If you had to pick an older ship...

JYeagersGrl

If you had to pick one of the older ships in the Carnival fleet which one would it be and why? We are looking to sail out of Tampa, Orlando or Jax. We've sailed the fascination and weren't amazed (it wasn't bad just had been on such newer ships it was blah) so I'm scared to sail an older ship. I want to book Magic but not sure we can do it with the other things we have planned.

How about the Valor. It sails out of Port Canaveral. Valor also has a great band (Music Boardwalk) on it until November.

We are also from PA... but would stay home rather than drive. Hubby not a happy flyer, but not bad if you can find something direct. Xanax or Jack Daniels can help ease anxiety, lol. But if that still isn't an option, I still like fantasy class. We just sailed on Sensation out of Miami. Had a fine time. Staff was superb, food good, entertainment OK. We aren't too picky, as others seem to be. My worst day on a cruise is far better than any day at work!! Good luck finding something that works for you!! ;)

Also from PA! would definitely not drive to FL but we are going to try the Pride out of Baltimore since it is close enough to drive to for our next cruise which will be smaller than the ones we have been on in the past but I'm sure it will still be great!

Ecstasy was the first ship we cruised on and still my favorite. Not too big and easy to get around on. However, I am fascinated by pictures of CCL Empress class ships. I wish they had kept one of the old girls. Maybe it could have been used to pick up passengers at one port and take them to another so they could embark on a larger ship for a regular cruise. Sad to think Carnival Mardi Gras and her sisters, Carnivale and Festivale, are no more.

Ecstasy was the first ship we cruised on and still my favorite. Not too big and easy to get around on. However, I am fascinated by pictures of CCL Empress class ships. I wish they had kept one of the old girls. Maybe it could have been used to pick up passengers at one port and take them to another so they could embark on a larger ship for a regular cruise. Sad to think Carnival Mardi Gras and her sisters, Carnivale and Festivale, are no more.

See my photo of the trio way up above in this thread. Those former ocean liners had a charm we'll never see again. It really wasn't age, but SOLAS and steam turbine propulsion that did them in. :(

Noticed you've sailed on the Legend and Miracle, they're my favorite ships.

Maybe you can check out sailing on the Pride out of Baltimore. A friend of mine and family did a cruise last year on the Pride and had a great time. They drove down from Long Island and parking was reasonable. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
If you had to pick one of the older ships in the Carnival fleet which one would it be and why? We are looking to sail out of Tampa, Orlando or Jax. We've sailed the fascination and weren't amazed (it wasn't bad just had been on such newer ships it was blah) so I'm scared to sail an older ship. I want to book Magic but not sure we can do it with the other things we have planned.

We've been cruising for a long time, and we like the "older," smaller ships rather than the "mega" ships, so I would definitely say our choice lately has been the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore.

Just noticed this was an older post.

Edited by fair-winds39
After posting, realized original post was old.

I would sail on a Conquest Class ship. We had great cruises on the Conquest, Freedom and Liberty. They were even better after the 2.0 upgrades. Liberty is going back to drydock in December, so I would probably pick her, after the drydock.