Princess vs. Royal Caribbean with kids

dogsambam

We are a family of 4 (mom, dad, 7 year old boy and 11 year old girl). We are booked on 10 night Royal Caribbean Allure of Seas Christmas/New Years cruise and 10 night Royal Princess Christmas cruise. We have been on Oasis class ships, and wife and myself on Princess. We carry status with both lines. I would love to hear folks with kids opinions regarding if our kids will have enough to do on a 10 day Princess cruise. We know all the main differences regarding the RCCL bells and whistles. The Princess ship is way less in price. I just need to hear some experiences of Princess with kids. Our kids are also not big kids club fans. Any help would be much appreciated.

We have cruised with grandkids in the same age range or younger as your kids on both lines, On the Royal Princess and on Freedom class on RC, not Oasis class so can't comment on that. The kids loved them both, although the pool areas are nicer for kids on RC, for ours a pool is a pool, they have fun everywhere and don't use the Flowrider, rock climbing wall, etc. anyhow.

Since you know the difference in the two lines if the price difference is large that would probably make up my mind!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

My kids have done the kids clubs on both lines and I think they are more similar than different. I also thought both lines were similar for room, food, etc. Personally if it's a big savings I'd choose Princess, but only you can tell if the bells and whistles on Allure are worth the difference

It really depends on YOUR kids. If they are not big kids club fans then they will have to busy themselves outside of the organized activities, given their ages they will be with you most of the time. Holiday cruises are usually PACKED with families so they should have no trouble finding others to hang out with as well.

BUT if your kids need stuff to do to keep them busy and happy (rock climbing, flow rider, pool activities) then RCI would be better. As you know, there is none of that on Princess. Our kids, now 16 and 13, prefer Princess. They have for years. We've offered to go big ship RCI so they can experience all the stuff, but they say no, they prefer relaxing on Princess. Our kids are fine playing ping pong, shooting hoops (Royal uses the BB court for adult fitness classes a lot of the time so the BB court is sometimes not available), going for a swim, reading, relaxing, hanging with other kids and hanging with us onboard and onshore excursions. When they were younger, they did stay in the kids clubs a lot of the time as they enjoyed it and enjoyed the socializing.

You have to consider what it is your kids like to do on board - Princess may or may not meet their needs.

Royal has fewer pools than the older ships. One big main, deep pool. One round pool next to it that is a "plunge pool" but that the little kids usually take over. One adults pool. That is it. It can get very crowded. Also, no milkshakes on Royal. They have gelato for a fee.

Talk to your kids and consider their needs. Although, "way less in price" would be a big factor for us! :)

We are a family of 4 (mom, dad, 7 year old boy and 11 year old girl). We are booked on 10 night Royal Caribbean Allure of Seas Christmas/New Years cruise and 10 night Royal Princess Christmas cruise. We have been on Oasis class ships, and wife and myself on Princess. We carry status with both lines. I would love to hear folks with kids opinions regarding if our kids will have enough to do on a 10 day Princess cruise. We know all the main differences regarding the RCCL bells and whistles. The Princess ship is way less in price. I just need to hear some experiences of Princess with kids. Our kids are also not big kids club fans. Any help would be much appreciated.

Rcl is much better with kids.