There's been talk here whether Istanbul will be dropped by "X". Breaking News.

A Sixth?

Sorry but I can't find this. I find lots of advertisements and other information. I will be flying out of Istanbul on September 7th and wondered if this cruise has Piraeus down as an alternative on their site.

I am due to pay the balance today!

The Equinox has a berth booked in Piraeus on that day

Link to PDF of schedule here:

http://www.olp.gr/en/cruise-greece/cruise-programme/item/download/7680_47c12f0f5615865cbb74b5fbbfcc5b84

Oddly the web site is still allowing a fake booking including flights and hotel in Istanbul for the 9th july cruise Out of Athens into Istanbul (uk web site it also hasn't the banner alert)

Edited by fragilek

For those worried about flights to catch their cruise ship in Turkey, I just heard on the news this morning that there are 3 flight scheduled to depart JFK for Istanbul today that have not been cancelled. Call Choice Air to rebook if you need to.

For those worried about flights to catch their cruise ship in Turkey, I just heard on the news this morning that there are 3 flight scheduled to depart JFK for Istanbul today that have not been cancelled. Call Choice Air to rebook if you need to.

won't help much if the ship is now in athens

We're booked to sail out of Istanbul in November and we're flying nonstop from Montreal to Istanbul. Maybe connecting to go via Montreal might be an option for you.

If your flying out of Toronto or Montreal, chances are that Delta may have a code share flight on Air Canada. That being said, yesterday, June 28, Air Canada announced that it has cancelled flights to/from Istanbul until further notice.

If your flying out of Toronto or Montreal, chances are that Delta may have a code share flight on Air Canada. That being said, yesterday, June 28, Air Canada announced that it has cancelled flights to/from Istanbul until further notice.

The FAA in the U.S. did the same, the operative word is "immediate". One would think Flights would resume in the near term.

"All immediate Air Canada flights to and from Istanbul were cancelled after twin bombings on Tuesday killed dozens of people at Turkey’s Ataturk Airport, one of the world’s busiest international travel hubs".

I am supposed to be finishing our cruise in Sept in Istanbul, and flying home from this airport! Time for me to re-think my cruise! Celebrity, time for you to also re-think your ports!

We are touring Slovenia and Croatia just prior to cruise - will be flying Turkish Airways to Ataturk Airport in Istanbul and connecting to Slovenia. We are not changing any plans - !@#$ the terrorists!

We are touring Slovenia and Croatia just prior to cruise - will be flying Turkish Airways to Ataturk Airport in Istanbul and connecting to Slovenia. We are not changing any plans - !@#$ the terrorists!

some cruises have already changed to start and end in Athens instead- not sure how far into summer this continues- but I would check with celebrity before you book your flights

I agree. This can happen anywhere, anytime and to be honest I expect security now to be even tighter than ever in Istanbul. How sad it would be if everyone around the world decided many years ago it was too unsafe to visit New York City.

Also Turkey is trying to do something about this, that is exactly why this happened. They are fighting the enemy and that is why they have been attacked. This is exactly what these terror groups want to scare everyone and ruin cities/countries that depend on tourism.

Terror groups aren't out to to something as banal as scare tourists. Terror groups want to institute a Caliphate and Sharia law against all us Western Infidels.

Turkey's agenda has been to fight the Kurds. The terror bombing in Turkey was likely an ISIS funded plot.

History has shown us what can happen when people shrug their shoulders and put blinders on that minimize the threat of a rising enemy. The 1938 appeasement of Germany - the Munich Pact - where UK handed over an ethnic German area of Czech to Hitler and declared victory in diplomacy and "peace" is a good example.

I can almost hear a Cruise Critic contingency saying "I love Munich and the governments are working to keep peace so we can travel there ;)"

The situation in Europe is dangerous and, although each person has their own risk tolerance, I think cruise lines and tourist agencies are prudent to consider security when making decisions on where to bring tourists.

It is now confirmed that X are sailing into and out of ATHENS on 16th July.

Where is the confirmation for the 16th July departure from Istanbul being chang d to Athens?

Not on their website.

Just got this sent to me by my friend who is on the same cruise as me. He got a reply on FB from them - looks like it is moving to Athens.

Sorry for the size, here is what it says:

"After reviewing all of the available information and along with discussions with our Global Security team in Miami, we have decided to cancel all of Celebrity Cruises’ upcoming turns in Istanbul, Turkey, and replace them with Athens (Piraeus), Greece.

This decision was made with the safety of our guests and crew at the forefront of our minds and in an abundance of caution. We realize this may have an impact on our guests’ travel plans and our team is working now on available alternative arrangements from this new port of embark and debarkation.

We sincerely apologize for the impact on your cruise and will revert throughout the day with more details. We understand how important your vacation is and we did not take this decision lightly.

Thank you so much for your patience as we work through the details."

Capture.jpg.38ced349f94c8609e39d622f072072ed.jpg

Edited by JonnyCT81

I really wish they would send out something official, because even on their facebook page that is not there. that looks like it is a message and how do we know which cruises they are referring to?

There is a new alert on their website now. Here is the picture:

Capture.jpg.0366a9a1bca686174d97955031aa02b1.jpg

Good Morning -- Here's the Banner information from the Celebrity Site...

Statement on cancelled calls to Istanbul, Turkey

Celebrity Cruises

June 29, 2016

Like all of you, Celebrity Cruises is aware of the bombing at Istanbul Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the attack.

After reviewing all of the available information and discussions with our Global Security team in Miami, we have decided to cancel all of Celebrity Cruises’ upcoming turns in Istanbul, Turkey, and replace them with Athens (Piraeus), Greece.

This decision was made with the safety of our guests and crew at the forefront of our minds and in an abundance of caution. We realize this may have an impact on your travel plans and our team is working now on available alternative arrangements from this new port of embark and debarkation. We sincerely apologize for the impact on your cruise and will revert throughout the day with more details. We understand how important your vacation is and we did not take this decision lightly.

Thank you so much for your patience as we work through the details.

I have just had a reply to an email I sent to celebrity uk this morning regarding Istanbul and the reply states that it is no longer going to be used. I have been advised that we will be contacted about changes to itinery and flights as we booked a fly cruise deal for cruise from Istanbul to Abu Dhabi on 14/11 on constellation.

Istanbul has been dropped by several cruise lines as safety is paramount. It is a shame as I love the city , but the decision has to be right. With regards to the med . its a very big place and I am sure each port will be risk assessed .

With regard to the politics , I'm not going there :)