Travel Insurance Question

Hi,

When I booked my cruise back in March, I did not accept the insurance. I would like to purchase the insurance now. Final payment is not due yet until the end of the month. My paln is to purchase it before final payment. Is it too late to purchase it, or is there another company that allows you to purchase it before final payment.

Thank you

ML

you can call Royal Caribbean and ask if they can add it for you.

You can purchase it from other companies but to get any Pre existing Conditions waived the insurance has to be purchased within10-21 days after the booking date. Royal Caribbean has a 60 day look back period for pre existing conditions so if you wait for final payment the look back period is from then.

Also RCCL Medical insurance is secondary and only kicks in after your own insurance pays then they will pick up the rest.

The best insurance to get is primay medical travel insurance so you do not need to go through your own insurance first. Some private medical insurance will not cover you out of the USA and some will reimburse you after if you submit a completed claim form.

I have used Travel Guard and https://tinleg.com/, https://www.sevencorners.com/#start

I hope this helps

The RCCl insurance offers a cancel for any reason that many other companies do not offer.

Edited by twinsbur
added site

You can still purchase travel insurance, both Royal's Cruise Care and third party insurance.

Clarea, as our resident travel expert I'd like to ask you for a travel insurance recommendation. Who do you use? On close to home cruises from Galveston I'm mostly concerned with covering unexpected medical expenses as our deductible is super high.

Been researching plans but when I begin reading reviews I would prefer to take advice from fellow cc members.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Clarea, as our resident travel expert I'd like to ask you for a travel insurance recommendation. Who do you use? On close to home cruises from Galveston I'm mostly concerned with covering unexpected medical expenses as our deductible is super high.

Been researching plans but when I begin reading reviews I would prefer to take advice from fellow cc members....

I use what my travel agent provides, which is Travel Guard. However, I've not done any extensive comparison, so I can't say it's the best there is. It works for us.

Many companies sell travel insurance. If you don't speak the lingo comparing policies can be exasperating. Quite a few folks on cc speak highly of online agency insuremytrip dotcom which carries policies from a number of insurers.

You can also get good info in the Cruise/Travel Insurance board in the Cruise Discussion Topics forum.

Also check your personal insurance. I know our company (USAA) has travel insurance.

I just checked my Medicare supplement insurance with AARP and it will reimburse 80% for medical treatment in a foreign country as will my DW Kaiser policy.

That and a Medjet policy and I am ready for whatever follows.

Hi,

When I booked my cruise back in March, I did not accept the insurance. I would like to purchase the insurance now. Final payment is not due yet until the end of the month. My paln is to purchase it before final payment. Is it too late to purchase it, or is there another company that allows you to purchase it before final payment.

Thank you

ML

I have purchased it as late as a few days before boarding. I would never recommend purchasing travel insurance through the cruiseline. Check your options through a site like insuremytrip. I purchase CSA most of time.

Also check your personal insurance. I know our company (USAA) has travel insurance.

I just checked my Medicare supplement insurance with AARP and it will reimburse 80% for medical treatment in a foreign country as will my DW Kaiser policy.

That and a Medjet policy and I am ready for whatever follows.

Definitely a good idea to check.

Not everyone ahs that supplemental, that's for sure. We got it for MIL a few years ago; it's the cadillac of supplementals, and she pays through the nose for it! But she pays almost nothing for all her medical expenses.

Alas she doesn't want to travel internationally anymore, but if she did, and if she had a problem, she would be reimbursed 80% of medicare-OK'd charges.

I found this article that explains WHEN travel insurance can be purchased and PRE EXISTING CONDITIONS coverages across travel insurance providers. The most liberal seems to be CSA TRAVEL PROTECTION which is the company we usually buy from anyway.

http://www.thediabetescouncil.com/diabetes-travel-insurance-guide/

Disadvantages of going with the cruise line is conflict of interest if a claim were necessary. And cruise line insurance is usually more expensive.

From my experience, I usually search the web and compare prices along with coverages. If not sure, give them a call and discuss with the representative. Usually they are very helpful. This time around I picked Roam Right as they had better coverage for reasonable price and covers pre-existing if purchased within 21 days of initial deposit. For some folks pre-existing might not be so important, but for us it is, so I always try to include it if possible.