About $1m for Newie terminal

But you said that the new bollards ' will still only allow ships up to about 3,500 PAX.' :confused:

Sorry my bad.

Where they tie up at Dykes Point they can't go any longer is my understanding. Why they don't move it. I'm not sure. Probably because freight and coal take priority, but that's just a guess.

Sorry my bad.

Where they tie up at Dykes Point they can't go any longer is my understanding. Why they don't move it. I'm not sure. Probably because freight and coal take priority, but that's just a guess.

No worries, I imagine they will try and make it as good as budget and their limitations will allow.

Sorry my bad.

Wasn't the problem that they didn't have the room to swing the longer /larger ships near the proposed terminal and it was to far to reverse them in from the wider part of the port?:confused:

Wasn't the problem that they didn't have the room to swing the longer /larger ships near the proposed terminal and it was to far to reverse them in from the wider part of the port?:confused:

I seem to remember something about that now. Are we talking about the same port area though. Is Throsby dock, at Dykes point?:confused:

I found this article from Feb 2015 about a proposal for a new terminal in Newie, see:http://www.theherald.com.au/story/2871057/report-favours-wickham-cruise-terminal/

Thanks for the articles, same query though, is Throsby wharf at Dykes point?

They are different locations. This is from Option Report, see http://www.hdc.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Final%20cruise%20option%20report.pdf

"Preliminary Options Evaluated During 2010 eight sites were assessed by the Reference Group for their capacity to service cruise visits and home port operations:

Throsby Wharf, West Basin 4,Queens Wharf,Tug Berths, Channel Berth, Dyke No 1 Berth,Mayfield Berth & Walsh Point

Only three sites were identified as being able to be made physically capable of operating a cruise terminal for cruise visits and home porting. The other sites could not be made suitable because of the significance of their berthing and navigational constraints.

The three options which could be made capable of accommodating a permanent cruise terminal were then assessed in detail:

Tug Berths: located on the southern side of the harbour some 1.8km west of the port entrance and adjacent to the open park land know as the Foreshore.

Queens Wharf: located on the southern side of the harbour some 2.2km west of the port entrance and adjacent to the open park land know as the Foreshore.

Channel Berth:located on the northern side of the harbour some 3km from the entrance to the port and extending along a peninsular of land known as Dyke Point"

No, Throsby Wharf is on the main Newcastle side, along from Honeysuckle, whereas Dyke Point is where the old State Dockyard was, on the opposite side of the harbour. There is a jutting out point (Dyke Point).

The cruise wharf is just a little further along from Dyke Point, on the same side

There is nothing there most times and they erect a marquee when the cruise ships come in to Newie.

Google it and you will see what I mean.

They are different locations. This is from Option Report, see http://www.hdc.nsw.gov.au/sites/default/files/Final%20cruise%20option%20report.pdf

"Preliminary Options Evaluated During 2010 eight sites were assessed by the Reference Group for their capacity to service cruise visits and home port operations:

Throsby Wharf, West Basin 4,Queens Wharf,Tug Berths, Channel Berth, Dyke No 1 Berth,Mayfield Berth & Walsh Point

Only three sites were identified as being able to be made physically capable of operating a cruise terminal for cruise visits and home porting. The other sites could not be made suitable because of the significance of their berthing and navigational constraints.

The three options which could be made capable of accommodating a permanent cruise terminal were then assessed in detail:

Tug Berths: located on the southern side of the harbour some 1.8km west of the port entrance and adjacent to the open park land know as the Foreshore.

Queens Wharf: located on the southern side of the harbour some 2.2km west of the port entrance and adjacent to the open park land know as the Foreshore.

Channel Berth:located on the northern side of the harbour some 3km from the entrance to the port and extending along a peninsular of land known as Dyke Point"

Thanks, so it looks like the third option may get the new bollards but that is it.

No, Throsby Wharf is on the main Newcastle side, along from Honeysuckle, whereas Dyke Point is where the old State Dockyard was, on the opposite side of the harbour. There is a jutting out point (Dyke Point).

The cruise wharf is just a little further along from Dyke Point, on the same side

There is nothing there most times and they erect a marquee when the cruise ships come in to Newie.

Google it and you will see what I mean.

Thanks, your explanation and that from By the Bay has clarified it for me.

Edited by MicCanberra

Don't call Wagga Wagga Wagga ! You don't call Grong Grong Grong, so maybe you shouldn't call Newy Newy Newy either???

Why can't I call Wagga Wagga, Wagga, most who come from there do?:confused:

Thanks, so it looks like the third option may get the new bollards but that is it.

That's it, so it looks like if they build it'll be Dyke Point.

I think Trosby Wharf would be great, but some say there's not enough room to turn the ships, I'm not persuaded yet, but if that's right then:

Personally I'd go for the Tug berths, but it may be a touch narrow, or queens wharf but I suspect the "Brewery" wouldn't like that and would probably need to be bought out.

That's it, so it looks like if they build it'll be Dyke Point.

I think Trosby Wharf would be great, but some say there's not enough room to turn the ships, I'm not persuaded yet, but if that's right then:

Personally I'd go for the Tug berths, but it may be a touch narrow, or queens wharf but I suspect the "Brewery" wouldn't like that and would probably need to be bought out.

It would be a shame if they do not have the better spot, reminds me of the Bangeroo, White Bay and Garden Island argument for Sydney.

I've lived here ALL my life, born and bred Wangi boy, Newie first started to be used in about the mid 70s, prior to that it was just Town.

Yes me too.... It was always Town. The big city haha.

Would be awesome if we got a cruise port. Save the problem with going to and from Sydney with all that congestion around the Quay.

What's wrong with a tent for the Newcastle cruise terminal. Civitivecchia in Rome has a tent for its terminal and its very efficient and handles more cruise ships than Newcastle could ever dream doing. One can get carried away with so called facilities for day tripping cruise passengers

What's wrong with a tent for the Newcastle cruise terminal. Civitivecchia in Rome has a tent for its terminal and its very efficient and handles more cruise ships than Newcastle could ever dream doing. One can get carried away with so called facilities for day tripping cruise passengers

Fine for a day visit, not for a home port though.