UBP and tipping

steveknj

I tend to tip more if the server has to travel to get my drink. So if I'm at the pool or a cocktail table, I'd tip extra but sitting at the bar I usually don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Would you do the job your children's teacher does for what they get paid? if not; do you give them a decent tip each semester?

Yes I would - many of their teachers get paid close to 6 figures, if not more. I always have gift cards for Christmas and end of year gifts.

Slightly off topic, but it s interesting how tip-creep has snuck in. A 10% tip used to be standard - up to 15% for superior service -- and anything down to 0% for poor service. Then 15% started being called standard. - now it is 18%.

Since the basic cost of the service has gone up with inflation, there was no need for the percentage creep. A $10 meal with a 10% tip would be $1. With doubling of basic cost that $10 meal is now $20 - and the 18% tip is $3.60. So, while the basic service went up 100%, the tip has gone up 260%.

When was 10% standard? Not in my lifetime.

When was 10% standard? Not in my lifetime.

Lol I was wondering the same. Im over 50 and its been 15% my whole life, my mom made me figure it out starting when I was 6. I think they've been crappy tippers their whole life.:(

But as I said earlier, tipping extra is at your discretion, and it is a nice thing to do. As i standardly tip at least 20%, I have no problem tipping extra for good service.If you do, then do not. It is clear from these tipping threads why gratuity is included.:p

• 1 month later...

Just got back from a cruise with NCL and had the UBP. I tipped $1 every time for the two drinks we would order, no matter what bar. I don't care what others do or don't do but I feel for myself, it's the right thing to do. But...I also do not drink all day and night!!!

The servers work hard and I overheard abuses from customers at times. It's a tough job, with low pay.