but it could be cooler temps in November.

But also the ferry goes on a winter schedule. A current summer schedule is thru October 30. The last couple of years in the winter they did not have a 9:30 ferry. Ferries in the morning were 7:10, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00.....on the hour until 5.

Edited by Charles4515

For a family of 8 I would just take public bus for $4.50 a token and $2.75 for kids, its easy small walk down hill, we have done it 10x w/o an issue

I took the public buses more then ten times over the years. But now I take the minibus shuttles. The minibus is more convenient. Don't have to walk to the bus stop at the Dockyard. They are right there when getting off the ship. At Horseshoe it goes down the hill and up the hill. There is no waiting for a bus at the Dockyard or Horseshoe. Don't have to stand on the minibus which I had to about 70% of the time on the public buses. The minibus goes direct to Horseshoe without stopping unlike the public bus. Some of the minibuses have WiFi. The minibuses are currently the best way to get to and from Horseshoe.

For a family of 8 I would just take public bus for $4.50 a token and $2.75 for kids, its easy small walk down hill, we have done it 10x w/o an issue

In the past they had the "special" express buses that went nonstop directly to Horseshoe Bay, but not any longer so you have to take the local #7...and they will limit the number of cruise ship passengers that can board the #7 to leave room for residents who use the buses to go to work, school, doctors appointments, etc.

In the past there was the van driver who would take you back up the hill to the bus stop if you needed it. That doesn't exist any longer because it's not needed because of all the beach goers who now use taxis and minibuses.

What worked well in the past doesn't work as well now.

Don't count on minibus shuttles being available in November. Last year they weren't available one day in mid October, and we were on the Breakaway...a much larger ship that docks in Bermuda every week during the cruise season. They had apparently discontinued the minibuses just prior to our cruise, despite knowing the BA was going to be in port one more time.

Make sure you have alternative transportation plans in hand...taxi or public buses.

Ok, thank you for the information. Maybe I will drive with the taxi if the public bus is crowded.

As mentioned by njhorseman the minibus shuttles might not be running in November. That is after the end of the beach season in Bermuda and past the peak cruise season. So what you read here about the peak season tends to wind down starting in October. Plus your ship is not a regular at the port. The weather might not be good for the beach either, never been there that late in the year but it could be cooler temps in November.

But also the ferry goes on a winter schedule. A current summer schedule is thru October 30. The last couple of years in the winter they did not have a 9:30 ferry. Ferries in the morning were 7:10, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00.....on the hour until 5.

Ok, good to know. If the water is to cold I will take just some pictures :D.

I will check the winter schedule. 10:00 is a little bit late; there is no Minibus shuttle from Dockyard to Hamilton? I think the taxi is to expensive for 1 person.

Thank you both for your help.

Ok, thank you for the information. Maybe I will drive with the taxi if the public bus is crowded.

Ok, good to know. If the water is to cold I will take just some pictures :D.

I will check the winter schedule. 10:00 is a little bit late; there is no Minibus shuttle from Dockyard to Hamilton? I think the taxi is to expensive for 1 person.

Thank you both for your help.

Unless you have a group of 7 people or more that want to go to a particular location there's no minibus shuttle to anywhere but Horseshoe Bay...and as I said there's a good chance that there won't even be minibus shuttles to Horseshoe Bay in November.

To get to Hamilton from Dockyard you would have to take the ferry, a #7 or #8 bus (which takes about an hour) or a taxi.

In the past they had the "special" express buses that went nonstop directly to Horseshoe Bay, but not any longer so you have to take the local #7...and they will limit the number of cruise ship passengers that can board the #7 to leave room for residents who use the buses to go to work, school, doctors appointments, etc.

In the past there was the van driver who would take you back up the hill to the bus stop if you needed it. That doesn't exist any longer because it's not needed because of all the beach goers who now use taxis and minibuses.

What worked well in the past doesn't work as well now.

Wow that is a shame, we always had no issues with bus and for a family of 4 using the shuttle is 40% more these days, pretty brutal for our normal 2 trips to Horseshoe

As many mentioned, there are a variety of ways to get to Horseshoe Bay Beach and it depends on your budget, tolerance for waiting, and comfort with public transit. For the most recent rates and other tidbits this recent Q&A on all things Horseshoe Bay Beach from a Bermuda cruise might help.

Unfortunately the info on that website is from early May and is already outdated. The rates for chair and umbrella rentals have changed as a new concession has taken over for those. Chairs are $15, umbrellas $15, or two chairs for $40. The menu has also very changed at the concession stand. They also don't mention that tokens are for sale for the public buses. Best not to use that link.

Wow that is a shame, we always had no issues with bus and for a family of 4 using the shuttle is 40% more these days, pretty brutal for our normal 2 trips to Horseshoe

You can still do the public buses if you want to save money. It's just that they have made it the less desirable option. As mentioned no more "Special" express buses. The $2 rides to the top also gone. They have buses that do the route but start after the Dockyard because they want to have seats on the buses for local commuters and they want tourists to take the minibus and taxis to bolster the private economy. So things changed this year from previous years. For us the price difference was not a lot but we don't get any children's rates so the difference was not 40%. We also always walked down the hill but often took the $2 ride up. So with $4.50 for a token we were already at $6.50 per adult per trip. For us a .50 difference from the $7 shuttles. Also we have also reached the point where we would rather not stand, we had to stand a lot on the public bus to and from Horseshoe. And with the shuttles we never had to wait at the Dockyard or at Horseshoe. That's why I say the minibus shuttles are best option for most people now but the public bus option is still there. You could have good luck and have no issues.

Edited by Charles4515