What is the best way to do this...

GalCruzer

We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale for our Cruise from the Miami Port. We won't be to FLL until 7 pm. Wondering is if is best to stay the one night in FLL and get a good nights rest then the next morning get over to the Miami Port?

For those who have done this, what was your plan? Where did you stay (whether it be Miami or FLL)? And what transportation did you use as far as to and from the airport and cruise port?

I know.a lot of questions but it's been over a year since my last cruise. And this is a first for my niece. Thanks for any and all info...

Stay in Fort Lauderdale...many great budget friendly hotels especially around 17th Street...my favorites are Embassy Suites & Hyatt Place...great location.

For transportation consider taxi from FLL to hotel or Hyatt has a free shuttle from FLL to their hotel and then next morning use Uber or private shuttle to POM.

Edited by Ashland

To the Miami Port October 2, then back on the 8th. Which brings me to also ask what is the quickest way back from the Port to take airport? You know to catch the flight back home.

Same as to get there..Uber or private shuttle.

Shared shuttles make this trip every day with 100's or 1000's of cruisers -- the drive between FLL and POM takes 45-60+ minutes.

SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others start at about $15 per person - discounts sometimes available for families and groups.

Uber will run about $45 or so; a taxi on the same route will be about $75-80 on the meter.

Stay in Fort Lauderdale...many great budget friendly hotels especially around 17th Street...my favorites are Embassy Suites & Hyatt Place...great location.

For transportation consider taxi from FLL to hotel or Hyatt has a free shuttle from FLL to their hotel and then next morning use Uber or private shuttle to POM.

Will definitely try to find those Hotels in that area.

Shared shuttles make this trip every day with 100's or 1000's of cruisers -- the drive between FLL and POM takes 45-60+ minutes.

SAS, QLS, MJS, Go Airport and others start at about $15 per person - discounts sometimes available for families and groups.

Uber will run about $45 or so; a taxi on the same route will be about $75-80 on the meter.

Thank you for those details. Will definitely look into goairport.

Will definitely try to find those Hotels in that area.

Thank you for those details. Will definitely look into goairport.

Try pricing Hyatt Place using

http://www.valuetrips.com

This site is a much used and a favorite on these boards to book HP.

Great discount rate and the hotel is right behind Embassy Suites next to the Harbor Shops that offers a Publix market, restaurants (Duffys) and lots of shopping options including across the street...convenient popular area for pre-cruise.

To the Miami Port October 2, then back on the 8th. Which brings me to also ask what is the quickest way back from the Port to take airport? You know to catch the flight back home.

Hyatt Place on valuetrips.com for your date runs 149$. You might find a better rate nearer the airport. Just depends on if you will be out and about that evening to enjoy the city. There are popular chains in the Dania Beach area. You can do the morning shuttle from the airport. So finding a hotel with free shuttle back and forth to FLL ( to catch your a.m. shuttle to POM) would save you more. You don't mention budget.

Is the a shuttle kiosk in FLL by the luggage claim that has shuttles that go to MIA or Miami hotels? We arrive around 7 pm too in Feb 2017 and hotels are very high....thanks so much

Go Airport has a desk inside the FLL airport - they can arrange transport to Miami hotels. Make a reservation on-line to have an idea of the fare

You might consider staying near FLL where comparable hotels are generally cheaper (and IMHO the area is much nicer than the area around the MIA airport), and then taking a shuttle to POM the next morning.

Edited by JohninDC

May have been old, but recent Google search says Uber not allowed at FLL.......?

TIA

We used SAS transportation to get from FLL to the Miami Intercontinental hotel, and then from the port to FLL. Both ends worked out well and we would use them again. We chose to stay in Miami because we were landing earlier in the day. With a 7PM arrival time, I'd probably stay near FLL and head to POM in the morning.

ETA: We got a great rate at the Intercontinental via Hotwire, and it was really fun to wake up and see the ship in port...

Edited by LisaLisa87

Does SAS only transport if you are staying at certain Hotels?

They list the hotels they pick up at on their web site, or you can catch them at the FLL airport. Once you choose a hotel I would also check with QLS and MJS - both are suggested frequently.

They list the hotels they pick up at on their web site, or you can catch them at the FLL airport. Once you choose a hotel I would also check with QLS and MJS - both are suggested frequently.

That's what I thought, you have to be staying at one of those Hotels. Or like you say can get them from the airport. But will check out those other also. Thanks

Been thinking about this, so wondering if we do this, how early should we get over to the Miami Port and how early will we be allowed to wait there?

Been thinking about this, so wondering if we do this, how early should we get over to the Miami Port and how early will we be allowed to wait there?

Really no need to arrive at POM too early (and probably best not to)....We have due to arriving on a red-eye into FLL...arriving at POM at approx 8:00am....no trouble handing over our luggage and being the first in line at the terminal door (yes that line grew very long very quickly) and even once the doors opened we still had a long wait...weren't on the ship until 11:30-12:00...Have breakfast...checkout of your hotel and then make your way there which will be approx 30-45 min drive...and miss all the mad early rush to get on.

Edited by Ashland

Most of the shuttles are busy bringing passengers from POM to FLL early in the morning, and do not start heading back to POM with boarding passengers until 10:00 or later.

We typically try to arrive at the port about 11-11:30 and are usually checked in and on the ship enjoying lunch in about an hour.

Most of the shuttles are busy bringing passengers from POM to FLL early in the morning, and do not start heading back to POM with boarding passengers until 10:00 or later.

We typically try to arrive at the port about 11-11:30 and are usually checked in and on the ship enjoying lunch in about an hour.

That sounds like a good time. Will give us enough time to get some breakfast and then can enjoy at least seeing the city of Miami on our ride in. :)