Picture-A-Week-2016 - Week 28

I was in NYC this week visiting my daughter who lives there. This was my first trip there. Here are a few of the pictures from my trip.

A very large street mural taken from the Highline walkway.

IMG_1832_pt-Edit-1.jpg

A Tiffany glass piece in the Metropolitan Museum.

IMG_1934_pt-Edit-1.jpg

Lady Liberty's tablet.

IMG_2008_pt-1.jpg

The new World Trade Center, almost chameleon like in how it reflects the clouds.

IMG_2021_pt-Edit-1.jpg

Missouri State Parks have a "Passport" program. You can get a book and get it stamped at each of the 88 state parks. I've hit 24 so far. Today I visited Babler State Park and took these shots:

Babler%20Butterfly-L.jpg

Babler%20Lucky%20Day2-L.jpg

Babler%20Bees-L.jpg

Babler%20Statue-L.jpg

Edited by pengu1n

While photographing this year's Sago palm flower, I noticed this little visitor. Since the tiny alien was only about an inch long, I had to dig out the macro lens and a tripod to get a decent photo.

Whatcha Lookin' At?

p2074058712-5.jpg

Dave

From our weekend (July 9-10) in Ohio's Amish Country, here below are some visual "eye-candy" to share. It was a super perfect weather period for our two days there. Lots of nice sunshine, no rain, mild temperatures, not too hot, etc. Plus, good food and company.

We have had a number of home furniture items made for our home in Amish Country. Such super workmanship, skilled finishes, etc. Their culture and traditions are very special. No TV or electricity at their homes. BUT, they are extremely creativity in how they balance their traditions in a modern world. Their wood and furniture items are very well designed, built, plus being being super good in the "value" department. Happy to answer any questions about the Amish in Ohio, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 214,565 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

The Amish do not use "modern" items, power over the wires, certain machines, etc. BUT, these people are very skilled, hard-working and smart. I grew up near these areas in eastern Ohio and have many friends/associates who have shared much about this area, the people, their approaches to life, etc. First, are the results for how they, by hand, do "shocking" of the field growth so that it dries and is ready later to be used to feed their livestock. Second is one of the many, many horse-drawn vehicles that we saw them using on Saturday and Sunday.:

July2016Pis7%201_zpsc1pv8knj.jpg

July2016Pis8%201_zpsc6wnuoc1.jpg

There is a unique and massive "hardware" store in Amish country called Lehman's. It's in Kidron. Just a small village, but this store is huge with an amazing and unique variety of items, displays, etc. Below are a couple of interesting observations. First, is a UK phone booth where one of the customers posed for my picture with some of the building's old barn timbers showing in the background. Does this look like the "real thing" from England? Second is a musical group performing live in their store that day and adding to the fun atmosphere.:

July2016Pis10%201_zpsj1ajws9d.jpg

July2016Pis9%201_zpssye5w6ad.jpg

After lunch at Mrs. Yoder's, our waitress brought around a sampling of their potential desserts. Any of these treats look good? Across the street from this dining spot in Mt. Hope, there was an auction happening. Here are four young Amish in their traditional dress walking with buggies showing in the background.:

July2016Pis13%201_zpsrjp1e3sy.jpg

July2016Pis11%201_zpsarqklfem.jpg

Here is the second part of our visuals from doing Ohio's Amish Country earlier this month. Look forward to any comments, questions, etc.

If you feel the need to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city or you want to enjoy rolling hills and well cared for farmsteads, come to Ohio Amish Country, home for one of the largest Amish settlement in the world.

The Amish are a group of traditionalist Christian church fellowships with Swiss Anabaptist origins. They are closely related to, but distinct from, Mennonite churches. The Amish are known for simple living, plain dress and a reluctance to adopt many conveniences of modern technology. The history of the Amish church began with a schism in Switzerland within a group of Swiss and Alsatian Anabaptists. In the early 18th century, many Amish and Mennonites immigrated to Pennsylvania for a variety of reasons. Later many from Pennsylvania then came to Ohio and other western areas.

Part of the attraction for visiting here is to feel yourself "unwinding" in driving the country roads and enjoying the rolling hills. This is considered the most visited tourist destination in Ohio. Ohio Amish Country is mostly in a four-county area of Ohio where approximately 40,000 Amish people live and work. It is centered around Holmes County, where nearly half the county's residents are Amish, plus Tuscarawas Coshocton, and Wayne Counties. Among the towns we visited included: Berlin, Millersburg, Charm, Farmerstown, Baltic, Walnut Creek, Winesburg, Becks Mills and New Bedford.

Two of the most common family names among the Amish are Miller and Yoder. One key attraction are the people . . . honest, friendly and hard-working. With no TV to watch, nor wasting time on video games, etc., things are well-kept and looking good in Amish country.

Among the attractions and options include: restaurants (mostly Amish cookin' made from "scratch"), antique shops, crafts, some of the best cheeses in the America, quilts (not only a way of life, but also a piece of art), horses (there are more horses than people in Ohio's Amish Country), country farmers' auctions just like the good old days, many furniture options made by the Amish and bakeries. Anything sound good and interesting?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 17,137 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here are some animal samples and visuals. This includes these horses with their buggies being tied up next to Mrs. Yoder's in Mt. Hope. Is the one horse trying to speak and tell me something? Second are a few of the daily cattle in Amish Country. Third is one of the cute lambs near out cottage at the Inn at Honey Run. Not sure of the exact breed name for this lamb, but it is a special type with a different face than we normally see with most lambs.:

July2016Pis12%201_zps3gbb4olu.jpg

July2016Pis17%201_zpsnyuuwxlb.jpg

July2016Pis15%201_zpsqmfnqlaf.jpg

Here are some other views from Sunday in Amish Country. This includes an insect on a colorful flower, three young girls along the roadway waving to visitors and finally another buggy samples out in the scenic countryside. Like?:

July2016Pis14%201_zpsc9c8mevo.jpg

July2016Pis16%201_zpssh8qrhi8.jpg

July2016Pis18%201_zpsrifxvlux.jpg