If you had to pick an older ship...

JYeagersGrl

It's a heck of a drive to Orlando for us we are in Pennsylvania. Would be in Orlando for vacation. Miami with 3 kids in the car would be suicide I'm already ready to jump in front of a moving vehicle to Orlando haha.

You might want to check out Alliegent Air in to Orlando Sanford. If you were not happy with your last Fantasy class cruise, I don't see why you would spend your money on that when you could put the same resources towards air and car rental.

Save the cruise for next trip. As others have mentioned, Pride out of Baltimore is a great option for you.

If you found Fascination "blah" and found a lack of on board options, avoid that class altogether. Fantasy now has Guys and Blue Iguana and Ecstasy are getting those, but they are just limited hours food options.

My husband won't fly so checking out an airline doesn't help either. I was looking into the Paradise mainly. I've had a lot of friends who cruised the pride lately and had awful experiences. We still had a blast on the fascination it wasn't an awful cruise just wasn't what we had gotten used to with all the line hopping we've done lately. Like we did Disney not too long ago loved it but at the same time would I ever so it again nope it's too expensive and comparable to any other cruise although their private island is still my favorite. I think if it was just my husband and I it would of been more enjoyable on the fascination.

I would stay home then go on an old clunker.

I almost agree with this poster. I would book a land vacation instead, maybe to a port I really enjoyed, like a hotel on West Bay Beach near Tabayana in Roatan. Then I would cruise again on a "newer" ship when I could had the time and opportunity to do so.

I just got off the Conquest and noted that it's showing its age. The Conquest class ships are now getting to the same age as the Fantasy class when I stopped sailing on those.

Had I not sailed on newer ships like the Magic or NCL Breakaway, I probably wouldn't mind the age of the Conquest class. But having done so, I do see and feel a huge uptick in the ship's environment when sailing on the newer shipss. Vista is next!

Edited by evandbob

We have cruised the Fascination, Sensation and Imagination a few times. They are all exactly the same so go with the more convenient port, cheaper cruise or best ports of call.

We liked the smaller older ships. Not so crowded and easy to navigate. We also cruised the Glory and the lines for everything were long (to anytime dining, to get back on the ship, for the buffet, etc). Also the layout was a bit of a pain with where the one MDR was located.

We cruised the Pride a couple times and liked it. Very easy to navigate and the lines weren't as bad as on the Glory.

I don't know your criteria for "older" but we love the Spirit Class ships and in August we will sail on the Legend which is our last of the class as we have sailed on the other three many times.

Enjoy.

Thanks I think we are just gonna book the breakaway it's about the same price but local just a slightly different time of year.

The NCL Breakaway is a beautiful ship and has many entertainment and food options.

I just sailed the Breakaway at the end of May to Bermuda from NY. Had 3 days in Bermuda to explore the island. I'll return for a 14 day cruise from NY in January!

If you can book with one or more of the free options, like a drink package or dining it's even better.

I'd do "Paradise" out of Tampa. I've sailed that ship, out of that port, many, many times, and always had a GREAT time aboard. C.D. has retired, "Steve Cassel", and the replacement "Calvyn" isn't my favorite, but most people really seem to like him, so it's probably just me. I have no doubt that you'd enjoy a "Paradise" cruise.

"SKY"

If you had to pick one of the older ships in the Carnival fleet which one would it be and why? We are looking to sail out of Tampa, Orlando or Jax. We've sailed the fascination and weren't amazed (it wasn't bad just had been on such newer ships it was blah) so I'm scared to sail an older ship. I want to book Magic but not sure we can do it with the other things we have planned.

You will find all of Carnival's older ships are very similar since they are all Fantasy class ships. If you want something different, you'll have to choose another class of ship. If you've already ruled out Magic, that just leaves Victory, Valor, or, depending on when you want to cruise, Sunshine starting mid-November. (Based on your stated ports of embarkation.)

Edited by winddawn

We are also from PA... but would stay home rather than drive. Hubby not a happy flyer, but not bad if you can find something direct. Xanax or Jack Daniels can help ease anxiety, lol. But if that still isn't an option, I still like fantasy class. We just sailed on Sensation out of Miami. Had a fine time. Staff was superb, food good, entertainment OK. We aren't too picky, as others seem to be. My worst day on a cruise is far better than any day at work!! Good luck finding something that works for you!! ;)

Thanks I think we are just gonna book the breakaway it's about the same price but local just a slightly different time of year.

You made the right choice. Breakaway isn't only better than CCLs old ships, it's better than their newer ships too.

The NCL Breakaway is a beautiful ship and has many entertainment and food options.

I just sailed the Breakaway at the end of May to Bermuda from NY. Had 3 days in Bermuda to explore the island. I'll return for a 14 day cruise from NY in January!

If you can book with one or more of the free options, like a drink package or dining it's even better.

That's what we are looking at may to bermuda. We did it a few years ago for our neighbors wedding and really liked being there for 3 days. I just hope the water will be warm enough. We can book the kids basically free and then one of the other options probably going with food as I can't drink alchol for a year (won't be a year yet) due to a surgery I had and can't do carbonation or juice so the drink package would be pointless for me and it's a $200 service charge! Food is only $25 lol and we usually do bermuda on our own so no need for excursion money.

We are also from PA... but would stay home rather than drive. Hubby not a happy flyer, but not bad if you can find something direct. Xanax or Jack Daniels can help ease anxiety, lol. But if that still isn't an option, I still like fantasy class. We just sailed on Sensation out of Miami. Had a fine time. Staff was superb, food good, entertainment OK. We aren't too picky, as others seem to be. My worst day on a cruise is far better than any day at work!! Good luck finding something that works for you!! ;)

Very true a cruise is always better than being home or at work

I adore the Paradise, it is hands down my favorite ship. Sailed her 3 times last year. The size is perfect for me...I did sail the Fascination but hated the layout. I have not been on the Elation yet but hear good things.

I adore the Paradise, it is hands down my favorite ship. Sailed her 3 times last year. The size is perfect for me...I did sail the Fascination but hated the layout. I have not been on the Elation yet but hear good things.

Huh? The Paradise and Fascination have essentially identical layouts with the exception of the Paradise piano area, Promenade mid ship, which creates a bottle neck. Overall, fascination is in better condition and has 2.0 upgrades.

• 4 weeks later...
I can't say when it comes to Carnival, because we haven't sailed yet,

So we sailed, and I literally looked everywhere to find things on Inspiration (which is getting to be fairly old now) to find fault with. I hardly found anything at all except...

A non-functional call button for one of the elevator banks on deck 6 aft.

An out of place rock on one of the mini golf course holes.

A couple of broken fluorescent light covers on the stairs between the different aft decks (the one between deck 7 and 8 quite badly).

A clock in the passageway just outside the spa that was twisted so that 5 after 6 looked like 5 o'clock.

And (this is the big one) for some reason an extraordinary number of lights burned out. Where I noticed this most is in the Candlelight Lounge and in the LED strips in the Carnivale Dining Room.

Other than those few small things, I found Inspiration to be a very well maintained vessel and a credit to both her crew and the line.

Personally, if my only choice was a Fantasy class ship, I wouldn't be sailing. I honestly think they should all be sold off/scrapped.

Conquest is as low as I would go and the itinerary would have to be out of this world for it to happen. Dream class and above is my true preference.