Seeking Suggestions - First Time on Viking Ocean

artbcpa

In September we will be taking our first Viking Ocean cruise. We are experienced cruisers, but have several questions and are looking for guidance from those of you have previously sailed on Viking Ocean.

Excursions - as we were looking over the excursions a couple of thoughts came to mind.

1. Most ocean cruises we have taken usually have some sea days. This one doesn't. Does Viking have enrichment programs on their port days? How would you rate the quality of the enrichment programs? How would you rate the quality of the entertainment?

2. We normally book private excursions so we can get a better, more personal experience. We were wondering what your experience has been both with Viking's included and extra charge excursions. We do like the fact that they use the headphone system on their included excursions, which most other ocean cruise lines do not.

Dining - We made our reservations for the Italian specialty restaurant, but were uncertain about the Chef's Table since we do not drink. Is the food itself special enough for two "foodies" who don't drink?

Thanks for your input. We appreciate your opinions.

In September we will be taking our first Viking Ocean cruise. We are experienced cruisers, but have several questions and are looking for guidance from those of you have previously sailed on Viking Ocean.

Excursions - as we were looking over the excursions a couple of thoughts came to mind.

1. Most ocean cruises we have taken usually have some sea days. This one doesn't. Does Viking have enrichment programs on their port days? How would you rate the quality of the enrichment programs? How would you rate the quality of the entertainment?

2. We normally book private excursions so we can get a better, more personal experience. We were wondering what your experience has been both with Viking's included and extra charge excursions. We do like the fact that they use the headphone system on their included excursions, which most other ocean cruise lines do not.

Dining - We made our reservations for the Italian specialty restaurant, but were uncertain about the Chef's Table since we do not drink. Is the food itself special enough for two "foodies" who don't drink?

Thanks for your input. We appreciate your opinions.

On port days, the on board activities are limited. Most people are ashore.

As for entertainment, there was a solo guitarist, a solo violinist and a solo pianist on board as well as a violin-flute-bass trio and singers and dancers. The were no big "productions" shows but lots of Broadway and similar easy listening--and some opera. The classical instruments played a variety of popular and classical music. No Taylor Swift. No Justin Bieber. From 4pm until 10 pm, there was live music in at least 1 venue on the ship if not more. Music accompanied tea in Wintergarden each afternoon. Pre-dinner music in the Atrium. "Shows" in the Star Theater each night. Popcorn movies under the stars most nights. Enrichment lectures on sea days and mornings when we didn't arrive in port til after lunch. Port (not shopping) talks every evening.

Yes, they do have the QuietVox listening devices. The problem is that they are not necessarily used on every tour. ALSO, the QVs on the Sea allow you to use your own head sets--anything with a standard headset jack. I find that the headsets that are provided cannot be used comfortably in either ear and I am thrilled that there is now a BYO option. Even though I brought a couple of headsets for us, we ended up using the freebies we got on the plane coming over.

Chef's Table -- I saw one of the fixed menus for the Chef's Table and would say yes, you can enjoy the experience without the wine. We certainly plan to on our next cruise. Couldn't do it this go round because of too many personal food restrictions among our party of four.

Shorex: I would suspect that for those who are accustomed to always doing private tours that no matter who is arranging it, that a tour with 30 or so other people is still a tour with 30 or so other people. Things will always move more slowly. There will always be wait time as buses load and unload and the entire group makes its way into the venue. The tours will never cover as much ground as a private tour for one or two couples.

1. Most ocean cruises we have taken usually have some sea days. This one doesn't. Does Viking have enrichment programs on their port days? In the evening there are lectures. We never stayed on the ship during the day--out exploring the ports--but I'm pretty sure there weren't programs during the day. People would be upset, don't you think, if interesting things were going on while they were out on their excursions? I know I wouldn't like it much. How would you rate the quality of the enrichment programs? We were very pleasantly surprised at how good the speaker was on our ship, the Star-- the one who told us about the ports we'd be visiting. He really held our attention. Same thing with the woman lecturer who gave a series of three talks. Of course you'd probably have someone entirely different on your cruise, but if the people we listened to were indicative of the quality of people whom Viking hires, you're in for a treat. How would you rate the quality of the entertainment? Loved the music! Especially our Beatles tribute show by the pool. Everyone was dancing that night. We attended the musical and given the small stage and the lack of elaborate stage sets that the big ocean cruisers enjoy, we thought the performers did an admirable job. It was a fun performance. The theatre itself is lovely and very comfortable. I'd rate all the entertainment very highly.

2. We normally book private excursions so we can get a better, more personal experience. We were wondering what your experience has been both with Viking's included and extra charge excursions. We do like the fact that they use the headphone system on their included excursions, which most other ocean cruise lines do not. We did only the included excursions though we have plenty of experience on other cruise lines with private tours. Frankly, it was a crap shoot. We had one guide who was extraordinarily good. She loved her city, had enthusiasm, and best of all, had a unique way of looking at things which she communicated with great charm. We had another guide whose English was heavily accented (trust me, French only sounds charming in the movies :rolleyes: ) and who moved so slowly that I thought I'd do a face plant on the sidewalk if we went any slower. Maybe it was our fault? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps we signed up for the lesser mobility tour without knowing it. We had better luck, however, with our morning tours than our afternoon tours. The morning guides were more energetic. Fluke? I dunno.

Dining - We made our reservations for the Italian specialty restaurant, but were uncertain about the Chef's Table since we do not drink. Is the food itself special enough for two "foodies" who don't drink? We didn't do the Chef's Table but thought the rest of the food--whether it was in the dining room, restaurant, or buffet--was excellent. Very fresh and beautifully prepared. The sushi in the buffet is worth seeking out. And if they have liver on the menu one evening, don't turn your nose up at it. I'd have gone for seconds if I weren't already full from the firsts. Yes. Liver. I scraped my plate.

Thanks for your input. We appreciate your opinions.My pleasure. I hope you like your Viking cruise as much as we did ours!

EXCURSIONS - After reading many reviews it seems the Included excursions can be hit or miss affairs so we decided to do private tours at those ports which hold the most interest. In the end we opted for 4 included; 2 Viking extras & 3 private excursions.

SPECIALITY RESTAURANTS - I'm not a drinker either (my wife is), but I believe the food at the Chefs Table will be well worthwhile (and not necessarily be enhanced by a drop of red or white!)

Edited by Fitzall

Thank you so much for your responses. They have been very helpful.

This is what we have done so far. If you have any comments (positive or negative), we would love to hear them. Most of the reservations can be cancelled.

Venice - we are coming in early (on our own), but staying at the same hotel as the pre-cruise from the ship so we can meet some of our fellow passengers. (I had points so it is basically a freebie.)

We decided to wait on the gondola ride and make a decision there. The reviews we saw were very mixed. Other than that we haven't yet made any plans for Venice.

The first night on the ship we wanted to eat at the main dining room in a large table to meet other passengers.

Koper, Slovenia - In the morning we are doing the hop-on, hop-off bus. In the afternoon we are doing the included walking tour. That evening we are going to the Chef's Table. (Thank you for your input.)

Zadar, Croatia - in the morning and early afternoon, we are taking a non-included Viking tour - Historic Sibenik and Culinary Delights. That night we have reservations at Manfred's Italian restaurant.

Dubrovnik, Croatia - we are taking an outside private tour

Kotor. Montenegro - We were told we have to wake up early for the sail-in. Then we are taking a 5-hour outside private tour of Kotor-Perast-Lady of the Rock

Corfu, Greece - We are taking one of those Corfu Taxi tours that have such high ratings on Trip Advisor and then spending a little time at the beach.

Olympia, Greece - This is our toughest decision. The ship has a very interesting tour that includes ancient Olympia and Greek food, but we are torn between that and an outside private tour where we will have more flexibility. That night we are again eating at Manfred's Italian restaurant.

Santorini, Greece - We have been to Santorini before, so we opted for the included tour, Summits and Countryside, which gives us the whole afternoon off. We figured we would need it.

Athens, Greece - Again we opted for the included tour, Panorama Athens and Archaeological Museum. That evening we decided to take the non-included dinner tour, Sweeping Acropolis Vistas and Dinner in the Plaka. In the past we have had a wonderful time with ship sponsored outside dinners. We are hoping it will be the same with this one.

The next morning we disembark, but we are staying a couple of days in Athens. We were there before but only for a day. Even though they were in the middle of one of their many strikes we really loved the city. We haven't made any plans yet except for the hotel. If anyone has any suggestions, we would love to hear them.

Thank you once again for all your input.

Edited by artbcpa

This is what we have done so far. If you have any comments (positive or negative), we would love to hear them. Most of the reservations can be cancelled.

Venice - we are coming in early (on our own), but staying at the same hotel as the pre-cruise from the ship so we can meet some of our fellow passengers. (I had points so it is basically a freebie.)

We decided to wait on the gondola ride and make a decision there. The reviews we saw were very mixed. Other than that we haven't yet made any plans for Venice.

The first night on the ship we wanted to eat at the main dining room in a large table to meet other passengers.

Instead of a gondola ride, I would recommend the Avventure Bellissime Grand Canal & Secret Venice Boat Tour

http://tours-italy.com/tour-234/small-group-grand-canal-and-secret-venice-boat-tours

You start at the Royal Gardens park near St. Mark's and board a water taxi with a driver and a guide. The itinerary covers all six sestieres of Venice, including a walk through the Jewish ghetto and another walk that goes past the gondola repair shop. You go through many of the small canals (rios), and part of the Grand Canal. [We also got to sail into the Arsenale, but I think it was only open because of the Biennale so at other times they may not be able to do that part.] I would do this tour the first morning, because it is a terrific introduction to Venice.

The other tour I would recommend is Walks of Italy VIP Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica

https://www.walksofitaly.com/venice-tours/alone-in-st-marks-basilica-tour

You meet at the far end of Piazza San Marco as the church is closing to the public. After a brief narration about the outside of the church, you go in to the darkened church -- and they start turning on the lights. It is magical! You can see everything, because there are no crowds. You also get to go up on the main altar to examine the gold and jeweled altarpiece (which can only be appreciated close up), and down into the crypt.

Finally, don't waste money on a guided tour of the lagoon islands. Take the vaporetto and use Rick Steves' book as your guide. That way you will have the flexibility to do as much or as little glass and lace shopping (or window shopping, as we did). The highlights for us were the Glass Museum on Murano and Lidia's lace shop (which includes a free museum) on Burano. Rick's tour covers all four main islands, starting from Fundamente Nova. Instead we caught the express #7 from Zaccaria direct to Murano; after doing that island plus Burano we had had enough so we skipped Torcello and San Michele. [We did this immediately after the Canal Tour, so it was a full day! If you devote an entire day to the lagoon you could easily do all 4 islands.]

For more detail, see my blog in the link "Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016" in my signature [posts 20-31]

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Just wanted to weigh in on Chef's Table. It was our favorite (although Madfredi was excellent too) and we ate all four menus available on our cruise.

Menus were uniformly good, interesting and mildly challenging - nothing too exotic, but not your everyday items either. Of course, my favorite aspect of it was the wine pairings - not something I generally pay that much attention to - but they were notably well thought out. Having said that, I would still gladly dine without the wine.

Also, for what it's worth, we had no dining reservations upon boarding and ate where ever and almost whenever we wanted - usually within a 30 minute window of when we asked; maybe swapped a couple of days around.

Generally we were booking 2 or 3 days ahead. Ate four times at Chef's Table and twice at Manfredi's on a 14 night itinerary. We also had a table for two in each case. If we'd been willing to share, I think we could have gotten immediate seating just about anywhere. May give that a try next time since we often ended up talking to the folks next to us.

On our cruise at least, there was a mad rush for 6 and 6:30 reservations and then it opened up greatly.

Edited by cmaasfamily

Koper, Slovenia - In the morning we are doing the hop-on, hop-off bus. In the afternoon we are doing the included walking tour. That evening we are going to the Chef's Table. (Thank you for your input.)

Zadar, Croatia - in the morning and early afternoon, we are taking a non-included Viking tour - Historic Sibenik and Culinary Delights. That night we have reservations at Manfred's Italian restaurant.

Kotor. Montenegro - We were told we have to wake up early for the sail-in. Then we are taking a 5-hour outside private tour of Kotor-Perast-Lady of the Rocks

Thank you once again for all your input.

All looks very good.

These are the 3 spots where we're doing private tours (we're on the Athens-Venice route)

Kotor- Looking forward to the sail in also. As we're in port from 0800-2300, it will be Perast & Lady of Rocks, walking tour of Kotor & then drive up to Mt Lovcen for a walk & to look over the harbour (10.5 hr day) @ €85 p/p incl entrance fees etc via Adventure Montenegro. This will be our busiest day!

Zadar- wanted to go to Plitvice NP but was a bit too far, so opted for Krka NP to see the travertine waterfalls. Travel to Skradin and catch boat into/out of the park (optional cruise tour goes all the way by bus), tour around the park (lunch pack included), then return for walking tour of Zadar. (6.5 hrs @ €90 p/p) includes entrance fees etc via Zadar Guided Tours

Koper- Doing Postojna Caves & Predjama Castle Tour (6.5 hrs @ €99 p/p) incl entrance fees etc via Istranka D.O.O. Same as the optional Viking Tour but more personal.

I had booked Zadar/Koper before I saw the cruise prices for these optional tours. Glad I went the way I did!

Instead of a gondola ride, I would recommend the Avventure Bellissime Grand Canal & Secret Venice Boat Tour

http://tours-italy.com/tour-234/small-group-grand-canal-and-secret-venice-boat-tours

You start at the Royal Gardens park near St. Mark's and board a water taxi with a driver and a guide. The itinerary covers all six sestieres of Venice, including a walk through the Jewish ghetto and another walk that goes past the gondola repair shop. You go through many of the small canals (rios), and part of the Grand Canal. [We also got to sail into the Arsenale, but I think it was only open because of the Biennale so at other times they may not be able to do that part.] I would do this tour the first morning, because it is a terrific introduction to Venice.

The other tour I would recommend is Walks of Italy VIP Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica

https://www.walksofitaly.com/venice-tours/alone-in-st-marks-basilica-tour

You meet at the far end of Piazza San Marco as the church is closing to the public. After a brief narration about the outside of the church, you go in to the darkened church -- and they start turning on the lights. It is magical! You can see everything, because there are no crowds. You also get to go up on the main altar to examine the gold and jeweled altarpiece (which can only be appreciated close up), and down into the crypt.

Finally, don't waste money on a guided tour of the lagoon islands. Take the vaporetto and use Rick Steves' book as your guide. That way you will have the flexibility to do as much or as little glass and lace shopping (or window shopping, as we did). The highlights for us were the Glass Museum on Murano and Lidia's lace shop (which includes a free museum) on Burano. Rick's tour covers all four main islands, starting from Fundamente Nova. Instead we caught the express #7 from Zaccaria direct to Murano; after doing that island plus Burano we had had enough so we skipped Torcello and San Michele. [We did this immediately after the Canal Tour, so it was a full day! If you devote an entire day to the lagoon you could easily do all 4 islands.]

For more detail, see my blog in the link "Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016" in my signature [posts 20-31]

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We have already booked your recommended tours and will be following your wonderful description of how to visit the Lagoon Islands on our own.

We are still undecided about Athens and also need to find the best transportation alternatives for the arrival in Venice and departure from Athens to/from the airports. Are regular taxis the best way or is there a better alternative (for private not public transportation)?

Edited by artbcpa

We are still undecided about Athens and also need to find the best transportation alternatives for the arrival in Venice and departure from Athens to/from the airports. Are regular taxis the best way or is there a better alternative (for private not public transportation)?

I don't have links to them but there are a couple of websites that talk about transportation options to and from the various airports plus there are the airport websites themselves that also might talk about the options.

I could write a book about transportation in Venice, but since I'm about to turn off the computer, I'll just summarize: If you're going directly to the Hilton from the airport, the Alilaguna is probably the best alternative unless you want to cut down on the time a bit by hiring a private water taxi (expensive, though). To go from the hotel to the port, assuming you're at Maritimma, not San Basilio, Alilaguna is probably best.

We didn't do a gondola ride, despite the fact that many people consider them to be a must. If I had decided to do one, I think I would have found one on one of the smaller, less crowded and tourist-trampled canals. Most gondola rides seem to be pretty mass production, and I'd assume that the one Viking offers would be the same.

Definitely go to Chef's Table. Yes, there's lots of wine, but you can just tell your waiter you don't drink (as we did) and he/she will just skip the wine pairings. We loved Chef's Table.

The sail out of Kotor could potentially be just as great as the sail-in, if you sail out during daylight hours, of course. I have sunset pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/kotor_montenegro__sept_30_2015

The Athens included excursion is more of a bus ride in which you view a lot of the many places there are to view in Athens. We did it in the afternoon, and chose an optional tour in the morning (Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion), which was great.

Honestly, the Santorini included tour sounded like one of the least scenic of the included tours on our itinerary, which was similar to yours. Before or after the included excursion, I would spend some time in Fira, the town at the top of the cable car, just walking up and down the cliff. Well, really I'd probably just bag the excursion and either go on one of the optional ones, or else take the public bus up to Oia and spend 2/3 of the day there. However, I'm a bit of an independent soul, so you have to take my opinions on locations and excursions with a grain of salt. We rented a four-wheeler there and saw SO many wonderful things, but I know that's not for everyone.

Edited by roothy123

I didn't pick up that you were staying at the Hilton in Venice -- a wonderful hotel. You can take Alilaguna directly there, but the trip from the airport takes 1 1/2 hours and you have to deal with getting your luggage on the boat (which really doesn't have any good place to store it). A private water taxi costs 100 Euro and is a luxurious way to start your cruise. Going from the Hilton to Marittima the water taxi costs 50 Euro, but Alilaguna is very quick and dealing with your luggage would be less stressful. Those are really the only choices.

2 days after disembarkation at Venice, we will use Alilaguna to get to Marco Polo airport .... Around 70 mins from Ospedale stop ... Seems to be the most convenient.

Took the advice from this forum and have booked 'Walks of Italy VIP Alone in St. Mark’s Basilica' while in Venice.

Apart from walking around the city, I evidently have to buy my wife some earrings in Murano, so I guess we're going there! Visited Burano last time & it was also excellent.

Edited by Fitzall

One of the things I really like about CC is all the helpful information that people are willing to share. Thank you all.

Now we have to guess what the weather will be like. September is always such a difficult month. It can be VERY hot or it can actually be Fall...and we don't want to bring more luggage than we have to.

With all the problems in the world, isn't that a nice problem to worry about?