Freedom Voom

A bit unusual that the ping is the best yet, but the speeds have taken a hit.

Sometimes I wonder if the ship business is requiring them to upload a huge chunk of data, so everyone takes a hit.

Sometimes I wonder if the ship business is requiring them to upload a huge chunk of data, so everyone takes a hit.

I would assume the main router controlling internet traffic off the ship has separate dedicated BW just for ship business that would not impact the customers' portion of the BW (and you don't want customer use to impact ship business).

This seems a little like a foreign language to me.! I was wondering if Freedom's VOOM will let me take some internet classes? I'd guess it would be the equivalent of downloading a Netflix movie?

I know it doesn't sound like much fun or a great way to spend cruise-ship time, but I'd be happy to be able to spend a few quiet hours getting some CLE credits out of the way. I'll be solo on Freedom later this month.

This seems a little like a foreign language to me.! I was wondering if Freedom's VOOM will let me take some internet classes? I'd guess it would be the equivalent of downloading a Netflix movie?

I know it doesn't sound like much fun or a great way to spend cruise-ship time, but I'd be happy to be able to spend a few quiet hours getting some CLE credits out of the way. I'll be solo on Freedom later this month.

You should have no problem as long as you can take a bit of slowness now and then.

SuperMario uses the internet for work on Freedom, so if it's good enough for him it should be good enough for you.

Good morning... Docked at Cozumel. Looks like a great day for a trip to Nachi Cocum.

Ping=195

Down=6.24mb

Up=3.84mb

20 28 N

86 58 W

mac_tlc

Have fun at Nachi. Stay close to the pool area for the best WiFi.

Great day at Nachi. You're right Bob, just a few chairs away from the pool the wifi signal dropped a lot. But as we depart Cozumel,

Ping =194

Down=5.34mb

Up= 1.77mb

20 55 N

86 40 W

mac_tlc

On freedom as well,keep having to log back on several times a day,when I used it on Allure I logged on once and done.

Same here, currently on Freedom and having to reconnect many times a day I'm not referring to where you now get kicked off with 2 hours of inactivity, I'm talking about very often connection dropping. Happening to both DH and I so not my device, and I have heard several people talking about having issues too. When I'm on, no issues with the SURF package using email, Facebook, general web.

Nowhere near as good as the internet I experienced last year on Allure. Signed in once and never got kicked off! I was expecting similar, and no such luck.

Good morning, last day today .... :(

Ping= 219

Down = 7.18mb

Up= 2.27mb

I expect it to get a lot slower today, as everyone seems to be on line the last day .

23 46 N

82 17 W

Probably one more data point later today .

mac_tlc

We have surf + stream and can watch Netflix with no problem.

Thank you!

Can I ask when is it is that you watch Netflix? Do you watch anytime during the day? Just wondering if after returning from an excursion and I want to then just chill in my room, can I go out on my balcony and successfully watch Netflix?

Just keep thinking there might be all this buffering and logging out stuff.

Edited by batman79

One last data point as we pull into Port Canaveral.

Ping=298

Down = 7.69mb

Up=3.67mb

Tried to get a data point last night but it was very sssssllllooooowwww.

Not sure if it was the number of users or the incredible thunderstorms we went right through near Miami and FLL.

Hope folks found the info helpful...

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

One last data point as we pull into Port Canaveral.

Ping=298

Down = 7.69mb

Up=3.67mb

Tried to get a data point last night but it was very sssssllllooooowwww.

Not sure if it was the number of users or the incredible thunderstorms we went right through near Miami and FLL.

Hope folks found the info helpful...

mac_tlc

Very helpful, really appreciate you taking the time to share the info.

I like pictures more than words, so I tried an experiment. I took the internet speed data and plotted it on a map of our Western Caribbean route.

The markers are places where I took a reading. If you click on any one, you can see the latitude / longitude and the speed -- ping, download, upload --- format. Ping in ms, Down & Up in Mb.

There are probably easier methods than google maps, but......

This link should bring you to a "view-only" picture.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1_emBH29ux0O9p3FXsbyf0fXiHrs

Bob, Biker19 --- what do you think?

mac_tlc