Norwegian Jewel - Penthouse (SC) or Haven (H4)

jazzinj

Hi there,

I tried searching for the answer to this question but couldn't find the exact answer. I currently booked a 2br penthouse (SC) on the 11th floor on the Jewel, there's a 3rd and 4th guest free promo going on. I was wondering if it's worth the extra $2k (approx) to go to a Haven 2br? I don't even know if I can change it now even if it is - but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Jen

The H4 room is the same as the SC - the only difference is that the H4 will have access to the Haven and it's courtyard and sundecks, the SC will not.

Both rooms have butlers, access to the concierge, breakfast and lunch in Modernaro, and all the other priority stuff.

I guess it depends on how much the more private Haven area is worth to you.

The H4 room is the same as the SC - the only difference is that the H4 will have access to the Haven and it's courtyard and sundecks, the SC will not.

Both rooms have butlers, access to the concierge, breakfast and lunch in Modernaro, and all the other priority stuff.

Thanks - that's what I figured, have you experienced both? In your opinion, is the private courtyard, pool, etc worth it? I'm kind of torn about it - but I was considering getting the thermal spa package for all four of us and I'm wondering if moving to Haven is more worth it than that (I know it's not exactly the same price comparison).

Thanks - that's what I figured, have you experienced both? In your opinion, is the private courtyard, pool, etc worth it? I'm kind of torn about it - but I was considering getting the thermal spa package for all four of us and I'm wondering if moving to Haven is more worth it than that (I know it's not exactly the same price comparison).

No, the closest I have been is an SF suite on the Pearl.

There have been some cruisers last year who were invited to the Haven on Tracy Arm day - She posted some pics of the Haven area. I believe the thread was titled Welcome to the Jewel - you don't exist. The review is good, but long. The Tracy arm photos are near the middle of the review as it happens day 4 of the cruise - just after Juneau.

I think that the itinerary would make a big difference on how much it is worth. Somewhere warm where you are wanting to be out sunning it might be worth it to not have to worry that much about the chair hogs - however somewhere like AK it might not be worth as much - however the view from the outside deck might be worth it for the scenery - and easier access to it.

My first SC suite is coming up in 68 days - my MIL did OK with the SF, but I think she (and we) will enjoy the three separate rooms for added privacy.

We were on the Gem in an SF in February (same as the Jewel). We were invited to a reception in the Haven courtyard. I have to laugh whenever anyone calls that tiny little thing in there a "pool." Short, narrow. Nothing you can really swim in. (Well, maybe if you are 4 years old.)

Also, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the balconies on the H4s set back from the water, and hang over Deck 13 below? (That is, the Haven is set back from the outside of the ship, isn't it? Like a tiered wedding cake?)

Those are some potential negatives imho. We haven't sailed in the Haven, and I know people do enjoy it, but we didn't see anything that would make us leap at one, at least on the Jewel class ships.

Also, and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the balconies on the H4s set back from the water, and hang over Deck 13 below? (That is, the Haven is set back from the outside of the ship, isn't it? Like a tiered wedding cake?)

I've looked through my photos. Here's an enlarged photo of the starboard side of the Gem, showing the Haven area. You can see what I meant -- sort of a covering that extends over Deck 13; the actual Haven balconies look like they are set back.

Comments from anyone who has stayed in these on the Jewel class ships? (I imagine that looking straight out, you see the water; what do you see looking down?)

Haven%20closeup%201024x666_zpshvwh9wsb.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

I've looked through my photos. Here's an enlarged photo of the starboard side of the Gem, showing the Haven area. You can see what I meant -- sort of a covering that extends over Deck 13; the actual Haven balconies look like they are set back.

Comments from anyone who has stayed in these on the Jewel class ships? (I imagine that looking straight out, you see the water; what do you see looking down?)

(photo by turtles06)

The Jewel is the same , but no roof on the deck below.

So less privacy but more view.

It appears that as the later builds went on they changed the overhang on the Haven cabins. I have searched the various photos of the Jewel online and agree that the Gem is similar, the Jewel and Pearl have an extended Haven and the balconies do indeed go out to the edge of the ship. So if you look straight down you would see the sea.

On Jade H4 the balcony was perfect for 2 people, had comfy oversized wicker chairs with nice cushions and a small table. There was an awning below the balcony which was great as I didn't have to look down into someone else's space and could still see the ocean.

We loved the ship and haven so much we booked for January 2017.

• 1 month later...

There are a lot more exclusive amenities than just the haven courtyard, between haven and non-Haven suites. Might want to check them out https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/the-haven

There are a lot more exclusive amenities than just the haven courtyard, between haven and non-Haven suites. Might want to check them out https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-accommodations/the-haven

Not really. It depends on which class of ship you are on. The Jewel and Dawn class ships Haven area is not worth the added cost. I'd rather hang out on an aft SF suite balcony, than squeeze into the haven area. The newer class ships have much more to the Haven experience, but the cost has gotten out of hand.

Not really. It depends on which class of ship you are on. The Jewel and Dawn class ships Haven area is not worth the added cost. I'd rather hang out on an aft SF suite balcony, than squeeze into the haven area. The newer class ships have much more to the Haven experience, but the cost has gotten out of hand.

Dawn class don't have a Haven. I agree the cost has gotten out of hand.

Edited by dexddd

I have been in a H4 on the Pearl, Jade and tomorrow the Gem. I also went to Alaska on the Jewel in a SC.

Personally, I do not think the Haven is worth 2K (but I am willing to pay it considering the overall cost of the vacation). You get all of the goodies in the SC and there are plenty of great public areas to relax on deck and in the Spinnaker lounge for instance.

If you are traveling on a cruise with several sea days and especially to a place with cold weather, the Haven is more attractive since it has the only retractable roof solarium/small pool/jacuzzi tub on the ship that I know of.