Question about Chef's table

Hey everyone,

There was a thread on here a short time ago about Chef's Table. It got to be kind of nasty and I assume it has been deleted. I can't find it, anyway. I have zero interest in rehashing much of that topic, but someone had posted a menu in that thread.

I am trying to explain it to my sister-in-law, who is joining us on our cruise and am wondering if the menu can be reposted? I assume that the menu changes, but it would be nice to give her an example.

Thanks bunches!

Oh! Love the video, thank you. I wonder if you have to dress to that level. I am fine but wasn't planning on suit and tie for hubs. Hmmmmm

We did the Chef's Table on the first night of a 4 day cruise (not formal night). I wore a pair of slacks with a shirt & tie and Nancy wore a nice dress. I felt like our attire was proper for the evening. If it were formal night I would have worn a jacket ( and draped it over the back of the chair most of the evening :p)

If hubs doesn't like ties, slacks and a nice dress shirt would probably work on non-formal nights.

Keep in mind that Chef's Table varies by ship. We've done it on two different ships with different "vibes" in each. On Oasis it was in the suite lounge and on Adventure it was in the MDR above the grand staircase. Oasis felt much more like a special occasion...a bit more fancy (but suit not necessary). On Adventure, whatever the suggested attire was for the MDR would have been fine.

Oh! Love the video, thank you. I wonder if you have to dress to that level. I am fine but wasn't planning on suit and tie for hubs. Hmmmmm

A few comments. I am a HUGE fan (YUGE) of Chefs Table. We've done 5 or 6 on different ships. The menu has become standard across the fleet (so I understand), but does change from time to time.

You don't say what ship you are going on. We had friends who tried it on Freedom and there were 26 people and it was in the Windjammer. Not good. Do not do it if there are more than 14-16 people, and, IMHO, it isn't in a small private room. My opinion only.

We have had as few as 6 and as many as 16. Enjoyed everyone. Wine flowed freely. The food was wonderful. The presentation was great!

Dress Code: For us, we always dress up a bit. I go in sport coat and tie. It's a nice evening for us. We see it as a special event and like to dress accordingly. But most don't. Our last Chef's Table was in March on Serenade. Most everyone dressed at least in shirt and slacks and nice dresses or pantsuits. However 2 guys came in worn out cargo pants, faded polo style shirts, and dirty sneakers. I found it inappropriate to the event, but not my problem. But after dinner, we were saying goodby to the Sommelier for the evening, and he made a very direct comment about their dress. Not judging (ok I am a bit). But to be honest, if you go, it's a nice, fairly luxurious, dining event. Takes about 3 hours. Business casual isn't asking too much. By the way, it states "Formal wear" on the website. But again, business casual is very acceptable.

Another tip. They will adjust the menu for individuals with likes, dislikes, or allergies. Just call ahead and let them know, then I always double check when we arrive. My wife is allergic to any seafood. They usually substitute a chicken or something for any seafood dish. Now, it isn't as good as what the rest of us get, but she's always found it good.

Anyway, if you book it, check it out on board for maximum number of people, and venue in which it's held.

Edited by papaflamingo

A few comments. I am a HUGE fan (YUGE) of Chefs Table. We've done 5 or 6 on different ships. The menu has become standard across the fleet (so I understand), but does change from time to time.

You don't say what ship you are going on. We had friends who tried it on Freedom and there were 26 people and it was in the Windjammer. Not good. Do not do it if there are more than 14-16 people, and, IMHO, it isn't in a small private room. My opinion only.

We have had as few as 6 and as many as 16. Enjoyed everyone. Wine flowed freely. The food was wonderful. The presentation was great!

Dress Code: For us, we always dress up a bit. I go in sport coat and tie. It's a nice evening for us. We see it as a special event and like to dress accordingly. But most don't. Our last Chef's Table was in March on Serenade. Most everyone dressed at least in shirt and slacks and nice dresses or pantsuits. However 2 guys came in worn out cargo pants, faded polo style shirts, and dirty sneakers. I found it inappropriate to the event, but not my problem. But after dinner, we were saying goodby to the Sommelier for the evening, and he made a very direct comment about their dress. Not judging (ok I am a bit). But to be honest, if you go, it's a nice, fairly luxurious, dining event. Takes about 3 hours. Business casual isn't asking too much. By the way, it states "Formal wear" on the website. But again, business casual is very acceptable.

Another tip. They will adjust the menu for individuals with likes, dislikes, or allergies. Just call ahead and let them know, then I always double check when we arrive. My wife is allergic to any seafood. They usually substitute a chicken or something for any seafood dish. Now, it isn't as good as what the rest of us get, but she's always found it good.

Anyway, if you book it, check it out on board for maximum number of people, and venue in which it's held.

Totally agree. We love going to Chef's Table also, and found our last one (Serenade)

to be the very best of all. It is separate room off to the side of the aft lounge on deck six.

Limited to 12 people (only 12 chairs). The food and service were fantastic.

I was going through Gluten sensitivity at that time, and they cheerfully accommodated

me with a gluten free meal. My pasta was even better than the regular one that the DH

had, and I offered samples to others who agreed (plate was huge!).

Edited by island lady

It is Oasis next February. A long way off yet.

We have done wine tasting classes on HAL and Princess. HAL's advanced class was nice with a small plate of appetizers and desserts to pair with the wines. We really liked that a lot, so this is really exciting!

We went to Chefs Table aboard Majesty and it was a wonderful experience. The wine flowed, interacting with the Chef and staff, as well as the other guests, was truly a dinner to remember.

I would say you would be remiss if you don't take up this unique dining experience. Well worth the extra $ charged.

We had six courses with either 6/7 different wines, one for each course. A glass or two of champagne to start.

We thought about coming back another night but were told they use the same menu for about 6 months, or probably the length of a staff contract.

Don't pass up this opportunity. I think this event is likely to fill up once the word gets out.

Here's the Chef's Table menu I posted on another thread - we enjoyed this menu on Liberty on May 10, so it's fairly recent.

MILLE FEUILLES OF VEGETABLES

"en vinaigrette"

Tuiles of parmesan and fresh basil pesto

Kim Crawford, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

SWEET PEA SOUP

Crisp of prosciutto, extra virgin olive oil, garnished with poached quail eggs

Reisling, Prum Blue, Germany

BRAISED SHORT RIB RAVIOLI

Green & liver sauce, truffle perfumed gravy

Spy Valley, Pinot Noir, New Zealand

BRANDY FLAMBEED LOBSTER

Sweet potato puree, capsicum coulis, lemon butter sauce

Chateau Aussieres, Chardonnay, Languedoc, France

PRIME BEEF TENDERLOIN MEDIUM

Smoked mashed potato, morel sauce

La Vite Lucent, Tuscany, Italy

CHOCOLATE SABOTAGE

Duo of Chocolate Mousse, Ganache, Cardamom Lava cake

Moscato, Castello Del Poggio, Italy

Our Chef's Table on Liberty was held in the Windjammer, which I was a little apprehensive about, but it turned out to be a perfect location. We met in a lounge for a glass of champagne first and then proceeded as a group to the WJ. As you enter the WJ, the right side was open for dinner that evening. The lighting is different in the evening, so it actually looked inviting. The left side was closed to the general public, and our Chef's table was set up with white linens and lots of wine glasses (very pretty table) on the empty left side. We were across from the grill area so we could see our courses being prepared. It was actually a very nice quiet place for the dinner - I was pleasantly surprised.

The food was outstanding and we enjoyed all the wines paired with the courses. The wine pours were generous and second pours were also available. If anyone has questions about the courses we ate, ask quick before I forget....;):o:p

Judy

I went for the 2 nights that were offered on the Legend Panama Canal a year ago. They both were an amazing experience. There were different menu's for each night. Most people were dressed up a bit. One woman was in a sun dress and her husband was in a Hawaiian shirt. It was fine. We were offered a discount for the 2nd night. Not sure why, but my guess is they needed to fill the spots. We would have paid full price though! :p At the end of the dinner on the 2nd night we lingered a bit chatting with the Chef and he went back into the kitchen and came back with a couple of Royal Caribbean Cook Books (coffee table worthy) for us. Royal provided the WOW on this one.

I plan on attending again if they offer it on my Harmony cruise!

...we enjoyed this menu on Liberty on May 10, so it's fairly recent.

Chef's Table on Liberty was held in the Windjammer, which I was a little apprehensive about, but it turned out to be a perfect location.

The food was outstanding and we all the wines paired with the courses. The wine pours were generous and second pours were also available. If anyone has questions about the courses we ate, ask quick before I forget....;):o:p

Judy

Thanks Judy for providing the menu! We are going over Thanksgiving and I had not ever thought about it before...but it sounds like a wonderfully unique experience.

Do you book this on board or before-hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums